2024 WNBA Thread

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Which is a shame because they should be there. But they also probably have the next 12 years on lock.

They have a really good chance in 2028 because Diana Taurasi will not be there and there's the likelihood of this being the final Olympics for Brittney Griner and Alyssa Thomas.  Griner will be 37 in 2028 and Thomas 36 in 2028.  Jewel Loyd is going to be 34 at that time and Chelsea Gray is going to be 35 in 2028, so they are maybes for 2028.  Everyone else is likely to return.  With the possibility of 3-4 spots open,  Clark, Reese and Paige Bueckers have really good chances at getting those spots.  I'll be shocked if none of those three are on the 2028 squad.  Cameron Brink has a good shot if she can stay healthy and play at a high level.

I am not 100% certain that USC's Juju Watkins will be on that team in 2028.  Watkins will be in the league by then, and will likely dominate the league, but she's not going to take the spot of someone like Naphessa Collier or Sabrina Ionescu at least not in 2028.  I think the only way Watkins makes the team is if there's an injury.    She, Clark, Reese and Bueckers will no doubt make up the quartet of the team in 2032 as most of the players now will probably be done with Team USA after the 2028 Olympics.  Watkins still has a shot at 2028 in 3x3 if she focuses on it during the NCAA or WNBA offseason.  

One player to look out for is Notre Dame's Hannah Hidalgo.  She's another one projected to be a 1st round pick in 2026 or 2027.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Connecticut Sun are playing a home game at the Boston Garden tonight. Surprisingly, first time that's happened in 20 years (a reversal of the pre-New Garden years when the Celtics would play in Hartford (and Providence) a few times a year.) Also surprisingly, they've got the place sold out.

Interesting to consider a future if/when the Mohegan Tribe decides it wants out of the team ownership business, and this franchise would make a move to Boston.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Connecticut Sun are playing a home game at the Boston Garden tonight. Surprisingly, first time that's happened in 20 years (a reversal of the pre-New Garden years when the Celtics would play in Hartford (and Providence) a few times a year.) Also surprisingly, they've got the place sold out.

Interesting to consider a future if/when the Mohegan Tribe decides it wants out of the team ownership business, and this franchise would make a move to Boston.

Looking at the Sun and its average attendance, it looks like it has been roughly middle-of-the-pack, which isn't too bad given its location. I'm thinking that a hypothetical move to Boston would be a plus for them given the size of the market. Plus, with the league becoming gradually more popular, maybe they would be looking to being in a more attractive destination for the larger influx of traveling fans. Obviously, you do have to consider if 1. The Mohegan Tribe is even looking to sell and 2. If there is a likely ownership group out there that would be a realistic option for them.

With all of that said though, I do kind of find it cool that they're the one professional sports team representing their region without being somewhere in Massachusetts.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Looking at the Sun and its average attendance, it looks like it has been roughly middle-of-the-pack, which isn't too bad given its location. I'm thinking that a hypothetical move to Boston would be a plus for them given the size of the market. Plus, with the league becoming gradually more popular, maybe they would be looking to being in a more attractive destination for the larger influx of traveling fans. Obviously, you do have to consider if 1. The Mohegan Tribe is even looking to sell and 2. If there is a likely ownership group out there that would be a realistic option for them.

With all of that said though, I do kind of find it cool that they're the one professional sports team representing their region without being somewhere in Massachusetts.

They're one of those teams who play in a smaller arena, so between that and the location, they're always going to have an upper limit to what they can draw. And the location has been a turn-off for certain players to play there, too. But, they've been a really well-run franchise throughout their tenure and have had Bills-like luck in actually securing a title, so they've done well for themselves despite the limitations.

I'm curious if they made much/any money on playing at the Garden last night. The Celtics definitely helped organize and promote the game but it's not like they have arena control. (Also they trucked up the usual Sun floor, including the "Mohegan Sun Arena" logo on the court, which seemed silly. Would've been more fun, IMO, to have a parquet floor and Eddie Palladino doing PA. But I digress.) Tickets were said to be "sold out" but it looked to me like there were wide swaths of empty seats for groups that didn't actually show up, so guessing attendance was more in the 15-17k range. Still a nice night out for a WNBA team.

Pre- and post-game vibes around the Garden were really great too, people were really amped for this event. I will say it was a very welcome change of pace to have the bars and sidewalks packed with many generations of lesbians rather than the usual roving bro hordes.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

A third team is announced wit Golden State and Toronto.  Portland joins the party.

Who will be the 4th?

Omaha.

(It won't be...but I'm banking dollars on either Nashville or somewhere in Florida...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Denver, Philadelphia, Nashville and South Florida have been mentioned pretty frequently as potential cities for the 16th team. Will be curious if the political side hurts the bids in Nashville and South Florida (sorry for invoking politics, but I don't think it's possible to talk about expansion in a women's sports league without that factor). Would absolutely love to see Philadelphia, personally, but think the W might have more success in a market like Denver or Nashville?

Will be very curious how the Portland and Toronto expansion draft shakes out, assuming the WNBPA opts out of the CBA as expected. Pretty much every veteran in the league is a free agent going into 2026, which feels like it complicates the situation more than a little bit? Should have a better idea once they release the Golden State expansion draft rules soon.

6fQjS3M.png

The media has this narrative that Reese and Clark hate each other, which isn't true.  They have respect for each other and as shown in the All Star Game, they will work together and get along together for the greater good.  When they are teammates for Team USA in 2028, they will get along and work together for that Gold medal.  

So I had said earlier that I don't think Juju Watkins will be on Team USA because of how many players from 2024 will probably be returning.  The 2028 Olympics is in her hometown, but USA Basketball could have a Sparks player or two on that team to potentially avoid another PR disaster as when Clark was left off the team this year.  I still think Watkins will be in if someone from 2024 has to withdraw due to injuries.  They can put Brink on the team (if she's healthy) and if the Sparks take Paige Bueckers.