ESPNHL - The new league

paynomind

ESPN has their own hockey league idea created. Its a pretty cool little flash thing.

They ban fighting altogether, which I think it unfathomably dumb, but otherwise, some of their things make sence.

Check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/index#

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't know why people are so up on increasing scoring... anyone who's watched a high scoring hockey game will know they aren't that exciting.

The key is to increase scoring chances, that makes a game much more exciting than a 17-10 match.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I saw plenty of 5-4 games here in Atlanta, and that is plenty exciting. I think they should run a season at 1/3 ticket prices to get butts in the seats. Folks who have seen a game live are more likely to watch on TV.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

This is where I would put teams

I would extend to 24 teams

Pacific

Calgary

Phoenix

Vancouver

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Winnipeg

Midwest

Chicago

Minnesota

Denver

Dallas

Saint Louis

Kansas City

North

Detroit

Toronto

Cleveland

Boston

Hartford

Montreal

Atlantic

Philadelphia

New York

Buffalo

New Jersey

Atlanta

Miami

I'd pull out Las Vegas also, but I wouldn't stick Phoenix back in. I'd rather see a team placed in a proven hockey market during the infant years, and then expnading to Las Vegas if the city shows any interest in the Dallas, Los Angeles, or Denver teams. I'd stick another team in Canada in either Winnipeg or Ottawa, or perhaps Kansas City with the new Sprint Center being built.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I saw plenty of 5-4 games here in Atlanta, and that is plenty exciting. I think they should run a season at 1/3 ticket prices to get butts in the seats. Folks who have seen a game live are more likely to watch on TV.

5-4 isn't high scoring, check out the games from the early 80s on ESPN Classic sometime and you'll see high scoring

---

Chris Creamer

I don't know why people are so up on increasing scoring... anyone who's watched a high scoring hockey game will know they aren't that exciting.

The key is to increase scoring chances, that makes a game much more exciting than a 17-10 match.

The problem with low scoring games (2-1, 3-1 etc...) is that the majority of time you know the winner after 40 minutes. They show the same stat at the start of the third period of every game. The Sabres are 12-1-2-1 when leading after 2, the Thrashers are 2-10-0-1 when trailing after 2.

When teams were scoring 6 - 7 goals a game you always felt like there was a chance your team could come back from 2 goals down in the third. Now it's way too rare.

The problem with low scoring games (2-1, 3-1 etc...) is that the majority of time you know the winner after 40 minutes. They show the same stat at the start of the third period of every game. The Sabres are 12-1-2-1 when leading after 2, the Thrashers are 2-10-0-1 when trailing after 2.

When teams were scoring 6 - 7 goals a game you always felt like there was a chance your team could come back from 2 goals down in the third. Now it's way too rare.

But actually it is surely easier to come from say 2-1 behind than 6-3 behind? I agree the whole chase for goals thing is a bit wrong headed. With fewer goals, usually the better team wins, encourage a system that makes scoring less skill more lottery and you get weaker teams winning more games than they should. Also defense is great to watch in hiockey.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think the key is not to increase scoring per se, but rather scoring chances. A 1-0 game can be exciting as hell if there's a lot of opportunity, but the goalies are playing big, but a 1-0 game where the puck goes from blue line to blue line with the odd long slapper is dull.

I think the key is not to increase scoring per se, but rather scoring chances. A 1-0 game can be exciting as hell if there's a lot of opportunity, but the goalies are playing big, but a 1-0 game where the puck goes from blue line to blue line with the odd long slapper is dull.

Increasing scoring chances will increase scoring, I suspect.

I don't like drastically changing games for marketing, but I think the NHL could use a couple of changes. I'd like to see NBA-style punishment for fighting. They could get rid of fighting if they wanted. Would also like to see officials quicker on the whistle for holding and some other things.

Finally, get rid of the two-line pass rule.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I just said that :)

---

Chris Creamer

I witnessed a 1-0 game in the AHL last night and it was incredibly boring.

There was fight in the initial 3 minutes and the only goal came in the first 5 minutes on a long wrister and nothing happened for the remainder of the game.

My girl and I talked about our plans for the kitchen the entire game.

That's the last time I take her to a hockey game! :D

Hey, anyone want to take her place for tommorrow nights game? :P

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

There was fight in the initial 3 minutes and the only goal came in the first 5 minutes on a long wrister and nothing happened for the remainder of the game.

Yeah, some 1-0 games can be boring, especially ones where NOTHING happens... but it's the 1-0 games with constant scoring chances which are exciting.

---

Chris Creamer

There was  fight in the initial 3 minutes and the only goal came in the first 5 minutes on a long wrister and nothing happened for the remainder of the game.

Yeah, some 1-0 games can be boring, especially ones where NOTHING happens... but it's the 1-0 games with constant scoring chances which are exciting.

But they're usually boring.

Worst game I ever went to involved Jagr scoring 30 seconds into the 1st, and the score ended up 1-0.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I think the penalty code needs to be a little streamlined. You have minors, double-minors, majors, misconducts, game misconducts, and match penalties. So cut it down to major, minor, and ejection. Two majors in one game is an ejection. That could cut down on gratuitous fighting but still maintain it as an important part of hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the key is not to increase scoring per se, but rather scoring chances.  A 1-0 game can be exciting as hell if there's a lot of opportunity, but the goalies are playing big, but a 1-0 game where the puck goes from blue line to blue line with the odd long slapper is dull.

Increasing scoring chances will increase scoring, I suspect.

Maybe, maybe not--

I like low scoring games IF there are still scoring chances, but they were thwarted by incredible goaltending or great defensive plays, but I don't like low scoring games that are that way because of the trap, lack of forechecking or offensive incompetence.

High scoring games often lack drama--oh a breakaway? Oh another goal? Ho hum...

If high scores are a result of superior offensive play then okay--but if merely a result of defensive and/or goaltending incompetence--then no...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

since the NHL has been locked out i have made many league concepts but here's what i think is the best-

Western Conference

Northwest Division

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Southwest Division

Colorado

St. Louis

Los Angeles

Dallas