A "Desperate" Opening

JamesCraven

If only Terrell had stayed outta the game... ;)

Look, if the FCC is so bent on "family TV", why do we even have Desperate Housewives? Why is the Simpsons still on? It seems to me that they only want to make themselves look good. They aren't really trying to make TV a family machine again. If people want family programming, watch The Little Mermaid, because there sure ain't any of it on cable.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If only Terrell had stayed outta the game... ;)

Look, if the FCC is so bent on "family TV", why do we even have Desperate Housewives? Why is the Simpsons still on? It seems to me that they only want to make themselves look good. They aren't really trying to make TV a family machine again. If people want family programming, watch The Little Mermaid, because there sure ain't any of it on cable.

In the context of the FCC trying to make TV safe again, why are reality programs like Temptation Island and Fear Factor and Survivor still on the air? And aren't beauty pageants that are broadcast (i.e. Miss Unverse; Miss USA; Miss America) considered sexy?

I can see it happening: Sometime next year, the FCC will rewrite the rules to indecency on broadcast properties, and expand them to satellite and cable, leaving those who want indecent material to old videotapes and the internet. Even then, the government may regulate those areas too.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Isn't this how Nazi Germany started?... only show what the government wants you to show on television.

On that count, please delete my post.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Isn't this how Nazi Germany started?... only show what the government wants you to show on television.

Whoa.

You are making quite a dangerous jump there, Chris.

Let's try to keep things in their proper perspective.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

On that count, please delete my post.

Why? My post had nothing to do with yours... in fact check the times it went up about 9 seconds after yours did -- i never saw it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Whoa.

Wasn't meant to be comparative, but a general question. Isn't that how it started? I'm not suggesting anything.

---

Chris Creamer

Whoa.

Wasn't meant to be comparative, but a general question. Isn't that how it started? I'm not suggesting anything.

But it was ment as a comparison.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Whoa.

But it was ment as a comparison.

If it was, then why did I respond so quickly when I saw how it was being taken?

Unless I'm being told how I was thinking.

---

Chris Creamer

I think this Monday Night Football thing is an issue that doesn't need to be an issue. Once you think about it, was that really worse than some of the stuff you saw in the commercials for Desperate Housewives, especially where Terri Hatcher gets her towel caught in the car door and they show her covering herself up?

IUe6Hvh.png

You knwo what this was a brilliant promo maybe it was racy but its becoem big news and thus brought more attention to the show and MNF. Free publicity as its all over the news.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The opening doesn't offend me as a person. I don't think it was that bad. However, it offends me as a football fan, I tuned in to watch the game not a skit with TO. Remember a few years ago (i'm talking 5-6 years) when they would talk about the game in the intro. They would have a interview with one of the players. I rather watch that than a football player try to act.

The opening doesn't offend me as a person. I don't think it was that bad. However, it offends me as a football fan, I tuned in to watch the game not a skit with TO. Remember a few years ago (i'm talking 5-6 years) when they would talk about the game in the intro. They would have a interview with one of the players. I rather watch that than a football player try to act.

Which begs to ask the question... why do they have teenie pop stars at the SuperBowl?

---

Chris Creamer

Because supposedly "pop" music is the least offensive and broadly accepted by the masses. Why do you think American Idol is so popular? That's the genre of music the show is putting out.

The Super Bowl doesn't have to attract the average guy. We're already going to watch the game, even if we don't like the teams. It's more than a game, it's a big event.

The marketing people are trying to get little Miss mall dweller and Mrs. Hausfrau "Dr. Phil-and-Oprah-viewer" to watch the game, so by bringing in other variety acts that are generally popular with those demographics, they figure those people are going to watch the game as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I don't see the problem. TSN just aired the commercial here at 9:30 AM. The host, a woman, said if a naked blond offends you, look away now.

Personally, I thought it was funny. You didn't see a butt or anything. Wonder if TSN will catch any wind becasue of that...

I'd catch wind from that butt any day of the week.

(Wait a minute...)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

What, other than the fact it was lame, was wrong with it?

No nakedness, only implied nakedness.

No Cursing.

It was no worse than anything on Daytime TV.

How stupid are people?

Someone drops an f-bomb, yea, there should be a problem. Flopping titties on primetime, yea, there should be a problem. This was just... stupid. Lame. But it wasn't wrong or offensive.

Amen!

VmWIn6B.png

The sportsnation poll on ESPN.com currently has 16.3% voting that they were offended by the scene, and 83.6% voting that they weren't offended. Kinda shows that the whole thing was blown out of proportion.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived