July webdav challenge: nhl salt lake city

webdav

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now for my critiques and rankings.  Comments are not meant to put people down, just my thoughts on the logo.  This month's contest is the best yet.

I did the Stallions, so I won't critique it or include it in my rankings.

Attack-  Very nice.  I like the idea of the kind of leaping raptor, like he's about to pounce on something.  I don't really like the name, but witht he way yo have the Raptor attacking, it works.  It kind of looks like the Raptor is smiling.  It's a combination of the mouth and the eye.  Very good artwork.

Thunderbirds-  Very iconic.  Seems like a logo for the fascists or something.  Just the feel I get from it.  Rounded font is wrong.  Should definately be more jagged.  The outline on the bolts need to come to more of a point.  

Sidewinders-  TOO COMPLICATED.  I get lost in the logo with the skull.  Too many things make it disorienting.  The wordmarks are good.  What would go on a uni?

Prowlers- If it's going to be a sillouhette, the white marks on the body should be black.  The head isn't defined enough.  I don't think the shield behind it works.  I would place that shield behind the SLC wordmark and get rid of the circle-triangle shield you have on the wordmark.

Cutthroats-  Not a good hockey logo.  Looks like a logo for the Cutthroat fishers of America.  Lose the wordmark on the home logo.  Too much.

Submarines-  plain.  Seems like Paint.  Submarine needs definate work.  Looks like the submarine from the Beatles' yellow submarine.  The SLC shouldn't be the main logo.

Indians-  I like this.  Very strong.  The face is really good.  Not too simple but not too complicated.  Good work.

Hornets-  Too cartoonish.  The Hornet needs to be holding onto the stick more.  SLC needs to be larger in the Hexagon logo.  Same with the head in the State outline logo.  Too much empty space in both.

Raptors-  very nice.  good colors.  The light blue thing should be made into something definate like a U or a circle.  As is, it's kind of confusing and doesn't work as well.

Seagulls-  Not a hockey logo.  Looks too sweet.  Colors are too soft and light.

Terror-  WOW.  I think Syphi did this.  Not much I can say.  I think the neck is a little thin.  Change the name to Serpents or something like that and it's golden.

Sting-  Seems like a WNBA logo.  I think it's the font.  I like the bee flying down for the sting.  That's cool.

My Rankings:

1.  Terror

2.  Raptors

3.  Attack

4.  Indians

5.  Sidewinders-for the artwork quality.

6.  Thunderbirds

7.  Prowlers

8.  Sting

9.  Hornets

10.Seagulls

11.Cutthroats

12.Submarines

Iowafan, Theres a problem you can vote more than once. After i voted, I closed the window clicked on the link again and up trhe poll, not the results. I think the MVP type voting, where you rank them is the best way to go.

Yes, it does take you back to the same page, but it'll say "You've allready voted!" if you try and vote again.

sig09.jpg

Oh... my aching head. After a night of feverish sleep, my mind a jumble of well-designed logos, I have - at last - made a final choice in the Salt Lake City/NHL July webdav Challenge.

My top three choices are as follows...

Gold Medalist: Utah Raptors - Well-designed AND it specifically ties in to the State of Utah. I love all of the treatments: primary, secondary and wordmark. Minor (Or should I say "minor-league"?) point deductions for using the same name as the Pioneer League's Ogden Raptors. Still, tight artwork and the locally-relevant identity bring home the "gold".

Silver Medalist: Salt Lake City Terror - By the SLIMMEST of margins, resulting from the identity not quite specifically connecting to the locale enough for my taste. I've got to take that into consideration. I mean why else would webdav bother to assign a specific locale? That said, OUTSTANDING artwork and composition... the best of the group, in fact. If this had been done for a Seattle, Portland or San Diego-based team (i.e. A community more traditionally thought of as being linked to the water.),  or as a complete identity overhaul for NFL Europe's Scottish Claymores (i.e. "Nessie"-inspired)... you'd likely be taking home more than the "silver". Terrific work!

Bronze Medalist: Utah Sting - I truly like the primary mark. A nice, stylized rendering of a bee superimposed over the State of Utah. Brilliant in its simplicity. I also like the font used for "Sting".  I do question why the motion lines makes it appear as though the bee is flying in reverse? Shouldn't they be emanating from the trailing edge of the wings, stinger, etc.? Points off for that. The font used for the "U" in the secondary mark strikes me as being a bit "plump" and "goofy" for lack of better descriptions. Still, easily my "bronze" medalist in the competition.

Brian in Boston

My final post on this subject... I promise.

After further review, I can see the effect that the Utah Sting designer was going for. Given the fact that the Bee was rendered so simplistically, it was initially confusing - at least for me - as to why it would be flying "backward". I can however make out the slight "bend" in the body of the Bee, as well as the curvature of the stinger, that indicate that we are looking down on the underside of the Bee's body as it prepares to sting something.

I guess my initial confusion was due to the fact that we most often see insect mascots rendered as more detailed and "cartoony" (i.e. New Orleans Hornets' "Hugo", Georgia Tech's "Buzz") so it's easier to make out their actions. However, that said, I like the Utah Sting designers decision to go with a more simplistic rendering. A nice contrast to other insect logos that are out there. Very deserving of its "bronze medal".

Brian in Boston

I went out and look around the internet and in fact there is rumors and stories of  a monster in the great SALT LAKE.  The stories are those similar of Nessie in Scotland.  They have died down in recent years but were prominent in the past.

SO the design does work with the region.

As taken from Utah.com

"Legends abound about the lake. Early explorers thought the lake was an inland extension of the Pacific Ocean, or that a river connected the lake to the ocean. Some Indians and early settlers thought the lake was inhabited by a terrible monster with an enormous head. The lake and its legends are an intriguing part of Utah's landscape and history."

I went out and look around the internet and in fact there is rumors and stories of a monster in the great SALT LAKE. The stories are those similar of Nessie in Scotland. They have died down in recent years but were prominent in the past.

SO the design does work with the region.

As taken from Utah.com

"Legends abound about the lake. Early explorers thought the lake was an inland extension of the Pacific Ocean, or that a river connected the lake to the ocean. Some Indians and early settlers thought the lake was inhabited by a terrible monster with an enormous head. The lake and its legends are an intriguing part of Utah's landscape and history."

I voted for that, :)

what is webdav's real email address? coz i appreantly emailed to the wrong address. mine isn't in the poll. Just wanted to make sure so i can have it for the next one.

Doh!

I'll offer my critiques.

Utah Attack- I don't like the name, and the dinosaur looks...um..."special". It just doesn't look menacing...something about the face. I do like the production, colors, and jerseys though.

Utah Thunderbirds- Echo almost everything Sabres said. I also like the colors in this one.

Salt Lake City Sidewinders- One of my favorites. The name does have a little alliteration (haha), I would drop the "City" to just Salt Lake Sidewinders. The font and all 3 logos are very nice, and once again I like the colors. The snake's rattle also looks like an ear of corn, and I agree the skull is maybe too complicated, but nevertheless one of the best concepts this month.

Salt Lake City Prowlers- Seems like the jerseys are the focus. Not a big fan of the jerseys or the font, they seem to scream "minor league". The prowler could use some touching up (there are some squared-off points) and I don't quite get what the white marks are for. Not really a big fan, but a solid entry.

Utah Cutthroats- By far the strangest concept of the bunch. The fish looks...um...dead. It's a quite nicely drawn fish though, I'll give you that. :D I'd lose the gradient in the Utah logo too. I know a cutthroat is a fish, but when I think cutthroats I think pirates. I like the name, maybe you could work with a pirate theme?

