CFL in Atlantic Canada

Cashcleaner

Had a bit of an interesting conversation with my boss at work the other day. He's a big time NFL supporter, whereas I only watch CFL. Despite the banter, we did agree that the Eastern Conference needs another team to even out the league and help bring in more interest outside the western provinces, Ontario, and Quebec.

Halifax has always been considered a frontrunner for a new team since the 70s, but with no stadium tat could could 25,000. the CFL won't consider them unless they can construct more modern factilities. Quebec City and Moncton have also shown some interest. What does anyone else think? Presonally, I think the league should overlook a low initial stadium capacity to at least get the ball rolling in Atlantic Canada. With the league on the up-swing in terms of attendance and corporate revenue, surely now is the time to start expanding, even if one team.

Go Halifax!

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Presonally, I think the league should overlook a low initial stadium capacity to at least get the ball rolling in Atlantic Canada. With the league on the up-swing in terms of attendance and corporate revenue, surely now is the time to start expanding, even if one team.

Go Halifax!

I disagree. The league should be very careful to risk what it's worked so hard to build. It is finally out of immediate financial danger, and to expand hastily into the maritimes.

I think it would be awesome to have a team in Halifax so that every major geographic region is suitably represented in our great league. The CFL should be prepared to sink significant funds into the expansion into Halifax (its not exactly an economically booming area), however once the major capital costs are taken care of, I think a committed owner could be very successful there. The CIS does very well in the Atlantic provinces, with Acadia and St. Mary's, among others.

I think this is at least the third time we've discussed this, and certainly the second time in the last 8 months. But it's always fun to talk about the CFL in a non-"what can be done to save it" way.

In fact, I think they could save some money by moving the Roughriders over there... *runs away, laughing maniacally*

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

SyPhi, look out! You may get your house egged and $#!+ on your lawn after that post!!!

Seriously, the CFL should add a tenth team in the Atlantic region if they can find a stadium big enough.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Funny that this should come up - yet again, I might add - a day after CFL Commissioner Tom Wright revealed that he has set a target date for Eastern expansion.

Wright has gone on record as saying that a 10th CFL franchise will be in place by the 2008 season. He feels that the best way to build the "CFL brand" is by insuring that the league has a presence throughout Canada, and to deliver on that potential by establishing the league's 10th team on the East Coast.

"I believe Canada's league is the CFL and it should be a truly national league," he said of the need to expand coast-to-coast. "It's most important to enter a new market," he said, promising to be "aggressive" on that front with solid ownership and a 25,000-seat stadium "for the 2008 season".

To have a team playing by 2008, means that the commissioner must find a solid ownership group and have stadium plans in place by this time next year.

"It's important to move quickly, to strike while we have momentum. That's why I put a date on it. We need to have a target on the ground to get a stake in the ground."

Wright said that the expansion franchise most likely will be in Atlantic Canada, but only if a 25,000-seat stadium was in place and the league was convinced that the team could sustain itself.

It's intriguing that Halifax's population (NOT including Dartmouth, Bedford, Sackville and the other outlying towns that could easily get to Halifax like New Glasgow and Truro) is three times the size of Green Bay, Wisconsin. People from Moncton and Saint John, New Brunswick should easily be able to make a trip there on a weekly basis if they want to. Cape Bretoners could make a day trip routine out of it.

That said the only way I could see Halifax being able to maintain a team is, first, if the team has a simple, classy, almost timeless identity to begin with in much the same way the Packers do that is good to begin with and doesn't need to be changed every decade. The first season should have no problem with attendance because the team will almost be seen as a novelty (a very sought after novelty) by practically all of the Maritimes. But you have to be able to give the fans something they can be proud of, even during losing seasons, which is most likely going to occur in the first several years.

Second, they have to be able to maintain that level of interest all the time to keep it even. The fact that the rivals are all the other major cities in Canada, that could be enough, but they'd also have to be competitive to give the fans hope and reason to come out.

Third, they also need to have extremely reasonable ticket prices to begin with and they have to stay that way at all times. You'd be hardpressed to find many millionaires in the Maritimes that can afford $1000 season tickets.

Also, I myself am not really that big on calling the team Atlantic anything. It may be Atlantic Canada's team, but I'd rather have a place that be refered to non-awkwardly, like Halifax or Nova Scotia. It'd be strange to hear "Atlantic is hosting the Grey Cup" or something like that.

