24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

1 hour ago, Olmec said:

"Mets fans, it's time to face reality. You're not watching a baseball team—you’re watching a tragic comedy where the punchline is always your team’s failure. 6-1 down, about to get bounced from the NLCS, and playing like they’ve never even seen a baseball. Honestly, the Mets should have just stayed home and saved themselves the embarrassment. I’d say ‘there’s always next year,’ but let’s be real, we all know that’s just code for another season of underachievement and shattered dreams. If you’re still holding on to hope, maybe take a break and ask yourself why you chose this life of endless disappointment in the first place. Mets fandom: it’s not just a curse, it’s a lifestyle. Good luck next century!"

- ChatGPT

the vast majority of baseball fans have what I can only describe as a very Kiwi Farms-esque relationship with the Mets. grow up.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

idk, man, considering the state of this team in mid-May, I'll happily take getting to game 6 of the NLCS. they killed just about every unfunny joke along the way - got hot in June, got hot in September, beat the Braves when it mattered, everything. the Dodgers are an absolute buzzsaw, and they still managed to take the series back to LA. regardless of what the A-Logs of the baseball world seem to think, there's no shame in that in my book.

now, with that out of the way, there's news that needs to be spread.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

53Ocz8U.png

On 10/18/2024 at 1:01 PM, Digby said:

It is crazy to me that seemingly every MLB ballpark has been in the business of removing these seats for these hangout bars and such over the past decade. I generally prefer General Admission zones for casual game-attending so I have no issues with this as a trend, but wasn't Jacobs Field one of those places that they didn't even have enough seats to get everyone in during their 90s hot years?

The 455-game sellout streak was such a perfect storm that it's almost astonishing — you had a new ballpark opening at the same time Cleveland fielded its first truly competitive team in 35 years*, then got to layer on the impacts of playoff expansion and realignment, the Browns moving half a season into the streak, and then baseball's general post-strike renaissance.

Re: playoff expansion, obviously the '95 team that started the streak would've almost certainly won the old AL East (they were 100-44), and the '96 team would've at worst been in a tight race with New York, but the streak probably dies in '97 or '98 without it. The '97 team that lost the World Series was 12 games worse than Baltimore and 10 worse than New York (despite the weak AL Central schedule), and the '98 team would've been miles off New York's pace in any alignment. It's not just that they were good for the first time in forever here, it's that playoff expansion gave them the opportunity to stay good for longer.

Once all that momentum died out after the really poor '02 season, it reverted to being a small market with geography that doesn't necessarily lend itself well to great weeknight attendance.

*Excluding the strike-shortened 1981 season, Cleveland hadn't finished within 10 games of the pennant/division since 1959.

• Like 3

6fQjS3M.png

2 hours ago, SavardToColton said:

Can't say I like either team but it's definitely going to be a heavyweight matchup. All the star power on both sides should make it some damn good baseball. Just stinks we have to wait to Friday for it to start

That's a long amount of time off. They'll probably forget to play baseball over that time period, right? /s

This postseason should put to rest all the complainers that said the bye format hurts the top seeds because ballplayers can't take a few days off.

• Like 3

It seems like the format is hardest on the middle teams, which sounds weird, because the team that finished 6th out of 15 is more "in the middle" than the division-winning Brewers or Astros. Seems like the best plan is to be really really good or get hot late and snag a wild card, but being the third-best division champion is kind of a poisoned chalice.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

It seems like the format is hardest on the middle teams, which sounds weird, because the team that finished 6th out of 15 is more "in the middle" than the division-winning Brewers or Astros. Seems like the best plan is to be really really good or get hot late and snag a wild card, but being the third-best division champion is kind of a poisoned chalice.

Definitely, those teams are already not as good and don't have the advantage of a hot streak.

Also, this reminds me that the Brewers' curse ended this year. The Mets didn't win the Pennant.