Pacers/Pistons

vicfurth

The Pistons/Pacers game was called for a hard foul by Ron Artest on Ben Wallace that resulted in absolute melee in Detroit. Artest went after a fan when he was doused in beer. The game was called with 45.7 seconds left.

DISCUSS!

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As ugly as this was, I do not blame Artest and the others for going after the fans who threw bottles and beer at them. If a player went in there on his own and instigated the altercation, that's one thing. But if a fan starts it and causes a player to go after him, he gets what he gets.

Detroit needs better security.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This is just sorry. Made me think we were watching a game in Philly. This is a classic display of how fans should not conduct themselves. They should take a page from soccer in Europe & boycott fans for a coupla days.

And, JP, you're right. Artest didn't start this.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

he may not of started it, but he also shouldnt have acted the way he did. same goes for steven jackson, and for that matter ben wallace for over reacting. sad day to be a pacer fan, let me tell ya. (i should know, I am one.)

Well Artest should have not gone after the fan true they need betetr security and whoever threw the bottle should be charged, butr Artest that was not good he is gone be given a long suspension. You can not no matter what happens attack a fan that way.in the stands

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think Artest has to accept some of the blame here. The foul was unnecessary at that point and his rediculous and immature move to lay on the table just spurred on the also guilty, cowardly and rude fans and the also guilty Ben Wallace here. He should have ran to the locker room or went and sat at center court. Jackson didn't help either. His temper was way out of control.

On a more personal level I worry about Ron Artest. I hope he can get the help he needs for his erratic behavior. Be it medicine, counseling, or whatever. I fear if he continues to act irrationally both on and off the court (all his incidents, not just this one) he or someone else may be seriously hurt or worse one day.

BTW, Philadelphia fans have the most unfair reputation in sports. Not all of us are drunk, fighting brainless morons. Yes there are those who act out of hand and ruin the image, but that happens everywhere (Cleveland, New York, Boston and Portland have all had similr incidents with stupid fans) and 99% of Philly fans do not condon the behavior that happened tonight or any such behavior.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

"BTW, Philadelphia fans have the most unfair reputation in sports. Not all of us are drunk, fighting brainless morons. Yes there are those who act out of hand and ruin the image, but that happens everywhere (Cleveland, New York, Boston and Portland have all had similar incidents with stupid fans) and 99% of Philly fans do not condon the behavior that happened tonight or any such behavior."

Some idiot threw a chair as well. Must've been from Oakland.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Right after the foul, and Wallace pushed Artest, the ref got between them and eventually they all were right in front of the scorers' table. When a larger melee started, Artest was lying across the table, hands behind his head. He stayed in that postion during the entire on-court part of the incident, and he did not leave the table until the liquid was thrown at him. He also wasn't the first player to go into the stands, I believe it was Jackson.

Ben Wallace was the closest player to the stands, I didn't see him go in. There was a ball-boy stuck in the middle of an incident, right near the player who was getting pummelled by a couple fans.

The fan Artest first atatcked was not even teh one who threw the cup this is gonna be bad for everyone, its gonna be a big National News event and controversy its gonna go beyond sports.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here's a very easy way for this to stop.

STOP SELLING BEER AFTER HALFTIME!

Enough said.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

BTW, Philadelphia fans have the most unfair reputation in sports. Not all of us are drunk, fighting brainless morons. Yes there are those who act out of hand and ruin the image, but that happens everywhere (Cleveland, New York, Boston and Portland have all had similr incidents with stupid fans) and 99% of Philly fans do not condon the behavior that happened tonight or any such behavior.

I'm willing to give you the benifit of the doubt. I know that most Philly fans are not idiots. However, stereotypes are usually based on something. That 1% has done quite a bit of crappy things over the years.

Stopping beer sales at halftime won't solve anything. you'll have fans trying to drink more before they get to the arena, or they'll hoard all their beers during the game. You have to force the vendors to stop selling alcohol to intoxicated patrons, or beef up security.

I saw plenty of fans pouring Sprite on the players. Should they stop selling that too? Everyone's all hyped up on the sugar buzz.

The fan that Artest went after did SOMETHING to provoke him. Artest ran past a few people to get at that one particular person. He might not have thrown the liquid at him, but he had to have done something.

The most shocking thing is that Rasheed Wallace was actually trying to break up the fights as opposed to taking part in them. I never actually saw what happened, as I was at work, but I have ESPN on right now waiting to see the replay.

VmWIn6B.png

When I referee a game (basketball, football and baseball), I make it a point to talk to the coaches in a pre-game conference. Among the points covered are no taunting by players or fans, and that I hold the coach responsible for the actions of his or her fans. From high school level on down, each team's fans tend to sit as close to their team as possible. I let the coaches know that fan behavior can be controlled by the coaches and players. All a coach has to do is turn around and talk to his or her fans. If the fans, players, coaches, etc are angry at me for a call, so be it. But once it goes beyond normal protesting of a call, I step in and tell everyone involved that the behavior has to stop or the game will not continue.

This isn't meant to be a smug answer to a big problem. Obviously, professional sports are at a much larger level than youth and high school athletics. But behavior is learned, and everyone at all levels needs to know that certain behavior will not be tolerated, and everyone loses out when the game takes a backseat to sideline problems.

Stopping beer sales at halftime won't solve anything. you'll have fans trying to drink more before they get to the arena, or they'll hoard all their beers during the game. You have to force the vendors to stop selling alcohol to intoxicated patrons, or beef up security.

I saw plenty of fans pouring Sprite on the players. Should they stop selling that too? Everyone's all hyped up on the sugar buzz.

Stadiums turn drunk fans away at the gates already.

You would be amazed the amount of people bring in vodka or whatever to the stadiums, every night after the fans leave I go through my section and usually find 3-5 empty bottles throughout the section... and that's one section. It's hard to spot fans mixing in their own drinks... in three years I've spotted ONE fan in the act of doing this but have discovered hundreds of bottles in that same time.

Beefing up security might help, but it's still hard to spot these fans doing things.

---

I wouldn't use the Sprite argument, that was after the incident and the fan was obviously riled up by the events.

Of course if I had it my way there'd be no alcohol sold at sporting events (what? you can't enjoy the game without beer?) but then again I'm not in charge :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived