Thanksgiving Throwbacks

SmoothieX

Okay now that they are done with, here's how I think it should be next year.

They alternate every year so in '05 it's Dallas hosting the AFC team, and they play the AFC West, so there are only four possibilities.

With the Lions, there are 15 possibilities because it could be any team in the NFC.

Here's what I think.

Denver Broncos @ Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos - 1965; Orange Helmet w/ Charachure Horse, Royal-White-Royal Stripe, Gray Facemask; Orange Jersey w/ Royal Blue Sleeves w/ White Shoulder line, White Numbers w/ Royal Outline, White Pants w/ Royal-Orange-Royal Stripe, Solid Royal Socks.

Dallas Cowboys - 1962/1995 Combo; White Helmet w/ Navy Star, Single Navy Stripe, Gray Facemask; White Jersey w/ Navy Shoulders w/ Navy Star w/ White & Navy Outlines, Silver Pants w/ Navy-White-Navy Stripe, Solid Navy Socks.

St Louis Rams @ Detroit Lions

St Louis Rams - 1966; Navy Helmet w/ White Horn, Gray Facemask; White Jersey w/ White Sleeves w/ Navy Ram Horn on Shoulder, Solid Navy Numbers, Navy Pants w/ Single White Stripe, Solid Navy Socks.

Detroit Lions - 1940's/1974 Combo; Silver Helmet w/ Solid H.Blue Lion, Single H.Blue Stripe, Gray Facemask; H.Blue Jersey, Solid Silver Numbers, Solid Silver Pants, Solid H.Blue Socks.

But that's just my opinion, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be Broncos, cuz they were in the Thanksgiving Classic not too long ago. I'd say, if anybody needs to get into the Thanksgiving Ordeal, it would be the return of the dreaded Bucco Bruce. But the Bucs would probably waltz out in their regular unis if this happened, because they hate those things like I hate the devil.

Today's Throwbacks - Rated

1. Detroit Lions - Simply cannot be outdone. Class in it's purest form.

2. Dallas Cowboys - I was not prepared to like the uniforms as much as i did. Simply amazing. I would like to see them installed as a permanent alternate

3. Chicago Bears - Very good uniform. The only thing that got me was the '47 uniforms with the '60 helmets.

4. Indianapolis Colts - Didn't impress me much.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

No, the Lions didn't wear black facemasks when those uniforms were standard. In fact, the Lions wore NO facemasks when those were the regular uniforms.

I'd like to see Thanksgiving weekend as throwback weekend for all NFL teams. The throwback uniforms have a nifty way of making people remember the NFL history.

I've always like the Detriot Unis. Dallas and Chicago were also very nice looking. However Colts basically looked the same, except they moved the logos to the back of the helmet.

Next year or in the near future (I'm not sure how the scheldule works out) I'd like to see Dallas vs. Houston. Houston could either wear the Oilers or the old Dallas Texans throwbacks.

I missed the end of the Dallas game, who won the galloping gobbler. I guessing it was Julius Jones.

I liked the Bears uniforms alot, I wouldn't mind seeing those as regular uniforms. Actually, other than the helmet, and a few other minor things, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell it was a throwback...maybe I'm just stupid.

Can't be Broncos, cuz they were in the Thanksgiving Classic not too long ago. I'd say, if anybody needs to get into the Thanksgiving Ordeal, it would be the return of the dreaded Bucco Bruce. But the Bucs would probably waltz out in their regular unis if this happened, because they hate those things like I hate the devil.

Actually that doesn't matter, they could still be in it.

The Packers were in it in '01 and '03.

Broncos @ Cowboys

Packers @ Lions

Patriots @ Lions

Redskins @ Cowboys

Dolphins @ Cowboys

Packers @ Lions

Colts @ Lions

Bears @ Cowboys

I always found the Lions throwbacks boring. They're very close accuracy-wise, but they are very simple. No embellishments, not even a stripe somewhere. At least the Colts have stripes. Not that I liked them either, since they're not much different form what they wear now. And the stripes didn't even go all the way around the sleeves.

