Thanksgiving Throwbacks

SmoothieX

Dallas plays Denver and Kansas City next year as its home AFC opponents.

Detroit's non-division NFC home foes are Atlanta, Carolina and an NFC West team that finishes in the same place as the Lions. But traditionally, the Lions have always played a division foe in its year to host an NFC team on Thanksgiving Day (probably N.Y. Giants in the early 80s last time they didn't).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bears jerseys got alot nicer the longer i saw them. The Colts really didn't do anything for me. As a Detroiter, there is nothing like the Lions in the throwbacks, except for watching them win in the throwbacks. I must admit, though, as a Cowboys fan I was slightly dissappointed in not having black shoes, But those uniforms were just awesome. Even the coaches gear looked great. I'd love to see that become the permanent Thanksgiving uniform.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

why is it that all of dallas' alts. are some of the nicest unis in the leauge, but their regulars suck? dallas needs to go to using the modified throwbacks as the primary unis, and use the real throwbacks as the regular alts.

a la the leafs? heh...not a bad idea actually.

this year actually seemed like the best year throwbackwise, all of em kick ass (although i got an uncle who's never liked teh Lions' throwback threads).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

As someone else mentioned, the NFL should have games played at different sites on Thanksgiving..... The last several years have been brutal games to watch as the Cowboys and Lions have had mediocre teams at best = BORING!

I don't mean top be a homeboy here but seeing the Patriots play a couple years ago when they wore there 1985 PAT Patriot throwbacks were sweet looking uni's (wouldn't mind seeing those full time).

The current Lions throwbacks do nothing for me.

a la the leafs?

i never made that connection, but know that you mention it, the leafs do infact do it. i guess this is what heppens when the nhl shuts down. back on topic though, ya, i think the cowboys really do have to go to the modified throwbacks as full time unis with the real throwbacks. that way fans can see a connection between the current and throwback uniforms. the way it was this year the cowboys throwbacks looked like modern day unis compared to their white jersesys.

"JamesCraven, if it is the Vikings at Lions next year, I hope the Vikes wear their purple pants."

I'm hoping for the 1966 version of the uniform.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

When John Madden worked for Fox, his many-legged turkey was presented to his MVP of whatever game Fox had, switching between Detroit and Dallas.

It's a TURDUCKEN, dammit! :D

Madden never used a Turducken on Fox or CBS. Madden only presented a Turkey with 6 or 8 drumsticks attached to it. He may have used a Turducken for Monday Night Football, but never on Thanksgiving.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Madden never used a Turducken on Fox or CBS. Madden only presented a Turkey with 6 or 8 drumsticks attached to it. He may have used a Turducken for Monday Night Football, but never on Thanksgiving.

JP, I def remember the Turducken on Fox, it would go back between Lions and Cowboys depending on which game FOX covered each year, I remember Emmitt Smith won a leg of the Turducken basically every other year. 6 legs on the turducken, and 6 players would receive one (usually the 6 best players in the game, 3 on each team). I have the 94 Thanksgiving day game Cowboys-Lions on VHS, and Barry and Emmitt each had a leg of the turducken.

I miss the turducken now thaat I think about it...

Okay now that they are done with, here's how I think it should be next year.

They alternate every year so in '05 it's Dallas hosting the AFC team, and they play the AFC West, so there are only four possibilities.

With the Lions, there are 15 possibilities because it could be any team in the NFC.

AFC West for the Cowboys?!?!?!?!?!?!?

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.....COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!

r_chargers_i.jpg

PLease God...Let it be!!!!!

JP, I def remember the Turducken on Fox, it would go back between Lions and Cowboys depending on which game FOX covered each year, I remember Emmitt Smith won a leg of the Turducken basically every other year. 6 legs on the turducken, and 6 players would receive one (usually the 6 best players in the game, 3 on each team). I have the 94 Thanksgiving day game Cowboys-Lions on VHS, and Barry and Emmitt each had a leg of the turducken.

I miss the turducken now thaat I think about it...

To Repeat:

It was not a turducken. You said it yourself...Madden awarded a turkey with six legs attached.

A Turducken is a TURkey stuffed with a DUCK that's been stuffed with a chiCKEN.

TUR-DU-CK-EN

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

As a lifelong Detroiter (39 years), I can honestly say the throwbacks are excellent! I polled the family at the big turkey day gig (some were at the game watching Peyton dismantle our boys) and all but 1 love the throwbacks. I'd like to see them wear the throwbacks fulltime but add the Leapin' Lion to the helmet. Classic and simple. I love the tall blue socks.

I wish every team went with throwbacks this weekend... I'd love to see the 64 Bills play the 76 Seahawks.

How about this?

1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ 1995 (Original Prototype) Carolina Panthers

1954 Cleveland Browns @ 1968 Cincinnati Bengals

1968 Houston Oilers (TEN) @ 1962 Dallas Texans (HOU)

1964 San Diego Chargers @ 1964 Kansas City Chiefs

1995 (Original Prototype) Jacksonville Jaguars @ 1974 Minnesota Vikings

1996 Baltimore Ravens @ 1960 Boston Patriots (NE)

1973 Philadelphia Eagles @ 1975 New York Giants

1961 Washington Redskins @ 1963 Pittsburgh Steelers

1968 New Orleans Saints @ 1966 Atlanta Falcons

1960 New York Titans (NYJ) @ 1921 Chicago Cardinals (ARI)

1972 Miami Dolphins @ 1958 San Francisco 49ers

1964 Buffalo Bills @ 1976 Seattle Seahawks

1963 Oakland Raiders @ 1965 Denver Broncos

1974 Los Angeles Rams (STL) @ 1937 Green Bay Packers

Okay now that they are done with, here's how I think it should be next year.

They alternate every year so in '05 it's Dallas hosting the AFC team, and they play the AFC West, so there are only four possibilities.

With the Lions, there are 15 possibilities because it could be any team in the NFC.

AFC West for the Cowboys?!?!?!?!?!?!?

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.....COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!

r_chargers_i.jpg

PLease God...Let it be!!!!!

If they wore that, and the Cowboys wore their white throwbacks in the style of the 60s, then I would damn near piss my pants and cry tears of joy for that would be the greatest Thanksgiving Day of all time.

I wish every team went with throwbacks this weekend... I'd love to see the 64 Bills play the 76 Seahawks.

i agree.

didnt the 49ers wear their Montana-era throwbacks a few years ago on Thanksgiving weekend, even though they played on sunday?

I think a lot more teams shoulf follow suit. i'd love to see classics like the Standing Buffalo, the Powder Blues, Pat the Patriot (thats his name right?) and others make an appearance on this weekend ever year.

Madden definitely had a turducken. He put his hand in it and was offered a stack of napkins to clean off his hands. It was hilarious.

IIRC, this was a MNF game on ABC, not Fox or CBS...

patriotssignature.png

Liked the Bears in orange, but what the hell was going on with their numbers? Ones w/o serifs, everything else with, and the same #2s you get screen printed at cheapscreans are us on your beer league softball jerseys?!?!?

:therock:

i agree.

didnt the 49ers wear their Montana-era throwbacks a few years ago on Thanksgiving weekend, even though they played on sunday?

I think a lot more teams shoulf follow suit. i'd love to see classics like the Standing Buffalo, the Powder Blues, Pat the Patriot (thats his name right?) and others make an appearance on this weekend ever year.

They wore throwbacks on MNF when Koy Detmer smashed the 49ers.

Go EAGLES.

Archived