24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

6 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Three or four pitchers having a solid outing isn't the same as one team not getting any freaking hits in the game.

It's exactly the same. The only reason you see it as special is because those three or four pitchers did it in the same game.

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's just a cool statistical thing that happens every now and then, it's not an accomplishment or something anyone should strive for. 

1 hour ago, LMU said:

I mean, It's fine to celebrate while acknowledging that it's a complete fluke and more often than not it only happens because of a bad bounce off an outfield wall or a really bad defensive read that allows for the triple.  To me, it's in the same realm as a combined no-hitter in that yes, it's a thing but it's much more due to an offense being completely inept on a given day as opposed to being a pitching magnum opus,  Same with a triple play which is 99% of the time just due to hitting to the wrong spot with a couple runners on base.

47 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Exactly. It's an uncommon stat line and should be treated as such, but it's not some supernatural event.

15 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Accordingly, a "combined no-hitter" isn't a "no-hitter" in my book.  It's just that one team didn't get any hits.  Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter was 1,000,000,000 times more impressive than the Astros combined no-hitter in the World Series a few years ago.  

We say that the Cubs shutout the Cardinals, not that the Cubs threw a shutout against the Cardinals, like you'd say that Johnny Pitcher pitched a shutout.  Therefore, it should be simply that the Cubs no-hit the Cardinals, or the Cardinals got no hits against the Cubs, not that the Cubs threw a "no hitter", the same way you'd say Johnny Pitcher threw a no hitter against the Cubs.

Someone else once said that a combined no-hitter is more like a "statistical anomaly" than an accomplishment.  I agree.

Everybody knows and agrees with all of these things lol. Nobody thinks hitting for the cycle is a crowning achievement or that a combined no-no is as impressive as one guy doing it all himself. They're just fun baseball quirks that come around every now and then, so people talk about them a bit then move on.

48 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Why do we even bother with combined no-hitters? Every pitcher on an MLB roster is capable of throwing a couple innings without giving up a hit. Is three or four pitchers having a few solid innings in the same game really something to celebrate?

The general reaction when one happens is "Oh cool, you don't see that too often." and the team will give some extra high fives afterwards. If you saw it in person you get a cool story to tell years later.  It's an appropriate level of mild celebration for a semi-rare event.

19 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Everybody knows and agrees with all of these things lol.

Did you actually laugh out load when you typed that or was it just rhetorical flourish?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

BB52Big.jpg

54 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It's exactly the same. The only reason you see it as special is because those three or four pitchers did it in the same game.

I disagree with your premise. A 'solid outing' is already defined (poorly) as three earned runs or less in 6 innings or more -- a Quality Start. A Quality Start gets you a 4.50 ERA.

Giving up no hits is much more than a solid outing, in much the same manner as getting a single double triple and homer in one game is better than doing it in four consecutive at bats over the course of two games. In both of those cases, we'd talk about one of them, but not the other.

It's where I sit.

39 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I disagree with your premise. A 'solid outing' is already defined (poorly) as three earned runs or less in 6 innings or more -- a Quality Start. A Quality Start gets you a 4.50 ERA.

Giving up no hits is much more than a solid outing, in much the same manner as getting a single double triple and homer in one game is better than doing it in four consecutive at bats over the course of two games. In both of those cases, we'd talk about one of them, but not the other.

A pitcher throwing three no-hit innings is a non-event.  So why is a pitcher throwing three no-hit innings and then three others each  throwing two no-hit innings an event?  That's hardly pitching dominance by anyone.  That's a case of offensive ineptitude by the other team.

Re: cycle (not specifically replying to you here) - it's not a feat because nobody tries for it.  It just happens.  In 2014, Kory Seager had a double, two triples, and a HR in the same game - objectively better than a cycle - but that doesn't get celebrated at all.  Ryan Howard had a double, triple, and 2 HR in a game - but again, just a good game.

