24-25 NBA changes

DJT

19 hours ago, sky1324 said:

A lot of people, I bet. The mint scheme in particular is super popular in Charlotte and it's been a few years since the last mint-colored one. As a matter of personal preference, I hate the "Buzz City" schtick so I like seeing Charlotte on it instead.

To a point a few of us made a year or two ago, the soccer team missed the boat on "Charlotte Mint FC" and taking that lane for themselves. Now the Hornets are straddling mint and the teal/purple they went out of their way to get back, which is suboptimal, but then again apparently every NBA team has to have like three concurrent color schemes whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Charlotte wordmark-swap is odd, I'll say that, but otherwise I don't see the problem with many of these being color swaps of previous renditions. Some successful, some not so much, but as I've said before, I'd rather teams follow the Vice route and develop out some of these alternate identities over a few seasons than blow everything up and start over with probably a worse idea every single time. And, like, the Celtics did something very new here, and who wouldn't have preferred a color-swapped version of either of their last two Citys?

The mothership article's repeated description of so many of the new City Editions as "a home version of last season's" really puts emphasis on how much this idea is cooked. This was all part of the NBA's push to be The Next Global League, borrowing the aesthetics of top-tier soccer in an attempt to will themselves into being as big as soccer. Of course, soccer teams/football clubs have actual primary, secondary, and tertiary uniforms, adhere to those designations well beyond "what do we want to push/sell," and either know better than to dilute their historical look or find out quickly where the line gets crossed. The NBA tries to copy another sport's fashion and attempts to tack the "alternates whenever" American approach onto it and has made a complete dog's breakfast of the whole league.

• Like 6
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

The Charlotte wordmark-swap is odd, I'll say that, but otherwise I don't see the problem with many of these being color swaps of previous renditions. Some successful, some not so much, but as I've said before, I'd rather teams follow the Vice route and develop out some of these alternate identities over a few seasons than blow everything up and start over with probably a worse idea every single time. And, like, the Celtics did something very new here, and who wouldn't have preferred a color-swapped version of either of their last two Citys?

Here’s what that would have looked like spacer.png

• Like 2

r/warriors - City Edition Leak 2024 and Backside of the Classics Leak

I'm not sure how I feel about this jersey yet. On the one hand i'm glad it's not black again (it's just gonna be the new black statements for a few years) so we finally got some new colors going on. I like the Red and Navy Blue + Gold colors. I think the Golden Gate bridge design is a cool idea to go for, i always thought they should do something related to it, but it would be better if maybe like a depiction of the actual bridge was the center instead of Golden State. Also maybe the number font will make it look better idk. 

• Hurl 1

1 hour ago, PelsFanArgentina said:

technically, if you look at the template, if last year City edition in black and a new font

Yeah, I did notice that, which is bizarre as I'm not sure that motif is something that bears repeating. If last year's was the super-throwback to Naismith's peach baskets, I'm already bracing myself for some marketing copy about this year's representing the future of the game or whatever. But still with peach basket weaves for some reason.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The mothership article's repeated description of so many of the new City Editions as "a home version of last season's" really puts emphasis on how much this idea is cooked. This was all part of the NBA's push to be The Next Global League, borrowing the aesthetics of top-tier soccer in an attempt to will themselves into being as big as soccer. Of course, soccer teams/football clubs have actual primary, secondary, and tertiary uniforms, adhere to those designations well beyond "what do we want to push/sell," and either know better than to dilute their historical look or find out quickly where the line gets crossed. The NBA tries to copy another sport's fashion and attempts to tack the "alternates whenever" American approach onto it and has made a complete dog's breakfast of the whole league.

Yeah i agree, i noticed a lot of the teams like the Heat, Nets, Nuggets (a few i remember off the top of my head) just like to make one design and just do recolors of the same design for like 2-3 years. I think the only year where I think collectively (for the most part) all teams did a good job was the 2022 ones where they did a mix of past jerseys designs. That was pretty creative.

3 hours ago, andregunts said:

Ok Im ready to fight someone, who has a problem with this MASTERPIECE ?!?!??!

spacer.png

I don’t like it at all. Just feels like a lazy nostalgia-grab because they know people will eat up anything with the dinosaur on it. The logo was a cool thing to celebrate Carter’s induction into the HoF, but I don’t think it works on the jersey (although I don’t think there’s been any logo-only jerseys I’ve ever liked). And all they really did was slap it on a black jersey with the sublimated jagged pinstripes, which have been used already. 

• Like 2

i dig the dinosaur logo. and im glad a lot of people like it. but me personally i feel like the jersey desperately needs a wordmark on top. traditionally the raptors always put a word on top and then a raptor below it. also based on the photo the logo looks like its shifted to the side a bit to fit for a number? which might just make or break the jersey. if it was centered there would still be plenty of space to put a number so im not sure why

• Like 2

On 9/17/2024 at 6:59 PM, SantosD_ said:

bafkreiglxofpjpdzzfzceys2nfje4akqhftjyza

Good:

Clippers

Grizzlies

Jazz

Raptors (this is fun in a Rays city way and will look better with a number.)

Suns

Good, but lazy color swaps:

Hornets

Sixers

Spurs

Bad:

Celtics

Heat

Nets

Nuggets

The rest are meh at best and bad at worst.

12 hours ago, patatouille said:

r/warriors - City Edition Leak 2024 and Backside of the Classics Leak

I'm not sure how I feel about this jersey yet. On the one hand i'm glad it's not black again (it's just gonna be the new black statements for a few years) so we finally got some new colors going on. I like the Red and Navy Blue + Gold colors. I think the Golden Gate bridge design is a cool idea to go for, i always thought they should do something related to it, but it would be better if maybe like a depiction of the actual bridge was the center instead of Golden State. Also maybe the number font will make it look better idk. 

3297_golden_state_warriors-alternate-202

This logo, without the "The BAY" script, recoloured and with a thin gold outline would have looked good in the center.

6 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

NBA Cup courts leak via NBA 2k25:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=8394617000628017&id=424189131004217

Look like league learn nothing from last season disaster.

True. Even though the designs themselves are better, it's still the same full-colored courts that is an eyesore and in many cases impossible to watch and ugly.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I would argue these are substantially better than the "runway" design we got last year. I could go without the whole court being in color, but these are less harmful.

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

We might think the courts were massive eyesores, but in the eyes of the NBA they did exactly what they were meant to do. The bright courts were purposely designed to catch viewers eyes and signify that these games "meant more" than an average regular season game. 

• Like 1