Salt Lake Submarines- Um..can't say I like it. The SLS is too plain and shouldn't be the primary, and I wouldn't do the Submarine with the Calligraphic brush. Honestly, I really couldn't see Submarines as a team name either. The best thing in this concept is the colors, they seem to fit.

Salt Lake City Indians- Not a big fan of the colors, but this is definitely Snowcap's best Webdav work, by far. I like the wordmark and the Indian logo is good. Overall nice job by Snowcap.

Utah Stallions- Ignoring the image quality, there's some nice work behind this. I like the horse and the horse profile. I'd tweak the tan color just a little (probably lighter) and remove the white-blue detail line that's going down the horse's back on the Alt logo. The pointy things on the wordmark seem off, but as a whole, nice work.

Salt Lake Hornets- My entry. I agree the hornet looks quite funny holding onto the stick, I think I'm going to go farther with this concept, it's one of my personal favorites that I've done so far.

Utah Raptors- Probably my favorite wordmark of all, and I really like the secondary logo and the colors. Great work.

Salt Lake Seagulls- I actually like the colors, different from the norm. I really like the seagull, but I'd lose the whole "S" thing. It might be just me, but I don't like the Flash animation. It's a good idea, but it seems like it's...I dunno...a way to try to pull in votes it wouldn't normally get. However, I do like it.

Salt Lake City Terror- Very, very impressive. I'd change Terror and drop City from the team name, but with that logo it doesn't really matter. I'd lose a bit of the water detail, but that's an extremely well drawn sea monster thingy, but man, that's great. Another suggestion though, lose the gradient in the wordmark. My favorite.

Utah Sting- Uses the "Beehive State" link. I prefer the name Hornets over Sting, but I prefer that logo way over mine. The U looks kinda weird in the secondary logo, but it's still a nice alternate. I also like the "coming down for the sting" idea.

The Webdav Challenge is starting to catch on. Great contest, full of very nice designs!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Before the voting goes any further...

Here is my entry which I e-mailed to webdav well over a month ago, that for some reason did not get included. It was submitted on time and I would like it to get consideration.

Click here to see entry

http://mrudolf.tripod.com/logos/utahbees.html

This means there are

14entries!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

me too.

I know the image quality is bad.  See the links I made for my stuff on my site.  It's actually gold.  I added the line down the back because it seemed too plain without it.

I'm not sure who my vote is going to for best concept.  What's the vote count right now?

I think we should rank them, like I did in my thread.  Only include your own.

GRRRR...

No one can get into my website to see my entry, and for some reason webdav didn't include it ...

I probably have the winning entry, and now it won't get any votes.

Someone please tell webdav to add my entry to the list. I know he has it!

:(

CK3ZP8E.jpg

All the extras, rink, letter set, alterante logos are great...but to me the "meat" of the design isn't enough to merit the win (to me anyway...) The bee logo, though well drawn, is too simple for a modern expansion team. Reminds me a lot of the WFL Charlotte Hornets logo. The beehive inaugural logo is nice, but the beehive lacks detail. Overall I think you have a solid concept, just not enough to be the winning entry...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

All the extras, rink, letter set, alterante logos are great...but to me the "meat" of the design isn't enough to merit the win (to me anyway...) The bee logo, though well drawn, is too simple for a modern expansion team. Reminds me a lot of the WFL Charlotte Hornets logo. The beehive inaugural logo is nice, but the beehive lacks detail. Overall I think you have a solid concept, just not enough to be the winning entry...

Fair enough ...

the bee may be a bit too simple, you're right ...

and (banging head on wall) I originally had a lot of detail in the secondary beehive logo and took it out. (It's a modification of the city seal of Wilkes-Barre PA)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Make that 15 entries. I sent this one in very early but Dave must have overlooked it. Considering the quality of the entries received I can see how he overlooked it! It's the Salt Lake City Quarrymen. quarry1.gif

A name of thought of just recently: The Salt Lake City Slickers.

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

Archived