24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Reminds me of when the Dodgers and Red Sox played at the Coliseum in 2008spacer.png

The Coliseum was home to the Dodgers from 1958 to 1961.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The Coliseum was home to the Dodgers from 1958 to 1961.

I think the layout was slightly different then, so the left field dimensions weren't quite as ridiculous.

EDIT -- The good people at SABR confirm this.

The oval-shaped Coliseum was predictably difficult to configure for baseball, producing very short dimensions in left field (250 feet down the line, 320 to left-center) and distant fences in center (425 feet) and right-center fields (440).6 The Dodgers erected the screen atop the left-field wall to help reduce the number of home runs, but many baseball people feared that Babe Ruth’s single-season home run record was in jeopardy.

March 29, 2008. In an exhibition game celebrating the Dodgers’ 50th anniversary in Los Angeles, the Dodgers lose to the Red Sox, 7–4, before 115,300 at the Coliseum—setting a new world record for attendance at a baseball game. Because of renovations on the Coliseum’s running track and football field, the left-field wall is only 201 feet from home plate at the foul line, and the left-field screen is 60 feet high.

A Home Like No Other: The Dodgers in L.A. Memorial Coliseum

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Reminds me of when the Dodgers and Red Sox played at the Coliseum in 2008

A baseball field might fit better.  This is what Bristol looked like for the Tennessee-VA Tech game.  You'd still have to fit inside the banked turns.

usa-today-9533214.0.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

A baseball field might fit better.  This is what Bristol looked like for the Tennessee-VA Tech game.  You'd still have to fit inside the banked turns.

usa-today-9533214.0.jpg

Put home plate in the lower left corner where the football field is, and let the stands in left be empty and in play, so the players have to run out there to field balls.  Put the homerun wall somewhere like 30 rows up.  Center and right look fine.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Put home plate in the lower left corner where the football field is, and let the stands in left be empty and in play, so the players have to run out there to field balls.  Put the homerun wall somewhere like 30 rows up.  Center and right look fine.

And the gorilla.

• Applause 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:37 PM, infrared41 said:

What an incredibly dumb idea.

Lol yes correct and friends and I are already talking about going. 

I'm also going to Blue Jackets-Red Wings at Ohio Stadium in March. 2025 will be a big year for me and watching sports in venues that are way too big for the sport. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm surprised MLB beat the NHL to a Predators Stadium Series game there at Bristol, but you know what, I'm cool with these one-off event things in the middle of the summer to break up the monotony. The league's found something good with the Field of Dreams and Negro League Tribute games and they've done the Little League Classic for a while, so thinking outside the box for a Thursday Night game in July on Fox or a Sunday Night Baseball game in August is cool with me

(as long as it doesn't screw up planning for some summer trips I have planned down the pike, and this doesn't screw up my plan to do a Guardians-Pirates-Reds-Tigers trip next year so)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

On 8/8/2024 at 11:00 AM, McCall said:

Why would they wait til AFTER they end a 21-game losing streak to fire him?

Good point. Gotta hand it to them they are trying hard to beat the A's in the who is the worst run team in baseball department

30 minutes ago, McCall said:

Reds And Braves To Play Historic Game At Bristol Motor Speedway In August  Of 2025

Another angle of the setup 

this is going to be interesting

3 hours ago, Sport said:

Lol yes correct and friends and I are already talking about going. 

I'm also going to Blue Jackets-Red Wings at Ohio Stadium in March. 2025 will be a big year for me and watching sports in venues that are way too big for the sport. 

For some perspective, Bristol's seating capacity is 146,000. That's like if the Horseshoe added Great American Ball Park to its seating capacity.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I guess it makes sense since baseball runners only make left turns.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."