LA Clippers Concept Logo

Phil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not as cool, but it still is good in it's own right. I really like the boat and sails. The outline images are really cool. And I like the gold compass around it. Very sharp.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Nice... I like this one more than some of your other logos with that same simple, clean look. I guess its that great looking ship that does it for me! :notworthy:

liverpool-1.png

So the general consensus seems to be toward there being a little too detailed and a little too open. I can fix that I think... it's tough to assume a heavier hand when the logo requires a sense of openness to help convey the flow and majesty of these ships.

Any suggestions? I was thinking eliminating some of the vertical space between the sails, making them tighter that way.

No, it was not technically part of the simple series... what I called the "simple series" was a few logos that I didn't know at the time would become more indicative of the general trend in my work.

I still have the utmost respect for the people like Nitro and Flynn who do crazy-cool work utilizing the solid, "power" logos that are real big right now... I'd love to be able to put that kind of stuff out, but for now, I'm enjoying this style.

I'd highly recommend to any designer out there who has never tried a different style to step out of the proverbial comfort zone and try it, especially if you've got "designers block" and/or are burnt out from designing. Really gets the juices flowing again.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

great job my man, i like how the gold compass around it completes this logo. Wish the clippers used this instead of thier generic basketball logo.

It is certainly better than what they use...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I really love this one SyPhi.

It's very nice. The perfect mix of abstract lines and detail IMO.

There are 2 things that bother me just a bit though.

First, I might consider removing the compass. The thickness of the triangles draws away from the other lines IMO. Plus, while I understand why you left the southern arrow off, it's bothering me a little. I might consider leaving the lines that form the circle to keep it's shape, but I'd probably remove the arrows. As for whether or not to they lines should stay gold with no arrows...you'd have to see what looks best.

The second thing is the right part of the ship. I think that they are sails, but I'm having trouble distinguishing that. Perhaps the lines need to be extended a little to clear that up.

Really nicely done Sy.

I like this design, especially since you're experimenting with a new style. However, this style makes me think more about real sailing as opposed to basketball. Keep exploring other techniques. If you were to design prefessionally, you're likely to attract more clientele.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'm sure that it's a lot better than that piece of trash Donald Sterling and Elgin Baylor use for an insignia.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• 5 months later...

Revisited this concept over the last few days. Made some changes that I hope are improvements.

Los%20Angeles%20Clippers%20Primary%20Logo2.gif

Los Angeles Clippers Concept Logo

Gone is the compass. (Save that for an secondary logo.) Reduced the number of sails. Shifted the perspective a little. Altered the front sails significantly.

Questions, suggestions, comments, and criticism all welcome.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived