July webdav challenge: nhl salt lake city

webdav

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK,

I know webdav was unavailable to start voting on the first...and that is so totally understandable that it's beyond fine. :)

But I'm super bored and can't wait any longer.

Here's mine.

http://www.north18.com/images/utah_raptors.jpg

Following is the (Possibly) Needless explanation of the name I chose. I really thought most of the names thrown about when this started were very good and fit really well. I couldn't shake the first thing that popped into my head though, so I went with it.

I know...raptors??! We need another dinosaur team like a hole in the head. Dinosaurs are so 5 years ago and Toronto already has them. BUT.

In starting this dino-retro-resurgance....with the original Jurassic Park, Mr. Speilberg cheated a little bit. He wanted a more terrifying villian than the TRex and wanted it to be the raptors. Velociraptors though, were much much smaller (roughly half the size ) creatures in reality than in those films. They were like , I dont know, 24-36 inches high and 5-6' long including the tail. Nasty, to be sure, but hardly the killing machines in the films.

Steve also combined elements of other dinosaurs to arrive at this JP Velociraptors. Deinonychus is the actual species that featured the devistating 6" claw on its feet and was closer to the size of the animals in the film.

These would all be considered harmless creative license and relatively uninteresting if not for the fact that less than a year after Jurassic Park opened in theatres, an actual raptor that size (roughly double) was found in Utah and subsequently named UtahRaptor. The species is sometimes also called Speilberg's Utah Raider.

ANyway, all the fierce looking, giant raptors that inspired all those coloring book, toy, and t-shirt sales and the naming of the Toronto franchise were actually Utah Raptors, not velociraptors...so I think it a more fitting team nickname for Salt Lake City than anywhere else.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

wow.  The wordmark is great.  really smooth.  The claw seems kind of stuck on there, but it works.  The secondary logo reminds me of the Utah Jazz secondary. I like it, but the rip throws me off.  Now to the main logo.  Awesome detailing work.   Is he ripping through a circle?  What's the light blue thing he's coming out of that comes to a point.  Thought it was his body at first, but I don't think that's right.  The spike thing could be his tail, but what's the ripped things under his claws?  Nevertheless, great work.

What font did you use on the wordmark.  It's obviously tweaked, but what was the font you tweaked it from?  It's cool.

Love the colors you used.

The font is called CONVOY.  Everything I have is free so it should be around..on 1001 Freefonts.com or something.

Thanks for the feedback.  Everything you said is right.  Some parts are vague and confusing...but I reached a point where you say "I'm done now".  The thing he's climbing through is ....i dont know what.  I thought of making it an off-center "U" for utah.  It's not his body and its not quite a circle either.  I just wanted a context for him to tear through something.  I Suppose it could easily be a state silhouette or an "R" or anything.  My original idea was to do like a fossil thing...but that was very JP and very brown.  That's why I tried to mirror at least one of the Jazz colors and their initials thing.  I think the rip wouldnt be as distracting if I made it clearer where the letter U was....

Thanks though.

ANyone else want to post??  I want to see them....

I might never do the webdav again....not because of anything other than my lack of patience.  It's like waiting for a game or movie to come out.

No explanation necessary sterling. After all, minor-league baseball's Pioneer League is home to the Ogden Raptors. They're located just up the road a bit from Salt Lake City.

Brian in Boston

Oh...shoot. If there was a list of all the stuff I didn't know...I swear. Well, let's just say that list would be longer than the average Sterling and B in B post combined.

I still think it sounds pretty cool that the species name and team name are identical.

Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up.

OK guys, here is some news, just too keep everyone up to date.

Came back from our office taking a 4 day weekend only to have a deadline to meet. So I don't have time to put up the page with the logos. So, I'm extending the deadline until next week, Monday the 11th.

That should give everyone time to get things in. We'll vote starting the 12th.

Next "month's" contest will be long as well, with the deadline being the end of September.

Now go and finish your projects. Or make them even better than they were before you sent them.

That's really nice, Snowcap.  There's always the Chicago Blackhawks thing to deal with, but these are nice.  The Cheif logo reminds me of some financial group.  Omaha or something.  Just at first glance.

thanks...do u mean this logo...

brandlogo.gif

i did use some indian pics for reference but that wasnt one of them. it took me a while with the face features. but once i got the main part down it kinda flowed.

EDIT - BTW, my vote goes to Sterling...WOW!!!!!!! great work

untitled-1.png

Sterling84 has got my vote, but I like snowcaps too!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived