LA Clippers Concept Logo

Phil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are great logos SyPhi. I kinda like the first one a little bit better, only because the gold really adds a lot, and the ship looks better (IMO) but the second version ain't too shabby either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

the clippers have a boring design, which they haven't changed i don't think since they have been in the league.

your design is light years ahead of what they have now.

i think the major problem with the concept is connecting it too the team name.

you have team name "Clippers" and you have a ship logo. most casual or non-basketball fans would have trouble connecting it to the Clippers.

for the design to work, you need a team name change maybe LA Admirals?

I personally think the LA Toe Nail Clippers need a name change. THis logo would be a perfect logo if the toe nail clippers were renamed to the Admirals. it would give casual fans at least a connection to the bay area and for the die hards a connection back to san diego.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

OK, this may not be the best place for this question, but it has always bugged me. In reference to the appropriateness of the Clippers name, are the Columbus Clippers in fact named after Joe DiMaggio? I guess it's entirely possible, seeing as though they've been the Yankees Triple-A team for a good long while...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

the clippers have a boring design, which they haven't changed i don't think since they have been in the league.

You stand corrected.

Clippers History

Maybe the best thing about the '78-'82 logo (the early San Diego years) were the uniforms - Carolina blue with red/white trim, the funky numbers/letters, and "Clippers" was spelled out in nautical flags down the sides of the shorts.

Bill Walton 1980 SD Clippers

They had other uniforms before they settled on the generic set they've had for about a decade - It was red/white/blue with "CLIPPERS" in capitals, the "C" being larger than the others. The numbers vaguely resembled the ones that Kansas uses.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Revisited this concept over the last few days. Made some changes that I hope are improvements.

Los%20Angeles%20Clippers%20Primary%20Logo2.gif

Los Angeles Clippers Concept Logo

Gone is the compass. (Save that for an secondary logo.) Reduced the number of sails. Shifted the perspective a little. Altered the front sails significantly.

Questions, suggestions, comments, and criticism all welcome.

This is awesome. It shows what the name "clippers" is for better than the current logo, and it has a nice flowing design, like the ship is actually sailing. Good work. :wink2:

I like it a lot I think it is really cool, it just shows you that if they just took a logo that had anything to do with their nickname it would be a thousand times better than the basketball logo they use now. I really like it, although all the sails remind me of empty seats.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I personally think the LA Toe Nail Clippers need a name change.

:D

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=814&hl=

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

...and thus the subtitle of the thread.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm still fiddling with it, but nothing's come of it.

It is light and airy. Obviously that's a style used more in corporate marks than sports logos, but I think it can work. The desing itself does not lend itself to a heavy background like a compass, but I'm exploring alternative illustative methods of incorporating it. I like the idea of having a background that helps tie the logo together, but I'm very happy with the flow of the logo, and will not do anything that compromises that.

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep them coming!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Los%20Angeles%20Clippers%20Primary%20Logo.gif

Los Angeles Clippers, Take Three

For all those who wanted containment, here it is.

Better or worse?

Gold wasn't going to work... it was too intense, and robbed the ship of its impact. I went with a silver-gray, and tried to convey a compass using minimal detail. I don't know if I like the containment... I think it loses some of the free and dynamic nature.

What do you think?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

These are all great and are equally deserving of being a permanent identity for the Clippers. I couldn't help but notice how the sails sort of look like C's, L's and A's. (Maybe that wasn't intentional, but it certainly wouldn't take too much effort to actually go with it.)

If you were ever to put the logo on a background, just do a color inverse of the logo's matching color. If you put the logo on a blue background, make the blue parts white. If a red background, have the red parts white. If silver, yadda yadda, you get the idea.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I still prefer the non-compass look. The silver compass looks nice, but I'm not sure how well it would show up on uniforms/apparel. Also, it does make the ship seem contained, which you have said yourself. This is a design that needs to be flowing in order to work. I hope that made sense. ^_^

I liked the gold.

I love the silver. Containment is the way to go, because like you said, it's on the lighter side. It needed some defined borders.

One thing I did notice: now that there's a compass, the wordmark looks off-center, favoring the left.

That's a submittable design. Are there uniforms coming?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

That concept, I'll tell you, is mad tight; I'd concur, it's much better than what the team has right now. Major kudos.

I'll add two ideas for a secondary mark...

1) Crossed poles bearing the marine symbols "L" and "A", over a red or silver basketball compass.

2) Red basketball (blue lines), with a "waving" trail consisting of the marine symbols "L" and "A" on its right.

[447]

I like this alot. I would make the blue a bit darker though...this logo doesn't really have a base containment color...it just seems too bright all around. If you make the blue a little darker than navy-ish...kinda like the color in the Nationals' away uniforms...I think you'd be set.

Archived