CCSLC lurker writes logo column on ESPN

boardname

Doesn't anybody think it's funny that Paul Lukas calls you "hard core nerds" because your into sports logos and uniform design while he writes a column on the very same subject?

Doesn't anybody think it's funny that Paul Lukas calls you "hard core nerds" because your into sports logos and uniform design while he writes a column on the very same subject?

But we are a "small cadre of hardcore nerds". Big difference there :D

I saw, I came, I left.

We're "hard core nerds" either because we don't (all) get paid for it or because we're not (all) pompous jackasses about it.

Am I the only one who received that comment as an honour?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Seems to me the Nationals are no worse than the Cardinals... color-wise anyway. The transition from BP to home to road is almost identical-- caps, jerseys, logos, colors, bills, etc. We're just used to them and they're considered untouchable. The STL doesn't match the script, etc. etc. What gives?

That's not QUITE true for the Cards.

The Cards have red script, numbers, letters, hats, belts, undershirts, socks, and shoes at home. When they go on the road, only the hat color and belt color changes to navy.

Our BP is a red jersey (primary color) with the normal birds on the bat logo on the front.

We do have a special design for a Sunday Alt cap, which is the same as our BP cap, but it stays close to the rest just puts a bird on a bat on a navy cap with a red bill.

Anyways, the Cardinals don't really have that many differences between their sets. The cap may be a major difference, but the fact that the red stays pretty much every well else makes the navy caps just a nice little variation to the road jersey.

Also, none of the variations (road cap and belt and Sunday/BP cap) are stemmed with tradition and untouchable. I don't expect they'll change, but I believe in the 80's and for a while before, the Cardinals did have only red hats. Then again, the reason we have the navy caps is because both of them (road and Sunday/BP) is that they have nods to the past.

Sorry to go off topic, I just don't think the comparison is quite right.

in addition to niggling you have niggard, niggardly, niggle; none of which have any racial implications at all, unless you are an uneducated moron.

nig·gard ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngrd)

n.

A stingy, grasping person; a miser.

adj.

Stingy; miserly.

[Middle English nigard, perhaps from nig, stingy person, of Scandinavian origin.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nig·gard·ly ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngrd-l)

adj.

Grudging and petty in giving or spending.

Meanly small; scanty or meager: left the waiter a niggardly tip.

niggard·li·ness n.

niggard·ly adv.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nig·gle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngl)

intr.v. nig·gled, nig·gling, nig·gles

To be preoccupied with trifles or petty details.

To find fault constantly and trivially; carp. See Synonyms at quibble.

[Perhaps of Scandinavian origin.]

niggler n.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nig·gling ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nglng)

adj.

Petty, especially in a nagging or annoying way; trifling: a pointless dispute over niggling details.

Overly concerned with details; exacting and fussy.

niggling n.

niggling·ly adv

adj : (informal terms) small and of little importance; "a fiddling sum of money"; "a footling gesture"; "our worries are lilliputian compared with those of countries that are at war"; "a little (or small) matter"; "Mickey Mouse regulations"; "a dispute over niggling details"; "limited to petty enterprises"; "piffling efforts"; "giving a police officer a free meal may be against the law, but it seems to be a picayune infraction" [syn: fiddling, footling, lilliputian, little, Mickey Mouse, piddling, piffling, petty, picayune, trivial]

[Download or Buy Now]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

you tell me where you see racial implication. i don't see it. so in a sense its perfectly fine to use. its only racially motivated if you are uneducated and are judgemental.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Yes I do think it's funny. He bashes his own target audience. Fool.

The thing that irks me is that he could very well just join us and have a good time posting and discussing here instead of calling us nerds.

Well it takes a hard core nerd to know a small cadre of hard core nerds. It seems to me that some of you feel insulted by being called nerds or something. I say we should be proud of being called hard cadre nerds. We should embrace it and say, "We are hard core logo nerds!" :woot:

EDIT: In fact, we can also replace the "Supported by viewers like you" with "As linked to by ESPN.com" or"HOME OF THE "HARD CORE NERDS"

I saw, I came, I left.

STL FANATIC's right. There's no comparison between the Cards and the Nats.

The Cards' road uniforms still have an awful lot of red in them, most notably the jersey script and numbers. On the road, the Nats don't have more than the slightest touch of red.

The Cards' "St L" is a curved, graceful script similar to their wordmark. The Nats have a cap logo that in no way matches anything about the rest of their scheme. If they used the block "DC" from the batting cap, at least that would match. As it is, with the rest of their scheme to tightly controlled and so exactingly matched, the cap is incongruous and odd.

Am I the only one who received that comment as an honour?

No you're not. I don't see how anyone can take it as an insult. I don't think there is any way he meant it in a derogatory manner (excuse the spelling.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived