2024 NWSL Kits/Branding

Digby

First news: 

The Seattle-area team most recently known as OL Reign is in the process of being sold and is returning to its original name of Seattle Reign FC, as well as the original branding with an updated color scheme. This was a no-brainer but I'm pleasantly surprised that it's happening so quickly, and bringing back the original top-tier crest. (Not loving the update of adding gold to it, but fine.)

• Love 5

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I'm mostly glad we didn't keep the red shoe-horned in, but I agree that the gold is still a big downgrade from the silver. Alongside the darkened and reduced use of blue, this scheme feels slightly uncomfortably LAFC-ish...

Was kinda expecting that they would wait until the Sounders purchase went through, so that they could unify or at least refresh the branding all at once... Because it's hard to say whether the new ownership will stick with this logo/color scheme exactly as-is.

But most importantly, it's just a huge relief that the team's proper name and logo elements are back!

Also, curious if the Thorns will get any change now that they've sold... Personally, I hope all they do is return to red primaries and the full-color logo.

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

I'm mostly glad we didn't keep the red shoe-horned in, but I agree that the gold is still a big downgrade from the silver. Alongside the darkened and reduced use of blue, this scheme feels slightly uncomfortably LAFC-ish...

That crest looks like a quick Photoshop recolor job if you look closely, so I'm wondering if it'll still be tweaked ... but not a lot of time for a move of this magnitude. I do think blue, a darkish-teal maybe too, and silver are the best look for them. The Sounders color scheme wouldn't fit this logo and it's too good to start anew. But anything that's a step away from the international franchization of teams is a positive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

Also, curious if the Thorns will get any change now that they've sold... Personally, I hope all they do is return to red primaries and the full-color logo.

I would be extremely surprised if the new ownership changes the badge. If they did, it wouldn’t be for another year or two but I think there’s too strong of a bond between the fanbase and the current badge for them to even consider changing it. I would definitely be on board with them returning to the full-color logo full time, though. As for red primary kits… I’ve heard that they’re supposed to return to them this year.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

57 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I would be extremely surprised if the new ownership changes the badge. If they did, it wouldn’t be for another year or two but I think there’s too strong of a bond between the fanbase and the current badge for them to even consider changing it. I would definitely be on board with them returning to the full-color logo full time, though. As for red primary kits… I’ve heard that they’re supposed to return to them this year.

I'd like to see a simplification of the badge. Remove the outer circle and the words and use the thorns and soccer ball on their own. It isn't the kind of wholesale change that would upset a fanbase, but it can still symbolize the switch to a new era. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Thorns badge could be tweaked. That Bank Gothic font choice was dated from the day they released it, beyond being way too boxy for a round badge. But the colors and graphic elements are hard to beat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd like to see a simplification of the badge. Remove the outer circle and the words and use the thorns and soccer ball on their own. It isn't the kind of wholesale change that would upset a fanbase, but it can still symbolize the switch to a new era. 

Now that’s something I could definitely get behind and could potentially see them doing. The partial logo has looked great on the training gear the last couple years:

spacer.png

They could strip it down completely and just use the thorns and the rose/ball without the container shape but I think it works best like this^. Just make the thorns green again and it would be perfect IMO.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

The whole Bay FC approach to branding is really confounding to me. The aesthetics of the Bay Area are colorful -- the natural elements, the architecture, the annoying loudness of Silicon Valley culture. Why are they trying to rep staid old-timey New York City on a grey winter's day? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Massive%20Nike%20NWSL%20Kit%20Leak%20%20

EA Sports leaked some NWSL jerseys as well. That Portland home shirt is so disappointing, if true. Did the Washington Spirit officially recolor their logo? Because they will not be wearing red or blue this year. 

2023-2024 home jersey with iridescent logos.

Tori_1_421de82c-89d6-4604-94a8-8e758bf30

2023-2024 Orlando Pride home jersey. At least they won't clash with Houston if they wear their primary kits. 

pride-7-min.jpgMassive%20Nike%20NWSL%20Kit%20Leak%20%20

The move towards some women's teams trying to eliminate white shorts, I think Orlando has the best group of uniforms this year, for the moment. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/29/2024 at 11:33 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Massive%20Nike%20NWSL%20Kit%20Leak%20%20

EA Sports leaked some NWSL jerseys as well. That Portland home shirt is so disappointing, if true. Did the Washington Spirit officially recolor their logo? Because they will not be wearing red or blue this year. 

2023-2024 home jersey with iridescent logos.

Tori_1_421de82c-89d6-4604-94a8-8e758bf30

2023-2024 Orlando Pride home jersey. At least they won't clash with Houston if they wear their primary kits. 

pride-7-min.jpgMassive%20Nike%20NWSL%20Kit%20Leak%20%20

The move towards some women's teams trying to eliminate white shorts, I think Orlando has the best group of uniforms this year, for the moment. 

That Thorns shirt is actually their away for this season. They’re returning to red for their home kits this year (although that pale yellow color will be an accent color on the home kit as well). 

I can‘t confirm this quite yet, but I believe every team is actually getting two new kits this year and every team will be getting one kit with that diagonal gradient design seen on the Thorns, Spirit, and Gotham away shirt leaks. Previously the Thorns were the only NWSL club to get kits and training gear on Nike’s top-tier template but I think Nike is finally expanding that to all of the teams this year.

As for Orlando, that home kit from last year is getting replaced this year. I would bet on it having the diagonal gradient design. Either black and purple or two shades of purple.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• 4 weeks later...

mytq9j3guhpye1znbebm.jpg

h8qnbc4ipngqnatocfz1.jpg

ze1hdxsxvjkegx8cutml.jpg

Orlando has released their home and away uniforms. The away "Citrus Kit" and home "Phoenix Kit". 

pride 1-min.jpgpride-7-min.jpg

San Diego Wave with a banger!! The blue and pink jerseys are okay, but I love that "Del Sol" jersey.

Launch-Graphic-1638x2048.png

wave-2-min.jpgwave-9-min.jpg

wave-4-min.jpg

Chicago Red Stars

sp24-nwsl-na-redstars-duo-01-4x5.jpg?_a=BAAAROBssp24-nwsl-na-redstars-primary-detail-01-4x5.jpg?_a=BAAAROBs

Houston Dash

sp24-nwsl-na-houstondash-primary-02-4x5.jpg?_a=BAAAROBs

Racing Louisville (and 2024 league ball)

CCM_RACING_LOUISVILLE_STUDIO_0500-1536x1

Portland Thorns

sp24-nwsl-na-portlandthorns-duo-03-digti

Utah Royals

sp24-nwsl-na-utahroyals-duo-02-4x5.jpg?_

Seattle (no longer OL) Reign

sp24-nwsl-na-seattlereign-duo-02-4x5.jpg

https://about.nike.com/en/newsroom/collections/national-womens-soccer-league-nwsl-2024-kits-official-images

"For the first time ever, all 14 teams in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) will receive new, reimagined primary and secondary kits, featuring designs that convey each club’s rich identity.

Each team’s primary kits express their unique stories through color and graphics while the secondary kits are inspired by the strength of the collective. The pre-match tops feature a shared design created by stacking traditional team crests on top of each other, adding textures and colors to symbolically unite the clubs. 

A major update this season: Nike has removed white shorts from the entire 2024 uniform lineup, responding to NWSL players who cited them as a distraction on the pitch. The match-day kits also feature Nike Dri-FIT ADV technology, which provides reinforcement, mobility and breathability where it’s needed most. 

Fans can see the 2024 kits live during the NWSL Challenge Cup on March 15 and season kickoff on March 16".

sb8hrB5.png

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They've all dropped today. Everyone gets a bespoke primary and a secondary in this diagonal-gradient aesthetic. Too lazy to paste all the links so here ya go: https://nwslshop.com/collections/2024-unisex-jerseys

Lots of bold choices, some good and some bad. That San Diego sunset pattern jersey is the obvious banger of the year.

Of particular note: Portland is back to red at home and seems to have changed its color scheme to red with lime yellowish-green. Bay FC has that navy logo but their shirts are all varying shades of grey? Seattle Reign has the classic logo back but is using a navy base with metallic gold trim, none of the dark teal or silver they had like the old days. Washington seems stuck in year two of this weird black/yellow temp scheme.

37 minutes ago, Digby said:

They've all dropped today. Everyone gets a bespoke primary and a secondary in this diagonal-gradient aesthetic. Too lazy to paste all the links so here ya go: https://nwslshop.com/collections/2024-unisex-jerseys

Lots of bold choices, some good and some bad. That San Diego sunset pattern jersey is the obvious banger of the year.

Of particular note: Portland is back to red at home and seems to have changed its color scheme to red with lime yellowish-green. Bay FC has that navy logo but their shirts are all varying shades of grey? Seattle Reign has the classic logo back but is using a navy base with metallic gold trim, none of the dark teal or silver they had like the old days. Washington seems stuck in year two of this weird black/yellow temp scheme.

The lime yellowish-green is just for these kits, not indicative of a brand change. There isn’t really reasoning given for the color, other than the usual marketing speak about joy, passion, energy, etc.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The lime yellowish-green is just for these kits, not indicative of a brand change. There isn’t really reasoning given for the color, other than the usual marketing speak about joy, passion, energy, etc.

I'm guessing they want to stand out and go home vs home kits when playing Seattle. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This whole rollout is almost universally a mess, and giving every team the same template in different colors for the secondary (three teams in different shades of pink, no less) is perhaps an unintentional callback to season one of the NWSL, when everyone got stuck with Nike Teamwear off the rack.

Nike Soccer is in The Bad Place right now and something needs to be given a hard reset in that operation.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.