Huskie Stadium holds 7000. It is the biggest stadium in Nova Scotia. I have no doubt of it being consistently sold out if the CFL came, but I doubt it's big enough to draw enough money to compete.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think it will be good for taht league if they went Coast to Coast, and added a few othe rteams here and there, one day they should go North to Yukon.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think it will be good for taht league if they went Coast to Coast, and added a few othe rteams here and there, one day they should go North to Yukon.

As fun as it might be to have a team up there, the entire population of all three Territories of Canada combined is less than 100,000, spread out over half the country. The largest city, Whitehorse in the Yukon, has only 19,000.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Yeah. The Nunavut Huskies doesn't have success written all over it, now does it.

Halifax would be great, it seems like a great metropolitan city. I'm sure it could draw fans from all over the Maritimes. You make great points about establishing the team and not changing uniforms every year, also keeping prices low.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As fun as it might be to have a team up there, the entire population of all three Territories of Canada combined is less than 100,000, spread out over half the country. The largest city, Whitehorse in the Yukon, has only 19,000.

Haha, reminds me of when I got bored with NCAA Football 2004. I had the:

University of Yukon-Whitehorse Stallions

Northern Nunavut University Inuit

and my personal favorite:

Christian University of the Northwest Territories Hares. The team name has absolutely nothing to do with the school's abbreviation.

:D

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The Schooners were supposed to be based in Halifax, but the lack of proper facilities has prevented a team getting started. Shame really, because I think the city would be perfect in terms of local market availability and regional interest.

I will agree with SyPhi in that the CFL will have to look at things more in-depth with regards to expansion, in terms of projected revenue and sponsorship. That said, however, Halifax certainly looks more probable than any other city. It has more financial backing, more local support and motivation, and lets face it, more interest, than any other Canadian city. Thats pretty much why I think the league should let the stadium restrictions slide and let Halifax have a go with a team.

After all, what's the point of a 25,000 seat stadium when realistically, teams in Eastern Canada hope for 15,000 at the most for the majority of games.

Those numbers may be off, but Ive been drinkng cider since 8:00pm tonight and basic typing in itself is a bit of a task. L*

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

I'm all for Atlantic Canada getting a team, but it has to be done properly & carefully, so as to give it the best chance of survival--I agree with most of Roger's comments above for that reason...

As for Northern teams?

Unlikely for the reasons given & for the weather (You think Edmonton or Winterpeg are bad in late November?)

But for fun my Madden CFL has teams from all provinces and territoires, including the unlikely trio of the Yukon Grizzlies, Yellowknife Polar Bears, and the Nunavut Narwhals (the last is the favorite of mine of these three--and the logo I use in Madden was designed here on this board)

I have no problem with the team being called Atlantic__________.

There was a team approved to be called the Atlantic Schooners that fell through.

It wouldn't be awkward, as the announcers would just say Halifax for the location, just as they say Vancouver for the Lions or Regina for the Roughriders, hen speaking location...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Another CFL expansion in the U.S.? I don't think we'll be doing that again...ever.

Anyway, I would really love the 10th CFL franchise to go to Quebec City.

Nothing against the Maritime Provinces, but I think Quebec City would be more successful, because they already have a stadium, even though it's around what, 5-6,000 seats, that can be expanded, and with the success of the Laval Rouge et Or, and when the Alouettes come to town, the Als fans in Quebec City won't have to make that long of a trip to see them play the Quebec "Insert team name here".

There's always a must for local ownership, though. What about Serge Savard? He wanted to buy the Als, but Bob Wettenhall said, "No sale!" Maybe team up with Marcel Aubut (from the Nordiques). I could see a good ownership team here in the Quebec City bid. Oh, and building a 25,000-seat stadium downtown wouldn't hurt either.

I won't say anything against the Halifax bid, but I think the city is far from getting a product intact, not only because of the stadium issue, but from a marketing standpoint. Whoever owns the team must know the Atlantic Provinces well enough to pull this one off.

I'm cheering for a team in Quebec City, but I'll still be an Als fan! :wink2:

I wouldn't oppose another expansion to the US if it is done wisely, and setting up teams in northern college football towns (Syracuse? Boise?)

:evil: I'm hoping the NFL and CFL sign an agreement to never encroach across the border when placing franchises.

Ever.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived