A "Desperate" Opening

JamesCraven

If you haven't heard, in one of the most bizarre cross-over promotions, the opening of the Eagles-Cowboys Monday Night Football featured cast members of the steamy ABC Sunday night soapfest "Desperate Housewives", especially Nicollette Sheridan in a towel filmed on location at the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia with Eagles wideout Terrell Owens. When Ms. Sheridan dropped towel, that's when the plop hit the fan.

ABC apologized, and the NFL called it about the same as the Janet Jackson "boobgate" incident. This from the same network where a third of its' affiliates refused to air "Saving Private Ryan" because of the "F-bomb". Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Black. You know each other.

Any thoughts, 'cause I didn't know if this belongs here or in The Lounge.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you haven't heard, in one of the most bizarre cross-over promotions, the opening of the Eagles-Cowboys Monday Night Football featured cast members of the steamy ABC Sunday night soapfest "Desperate Housewives", especially Nicollette Sheridan in a towel filmed on location at the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia with Eagles wideout Terrell Owens. When Ms. Sheridan dropped towel, that's when the plop hit the fan.

ABC apologized, and the NFL called it about the same as the Janet Jackson "boobgate" incident. This from the same network where a third of its' affiliates refused to air "Saving Private Ryan" because of the "F-bomb". Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Black. You know each other.

Any thoughts, 'cause I didn't know if this belongs here or in The Lounge.

I believe i should belong in both, although it may not be possible.

BTW, here's a link to the story at (ironic) CBS Sportsline:

Naked Lie? ABC apologizes for MNF open

I'm only asking this question, because it will eventually be brought up.

Will FOX be next?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

It was just plain dumb.

It shouldn't have been aired ezpecially seeing that MNF airs at 6 PM on the West Coast. The scene was far from family hour television.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Couldn't find any in Yahoo!  Sorry.

Google is your friend. Just enter "Desperate Housewives" +"NFL" or "Monday Night Football" (For news actually) B)

MofnV2z.png

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

What, other than the fact it was lame, was wrong with it?

No nakedness, only implied nakedness.

No Cursing.

It was no worse than anything on Daytime TV.

How stupid are people?

Someone drops an f-bomb, yea, there should be a problem. Flopping titties on primetime, yea, there should be a problem. This was just... stupid. Lame. But it wasn't wrong or offensive.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

What, other than the fact it was lame, was wrong with it?

No nakedness, only implied nakedness.

No Cursing.

It was no worse than anything on Daytime TV.

How stupid are people?

You're only asking this now?

You see this is how Monday Nights work in the U.S....

Apparently families gather round the television to watch Monday Night Football every week, dad with his pipe reading the Saturday Evening Post, mom is knitting a sweater for little Billy -- Billy of course is lying on the floor working on his homework, while little Suzie is helping mom by knitting a pair of socks to go along with that sweater.

Now when a bare back is shown on the screen their minds are poisioned. Mom says "I don't want my daughter seeing what a persons back looks like, it's just not right! Honey ask Betty the Operator to connect us to the local television outlet to display our outrage!"

The kids of course grow up to be homicidal maniacs, never being able to get that image out of their heads. Well it was either that image or maybe they were just poisioned by seeing their own back in the mirror one day... or their dad's back while swimming... or their friends' while playing shirts vs skins in basketball.

---

Is that what really happens? Of course not. But when Mrs. Robinson in Middleofnowhere, Nebraska has nothing better to do, she complains and knows someone will finally listen to her -- afterall her buffalo of a husband would never listen to a thing she has to say.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Is that what really happens? Of course not. But when Mrs. Robinson in Middleofnowhere, Nebraska has nothing better to do, she complains and knows someone will finally listen to her -- afterall her buffalo of a husband would never listen to a thing she has to say.

Mrs. Robinson tried to seduce me once.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Geez, Chris... I am inspired.. i've just watched a god at work... that was inspired.

Perfectly worded.

Just perfect.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Come on Chris Billy is innocent he goes to school and says gee whiz he does not curse and loves Aunt Bees Home made minced Pie, and he dreams of being a doctor.

Now he is gonan be making sex jokes and he wont be able to think anymore like George Costanza he will likely end up pumping gas for a living.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't see the problem. TSN just aired the commercial here at 9:30 AM. The host, a woman, said if a naked blond offends you, look away now.

Personally, I thought it was funny. You didn't see a butt or anything. Wonder if TSN will catch any wind becasue of that...

ABC's MNF lewd opening stretches boundaries of taste

For one, I agree with this column 100%(even though I did not see the opening, or the game for that matter).

MofnV2z.png

Archived