I liked the Cowboys uniforms. Stylish, but not gaudy. A nice look considering it's monochromatic. The Bears were not as bad as I thought they would be, at least when I saw the intro pictures. The numbers looked weird, I don't know how accurate they were.

My Ratings...

1. Cowboys

2. Bears

3. Lions (they get points for accuracy)

4. Colts

I think the league should rotate the Thanksgiving games around the league. Detroit and Dallas get a definite advantage with the home game, since this might be the visiting team's second consecutive road game. Why not have the previous season's Super Bowl teams host the games that day?

If Dallas and Detroit have the home games in perpetuity, the visiting teams should always play an afternoon home game before making the Turkey Day trip.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Here's my breakdown

Lions-they are nice, but kinda boring seeing them on today's players. I also HATE the black facemask with these unis.

Colts- kinda cool, but not a big change from their current/new roads.

Cowboys- looked great, but does anyone else think they're not really accurate? I thought the white shoulder panels were supposed to be more circular, not really strecth across the whole jersey. Also I thought the stars on the shoulders were too small. Overall though they're friggin sweet.

Bears-sorry but I hate them. The navy numbers with white outlines look terrible next to the plain navy shoulder stripes. And shouldn't the helmets have had a grey facemask? Just really amateur looking (I know, they're from the 40's.)

No, the Lions didn't wear black facemasks when those uniforms were standard. In fact, the Lions wore NO facemasks when those were the regular uniforms.

I'd like to see Thanksgiving weekend as throwback weekend for all NFL teams. The throwback uniforms have a nifty way of making people remember the NFL history.

Same here. But like I said before, the Bucs would more likely than not decline to participate :P

For the bears its worse than 46 and 60's. The only year I've found they wore orange jerseys was 35.

That being said, the design is the same as that of the 46 team. Just in orange.

I really liked them, even with the 60's era helmets. I think all the teams looked very sharp today. I'd have to say those cowboy unis were the best though.

Well, according to detroitlions.com's Thanksgiving Day FAQ page, in odd-numbered years, usually a division rival (Green Bay, Minnesota or Chicago) plays the Lions on Thanksgiving. I'll believe Minnesota, with their 1960's uniform will get the nod next year. As far as Dallas, I know they played host to Denver in 2001, so even though they're having a bad year, I'd love to see Kansas City play Dallas in those 1960 Dallas Texans uniforms.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Detroit has played AFC teams at least 3 years in a row...Patriots, Dolphins, Colts. I thought that Detroit and Dallas alternated AFC and NFC teams. When John Madden worked for Fox, his many-legged turkey was presented to his MVP of whatever game Fox had, switching between Detroit and Dallas.

Correcting you, jpslapshot22, it's Patriots, Packers, Colts. Dallas played Miami last year.

I must have misread one of CBS's graphics. They showed everyone they've had as MVP of their Thanksgiving game, and 2 Dolphins won last year. So you are correct, the Dolphins played Dallas last year, and CBS covered that game.

My Thanksgiving Rankings:

• [1] DETROIT LIONS. Second-best throwbacks IMHO. Only the Chargers are better. Accurate.
    [2] INDIANAPOLIS COLTS. Another historically accurate uni. Good job with the pre-Unitas design.
    [3] DALLAS COWBOYS. You know my feeling about the team, but they Cowboys did not wear black shoes with this accurate uni. Hence, they get knocked down a peg.
    [4] CHICAGO BEARS. The 1935 orange jersey + the 1963 helmet does not = the 1946 uniform.

[4] CHICAGO BEARS.  The 1935 orange jersey + the 1963 helmet does not = the 1946 uniform.

So what?

That doesn't mean it wasn't totally awesome.

I personally thought it was the best, tied with Dallas for this years top throwback. If they put numbers on the shoulders and added white stripes to the sleeves, that would be wicked cool.

Archived