Nobody in their right mind who's in position for a cycle but only needs a single, would ever split the gap but then simply stop on first base to be able to clinch the cycle.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In modern pitching philosophy, greatness is being allowed to face batters for a third or fourth time.  So, throwing in a few pitchers who don't even see the entire lineup once removes any real accomplishment other than a few members of the pitching staff doing their jobs.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

They're achievements that I'd like to say I've seen. I was lucky enough to be in the stands when Nolan Ryan won his 300th game. I was present for Rickey Henderson breaking the single season steal record. I went to games on three straight days to see Robin Yount collect career hits 2998, then 2999, and finally 3000.

[insert it's still real to me dammit gif]

These are actually all really cool things to have seen live - I'm jealous.  We'll never see a 300 game winner again (the win stat should be abolished IMO) and the stolen base record will never be broken, but I've always wanted to see a 3k hit or 500th HR live, though more so when 500 meant what it used to.  It may be a long-ass time before we see another 3,000th hit too.  

Glancing at stats, Lindor may have a shot?  Freeman is the active hits leader, but needs 5 more career-average years (my math may be slightly off there) and that could be asking a bit much, but he'll come really close.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One of my biggest regrets - turned down an invite to go to the game when Scooter Gennett hit four home runs. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-scooter-gennett-hits-4-homers-in-1-game-c234759068

I forget why I said no. I think had to wake up extra early the next morning or something. Kicked myself while watching at home. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

33 minutes ago, Sport said:

One of my biggest regrets - turned down an invite to go to the game when Scooter Gennett hit four home runs. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-scooter-gennett-hits-4-homers-in-1-game-c234759068

I forget why I said no. I think had to wake up extra early the next morning or something. Kicked myself while watching at home. 

I, too, kicked myself while watching that game at home.😒

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Did you actually laugh out load when you typed that or was it just rhetorical flourish?

The latter lol.

53 minutes ago, BBTV said:

A pitcher throwing three no-hit innings is a non-event.  So why is a pitcher throwing three no-hit innings and then three others each  throwing two no-hit innings an event?  That's hardly pitching dominance by anyone.  That's a case of offensive ineptitude by the other team.

Re: cycle (not specifically replying to you here) - it's not a feat because nobody tries for it.  It just happens.  In 2014, Kory Seager had a double, two triples, and a HR in the same game - objectively better than a cycle - but that doesn't get celebrated at all.  Ryan Howard had a double, triple, and 2 HR in a game - but again, just a good game.

Nobody in their right mind who's in position for a cycle but only needs a single, would ever split the gap but then simply stop on first base to be able to clinch the cycle.

This reminds me of one of my favorite baseball clips. Jeff Frye pulls up at first on a would-be double to complete the cycle. Kelly Gruber - the only other Jay to hit for the cycle - is at the game (or was part of the staff? never figured out where he comes from) and walks out onto the field  to congratulate him. It's all so beautifully coincidental in a way only baseball can be.

Final hit is at 1:47

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Semantics. You know what I meant.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

59 minutes ago, Sport said:

I turned down an invite to a Blue Jays - Indians game in 1981. Other than the fact that Len Barker pitched a perfect game that night and I never heard the end of it from the friend who invited me,  I have no regrets. 😎

• Sad 2

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

The latter lol.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the point in claiming you did?

Since I'm here, did you actually laugh out loud this time?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

These are actually all really cool things to have seen live - I'm jealous.  We'll never see a 300 game winner again (the win stat should be abolished IMO) and the stolen base record will never be broken, but I've always wanted to see a 3k hit or 500th HR live, though more so when 500 meant what it used to.  It may be a long-ass time before we see another 3,000th hit too.  

Glancing at stats, Lindor may have a shot?  Freeman is the active hits leader, but needs 5 more career-average years (my math may be slightly off there) and that could be asking a bit much, but he'll come really close.

Two other big time misses:

The one time I happened to be in a position to see a game at Rodgers Center, we chose to go on the night AFTER a no-hitter was thrown.

When the hurricane (or Bud Selig - you take your pick) caused the Cubs and Astros to play in Milwaukee, I decided to not go at the last minute. Zambranono followed, dammit.

My youngest son is totally aware of this, and pokes me literally every game we are at with 'there's goes the chance for a no-hitter'.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, McCall said:

I, too, kicked myself while watching that game at home.😒

87 career homers and 4 of them were in that game. Weird. 

51 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I turned down an invite to a Blue Jays - Indians game in 1981. Other than the fact that Len Barker pitched a perfect game that night and I never heard the end of it from the friend who invited me,  I have no regrets. 😎

Hahah whoops. I know everyone in Cleveland claims they were at the game that night, but my grandfather and uncle really were. The funny thing about that is neither one was a sports fan and those two probably watched a combined 10 baseball games in their entire lives. I think my uncle won the tickets at school somehow? The best part is they left after the 7th inning to "beat traffic" (really the old man was just bored) so they didn't even see the whole perfect game. 

• LOL 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, Sport said:

Hahah whoops. I know everyone in Cleveland claims they were at the game that night

Remarkable how a crowd of eleventy-thousand-thousand that night looked an awful lot like a crowd of about 7,000. Then again, the old stadium was pretty big.

My buddy started buying season tickets way back then. Dude was the diehard's diehard fan. He went to more games to watch those awful 80s teams than anyone should have been subjected to. Long story short, getting in on season tickets back then resulted in him having behind seats behind home plate at Progressive. The season tickets he had at Progressive from the inaugural season  through about 2004 were 9 rows from the field about a third of the way from home plate and first. He ended up with front row about 10 feet to the left of home plate. Needless to say, I didn't turn down those tickets very often. I got to see a lot of great games from those seats - including seeing Asdrubal Cabrera turn an unassisted triple play against, ironically, the Blue Jays.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Rule changes that need to be implemented immediately:

1.  Framing pitches should warrant an ejection.  It's one thing to strategically move your glove as you're catching the ball, but some of these jerkoffs are catching it then moving it right to the middle, which is straight-up insulting to everyone's intelligence.  And they do it every pitch, as if the pitcher never throws balls.  

It should be "catchers interference" since it's designed to interfere with the ump's ability to make an accurate call.

First offense - catcher is warned.  Second offense - ejected.  Third offense - castrated.  Fourth offense - the manager is castrated.

2.  Not a rule, but let's get rid of the "box".  It's static, while the strike zone isn't.   Plus, each broadcast of the same game could have a slightly-different box, so right off the bat there's going to be different commentary about the same pitches.  I'm all for robocops calling the balls and strikes, but until we're there, these boxes just cause unnecessary angst.

3.  If you hit a home run, you shouldn't have to run the bases yourself.  You can "tag in" your team's mascot, or, in the absence of a mascot, a dance troop or party line.  It's silly to have to waste the energy after hitting the ball 400 feet.  The Presidents could run the bases, or the Phanatic, or get gymnasts to do backflips the whole way around.

EDIT:

4. Appeals on check swings need to be limited.  EVERY SINGLE GODDAM CHECK SWING IS APPEALED.  The home plate umpire needs to be like "no - I saw it".  Make it a challenge system, so you only get one or two.  They're only right like 60% of the time (my own estimation) and it's like every. single. check swing. 

Hell - the idiot-pitch-framing catchers are calling for the appeal even as the home plate umpire is calling it a swinging strike anyway.  I'm sick of it.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

3.  If you hit a home run, you shouldn't have to run the bases yourself.  You can "tag in" your team's mascot, or, in the absence of a mascot, a dance troop or party line.  It's silly to have to waste the energy after hitting the ball 400 feet.  The Presidents could run the bases, or the Phonetic, or get gymnasts to do backflips the whole way around.

Or...

fa098b38862a1593b742ee943aea655b.gif

BB52Big.jpg