July webdav challenge: nhl salt lake city

webdav

well, i want to see all of them, but i know a bunch of top-notch designs were entered, and i kind of want to see how i rank :)

well this is just my perspective on this kind of contest. I really think that the poll can only decide the winner of the challenge, it cant and shouldn't really rank anyone else after that since the people voting is only decidiing which of the designs is the absolute best. Therefore if we were allowed to decide every single rank in each conpetition i would think the results would be completely different. Think of it this way. One really dominent design along with many crappy ones and one other just okay design. I'm sure everyone would vote for the dominent one and therefore there would be no more votes going to the "second best" one and therefore rank it just as low as the rest of teh crapy concepts.

thats a really good point, i wish we could vote in a placing system, where you vote for the top 3 or 5, or maybe more

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the page with everybody's logos, mine appears choppy and sloppy. This happened because of resizing. My entry wasn't vectorized, so it got pixelized. But, I also have my designs on my site in non-choppy form. So, when viewing and judging, use these logos for me.

Utah Stallions Logos

Utah Stallions Home

Utah Stallions Road

what!? is the page out? I cant find it.

Doh!

To my mind - and eye - three designs stand out: the Utah Raptors, Salt Lake City Terror and Utah Sting.

If I were rating the logos on artistic production value, it would be as follows...

1)Salt Lake City Terror (by the narrowest of margins over)

2)Utah Raptors

3)Utah Sting (I particularly like the primary mark for this one. I find the "U" in the secondary to be a bit... "goofy".)

Rated on how well the identities tie-in to their marketplace, it would be...

1)Utah Raptors (tied with)

1)Utah Sting

3)Salt Lake City Terror (Unless I'm unaware of a bit of SLC folklore regarding a Nessie-type monster in the Great Salt Lake, this is certainly the most "original" identity.)

With regard to CURRENT originality, my voting would be...

1)Salt Lake City Terror

2)Utah Sting

3)Utah Raptors (Damn those minor-league baseball Ogden Raptors!).

So, after much soul-searching, I cast my vote for...

I'll get back to you guys on this one. I've got to give it some more thought. Great work!

Brian in Boston

I LOVE the Terror logo.

It doesnt fit really for this challenge.  But it is exceptional.  WHomever did that should copyright it and be prepared to sell it.  Especially to a team from Scotland maybe???  Nessie? :D

seriously though.  Awesome.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Whenever the voting begins, mine goes to the Terror. That is a great logo and great colors. Makes mine look like I drew in crayola. Great job to whomever created the design.

which one is yours?  :)

ps. i agree, the flash is great!

Doh!

we'll im going to go ahead and place my top 5 logos, though this months challenge was easily the best yet..

1) Salt Lake City Terror - originality wins over

2) (tie) Utah Raptors, and Salt Lake City Seagulls - 2 very well designed logos, and the 'gulls had the touch to show what they might actually look like on the ice

3) Utah Sting - great primary, but there's just something about the 2nd i dont care for as much

4) Salt Lake City Sidewinders - no comment  :;):

5) Utah Attack - well done logo, but the name throws me off

notables: Indians, Hornets, and Stallions

everyone else did a great job but the competition was too intense this time  :)

Whenever the voting begins, mine goes to the Terror. That is a great logo and great colors. Makes mine look like I drew in crayola. Great job to whomever created the design.

which one is yours? :)

ps. i agree, the flash is great!

This was my first entry in webdav's challenges and I did the Utah Cutthroats. I did some research into Utah, and didn't want to pursue the dino route, so I found the name cutthroat and thought it would be great. However, I didn't design a mean looking fish, so he comes out looking dead. Might as well be flapping on his side, gasping for his last breath.

I am looking forward to the next contest, knowing that the competition is at this level.

Whatcha gonna do when the Ultimate MegaPowers run wild over you!

UMPPrimarySig.jpgUMPWarriorSig.jpgUMPAltSig.jpg

If we are unofficially voting this way....

Mine goes to the Terror. Although I think the name Serpents would've worked just as well and had more alliteration.

Before I critique it, I would like the artist and the board in general to realize that the closer you are to perfect, the more the corrections present themselves.

The stroke (outline) around the name "Salt Lake" in the wordmark doesn't work. That part doesn't need to be outlined. Also, the "wave" or "water" portion beneath the creature is sharp, dynamic, full of motion...but loses a wee bit of recognizeablity. There is a trend with stylized logos that any old sharp shape will do. I would encourage you to tighten it up a tad...push the contrast even further.

But, to pull the compliments back into the fold...that is pro quality illustration and could be ready for use for some team. Just excellent work. Color, balance, movement are all there. I voted for yours because your primary is the strength of your package....as it should be. As much as I like my Raptors, I dont think my primary is strong enough. I think the secondary (intital) mark is closest to finished.

Lastly, props to all as this monthly contest is really amping up. Even the ones without the representational quality are well thought out and more complete than in months past. Very nice work.

What's Augusts????!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived