2024 NHL Offseason Thread

LMU

3 hours ago, LMU said:

To kick off the festivities.

jeff-goldblum-crazy-son-of-a-bitch.gif

Instant reaction is that I love this trade for both teams as it fills crucial voids, goalie for Kings and center for Caps.

14 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Instant reaction is that I love this trade for both teams as it fills crucial voids, goalie for Kings and center for Caps.

You get a center on an enormous contract who has been a problem on every team he's ever played. PLD is talented when he wants to be, but a headcase when he wants to be, which is 85% of the time.  

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/20/2024 at 9:33 AM, Sport said:

You get a center on an enormous contract who has been a problem on every team he's ever played. PLD is talented when he wants to be, but a headcase when he wants to be, which is 85% of the time.  

Aha, like a younger Kutznesov without the "Wanna Build A Snowman?" bump.

So is this Matvei Michkov guy that the Flyers just got out of Russia potentially as good as everyone here seems to think?  They're making it sound like he could be a top-5 player within a couple of seasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

So is this Matvei Michkov guy that the Flyers just got out of Russia potentially as good as everyone here seems to think?  They're making it sound like he could be a top-5 player within a couple of seasons.

If it weren't for his KHL contract situation he would've almost certainly gone 2nd after Bedard. Apparently he pulled a Jagr and manipulated the draft to make sure the Flyers took him. He was telling other teams in interviews that he wouldn't leave Russia if they drafted him, but told Philly a different story.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Apparently he pulled a Jagr and manipulated the draft to make sure the Flyers took him. He was telling other teams in interviews that he wouldn't leave Russia if they drafted him, but told Philly a different story.

That's bizarre.  Philadelphia used to be one of the most desired places to play, but that's decades ago.  In the post-Snider era, there's no reason for a young kid to want to play here any more or less than anywhere else.  If that's true, I wonder why he'd do that.

According to this site, he's somehow allowed to use his father's death to get the ability to buy out his contract early.  The Flyers (Keith Jones and Danny Brier) claim they were surprised, but I doubt that's the case.

From that link:

"According to a report from The Athletic’s Pierre Lebrun, Michkov is being granted his release “based on compassionate grounds” as the player’s father passed away a year ago. Interestingly enough, in the first report where the potential of Michkov coming over first began, SKA chairman Alexander Medvedev mentioned his father’s death as a reason why he could be heading overseas sooner than later, to not be reminded of him while playing in Russia and make the grieving process more difficult. Now, it looks like that played a major role into allowing Michkov to head off to the NHL."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

how are guys getting traded when the playoffs are still going on?  Is that a unique-to-hockey rule?

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

how are guys getting traded when the playoffs are still going on?  Is that a unique-to-hockey rule?

I'm not sure how the other leagues' trade "deadlines" are structured. But, for the NHL the trade deadline doesn't equal a ban on trades it just means any trade made after that date, those players cannot suit up for their new team until the following year. Technically, the Oilers and Panthers could be making trades right now. If I remember correctly, the Nuggets traded draft picks with someone in the middle of the finals last year, so maybe the NBA has the same rules.

There does seem to be a lot more activity this year than most, though.

• Like 2

jNTsTyQ.png

3 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

I'm not sure how the other leagues' trade "deadlines" are structured. But, for the NHL the trade deadline doesn't equal a ban on trades it just means any trade made after that date, those players cannot suit up for their new team until the following year. Technically, the Oilers and Panthers could be making trades right now. If I remember correctly, the Nuggets traded draft picks with someone in the middle of the finals last year, so maybe the NBA has the same rules.

There does seem to be a lot more activity this year than most, though.

Also, with the extra travel days in the Final and going all the way to game 7, the draft starts only 4 days from right now.

• Like 3

Seems a little unfair, because the finalists are focused on something a little more in the present, and aren't going to trade players off of their playoff rosters and shake up the chemistry for guys that wouldn't be eligible to suit up.  But if those are the rules 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Brass said:

Ullmark traded to the Senators for Korpisalo, Kastelic, and the 25th overall pick.

Bad.

I can't believe Staios actually got someone to take on the Korpisalo contract (or at least 75% of it). I assumed he was eventually getting bought out, so $1M for the next 4 years isn't bad at all.

The trade didn't come with an extension included, and there's rumblings that Ullmark may be interested in playing out the last year of his deal, but he wouldn't have waived his NMC if he didn't at least have a bit of interest in staying. Even if they don't manage to keep him long term, trading away 25th overall to dump Korpi is almost worth it on its own.

Blue Jackets fired GM Jarmo Kekalainen who'd been GM since 2013 and replaced him with Don Waddell. I liked Jarmo for a long time and he built a pretty good team for a few years there, but his management style got stale and the Mike Babcock thing was inexcusable. Also feels like he didn't know where he was going with this rebuild. I'm excited for fresh approaches in the organization. 

PvO6ZWJ.png