NFL in LA again!

Alphabet Man

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ill say it again.

The jets. They dont have their own stadium, and they're playing in a dual market. Im not syaing that id want the jets to move to LA but its the best choice imo

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

ill say it again.

The jets. They dont have their own stadium, and they're playing in a dual market. Im not syaing that id want the jets to move to LA but its the best choice imo

The Jets are planning to move to Manhattan, and I'd doubt it if they'd leave the NYC metropolitan area if they didn't get their new stadium.

A team would have to be an idiot to leave the NYC area. Sure LA is the second largest market however it is a distant second to New York as far as sports go. New York is a sports market, LA isn't. The Jets can make tons more money sharing Giants Stadium than they can in LA. It's not the 1950's where a move from New York out west could work, now it would hurt the team. Why do you think that the Jets aren't going to get that stadium on the West Side, and why do you think the youngest major sports facility in the area is over 20 years old. It's because people know that no team will move from the area.

as a chargers fan, i couldnt give a damn. ill still cheer for them if their in la or sd. from the nfl's standpoint, it would make sence to just relocate a team. it would also make even more sence to relocate a team that is alredy in the afc or nfc west. so the colts and vikings are out. id say the most likely choices would be the chargers or the cardinals.

Cardinals are currently constructing a stadium right next to the Glendale Arena and will open in 2006 and be the home of the Super Bowl in 2008, so that takes out the Cardinals

for me its a toss up of the green bay packers, chicago bears and ny giants that should consider relocating to LA. :grin:

now i got that shocking, disturbing and horrifying statement out of the way.

the best bet is probably moving the chargers to LA. THe chargers were in LA there inaugural season in the AFL. so they have been there before. that way you don't have to move the vikes or the colts.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Oh ya I know that the Jets wouldn't make money or anything moving to LA but personally I find it dumb they don't even have their own stadium? Will they, or should they is probably no, but i think their arrangement is pretty stupid...

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

For now, I am hoping the NFL does the easy thing and does not want to send a team from the NFC North out west and mess up the nice divisional alignments. That will buy the Vikings a couple of years before Red moves them to San Antonio. Hopefully they can win a Super Bowl before they move.

If the Vikings did move, I'd simply move them to the NFC West and put St. Louis in the North. That being said, the team most likely to move (Colts, IMO) also would create the most alignment turmoil. But I don't think that's too important.

The Minnesota legislature won't pay for new stadiums, but will spend gazillions of bucks on useless programs and too much salt for its roads.

If you lived where I lived in Minnesota, there's no such thing as too much salt for the roads.

The Minnesota legislature won't pay for new stadiums, but will spend gazillions of bucks on useless programs and too much salt for its roads.

If you lived where I lived in Minnesota, there's no such thing as too much salt for the roads.

Too much salt is always better than refusal to use salt...and then using sand. (Central Illinois)

Why would the owners approve a team in L.A. when all they need to do is bring up the notion of moving there to extort a new stadium from their city?

Because negotiations over new television contracts are fast approaching, and network executives are reportedly pointing out that the second largest media market in the country has no vested interest in a "hometown" team. Thus, these television "suits" are making noise about wanting to cut-back on the amount that they're willing to pay for a new television package.

Constructing a new stadium structure within the historic outer shell of the Coliseum is the front-running plan to serve as a Los Angeles-based team's home. Los Angeles civic leaders and business types are behind the historic stadium's efforts and the Coliseum Commission is way out in front of other contenders in terms of having their due diligence done (environmental impact reports, term sheets and memorandums of understanding submitted to NFL, etc.).

Construction of a new stadium in Anaheim has emerged as an 11th-hour option and - in the opinion of many - the new second-place proposal. The NFL itself approached Anaheim officials to see whether or not the municipality would be interested in building a stadium complex to house an Anaheim-based NFL franchise. The new facility would be built adjacent to Anaheim Stadium (home of MLB's Angels) and not far from the Arrowhead Pond (home of the NHL's Mighty Ducks). While any plans are in the preliminary stage, according to Mayor Curt Pringle, "there is significant interest from the Anaheim City Council and City management in bringing additional sports franchises to the City of Anaheim." The mayor said that an NFL franchise in Anaheim would be a "welcome addition".

A plan to house a Los Angeles-based NFL franchise in Pasadena's historic Rose Bowl was once seen as running "neck-and-neck" with the Coliseum efforts. However, significant concerns from both architectural preservationists and the Rose Bowl Committee would appear to be lengthening the odds against the NFL setting up shop in Pasadena.

Stadium plans in Carson and El Toro, California appear to be afterthoughts.

As for the issue of whether or not a Los Angeles-based team would be a relocated or expansion franchise, the NFL still maintains that either option is a possibility. Amongst the teams mentioned as likely relocation candidates, the New Orleans Saints are the new hot rumor as a front-runner to bolt the "Big Easy" for "LaLa Land". Other teams that are eyed as possibly taking up residence in Los Angeles are the San Diego Chargers (they currently claim LA as their "secondary market"), Indianapolis Colts and Minnesota Vikings. On the expansion side of the equation, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has repeatedly said that he would not rule out adding a 33rd NFL franchise. Further, he has gone on record as saying that he would prefer that the league and its owners be able to solve stadium problems within existing markets through the construction of new facilities in those markets. In other words, he'd rather not create a situation in New Orleans, San Diego, Indianapolis or Minnesota (i.e the NFL abandoning a market) such as the one the NFL is facing in Los Angles now.

Whichever way things play out in Los Angeles, multi-billionaire Oracle founder Larry Ellison has reportedly contacted league officials about his interest in owning a Los Angeles-based NFL franchise. It is unclear whether Ellison would prefer to buy an existing team and relocate it, or establish an expansion franchise from scratch. Either way, the NFL is reportedly intrigued by the prospect of bringing Ellison into the league's fold.

Too many moves in the NFL.

NFL = No Fan Loyalty, that is too true.

Are you kidding me? Making a joke?

The NFL has some of the most loyal fans in athletics. Nearly every team sells out every game. Packer fans are probably the most devoted fans I can think of, ahead of even the Yankee faithful. From the Northwest in Seattle to the North in Minnesota, to the Midwest in Cleveland, to the Northeast in Foxboro, to the Southeast in Miami, over to the South in Dallas, to the West in Oakland. And this is leaving dozens of great NFL cities out, like Denver, Washington, Philly, New York, etc, etc. Arizona's the only one I can think of that doesn't have a huge fan following, and they're upping the ante with a new ballpark. The NFL has some of the most inspired, dedicated fans in the world. In spite of all the moving around.

I also don't think that's even as bad as it seems... every other major league (baseball with the Expos, currently ongoing, basketball with the Hornets in 02, hockey with Hartford in 97) has had teams move since the NFL last had a team move from one location to another (Baltimore in 96).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

i agree with syphi. NFL fans are home to some of the most loyal fans out there. There are so many great franchises out there with huge fan bases.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

So is Toronto ever gonna get a team? :cry:

Not as long as SkyDone is 12,000 seats under the minimum requirement for an NFL stadium.

Support the Argos, man, especially after they build that new little stadium at York (is it still York U they're building with?)

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So is Toronto ever gonna get a team?  :cry:

Not as long as SkyDone is 12,000 seats under the minimum requirement for an NFL stadium.

Support the Argos, man, especially after they build that new little stadium at York (is it still York U they're building with?)

No doubt.

Get your NFL fix my driving across the border to see the Lions or Bills.

Get your in-town football fix by supporting the Argos. If Damon Allen and Pinball were in my town, I sure would.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived