New York Yankees Concept

MonkeyWrench32

The Montreal Canadiens also have a huge winning tradition in their league, and they didn't seem to have any problems putting their names on the backs of their uniforms.

No, but the Toronto Maple Leafs did.

I also haven't seen the Red Sox put names on their home uniforms yet.

Yeah, and then the league stepped in and told them to stop being crapfaces. Just like the MLB oughta do.

And the Red Sox are stupid too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could care less about names, but IMO the patch would look nice on both jerseys. Better yet, make it the logo that PANTONE recolored and posted a few weeks ago.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

new_york_yankees.gif

I only did the backs because the only change that should be made to the fronts is a white outline around the "NY" on the home jersey.

I have to disagree, mush as I hate them the unis can't be touched. Plus, I think that white outlines on numbers on white jerseys is the single most pointless innovation in uniforms of all time.

They don't need names. Just leave the Yankees alone. The team doesn't want them, the fans don't need them, everyone likes it the way it is. I think if what you're trying to do is standardize the uniforms across the majors, jettison all the vests. It'd be like a handful of NBA teams playing in t-shirts or pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good luck getting Steinbrenner, or whoever will own the team after him, to put names on the Yankees' jerseys. They won't buy into it, they're like the Amish. They stay away from electricity, and other modernized material crap.

I'm watching TV. The Yankees are playing some other team. I can't hear the TV because our doggone washing machine is so loud it would drown out the sound of a 10-megaton atomic bomb. The Yankees have a runner on first. I see the number, but don't recognize it and can't tell who's on first.

But I can't find out who is on first because it's Yankee tradition not to have the names on the backs of the jerseys.

When you have practicality vs. tradition, give me practicality any day.

I'm watching TV. The Yankees are playing some other team. I can't hear the TV because our doggone washing machine is so loud it would drown out the sound of a 10-megaton atomic bomb. The Yankees have a runner on first. I see the number, but don't recognize it and can't tell who's on first.

But I can't find out who is on first because it's Yankee tradition not to have the names on the backs of the jerseys.

I sound like a broken record but here is my question. Even if they did have names would you be able to read it? No. Also, when watching tv they have nice little graphics that tell you who each person is.

I sound like a broken record but here is my question. Even if they did have names would you be able to read it? No. Also, when watching tv they have nice little graphics that tell you who each person is.

I can see the names fine, whether I'm at the game or on TV. I'd suggest you either get a bigger TV, or get your eyes checked.

As for all of you who are hostage to tradition, in the interests of tradition the Yankees must:

(1) Take the numbers off the uniforms too.

(2) Wear baggy wool turn-of-the-previous-century uniforms and teeny tiny gloves.

(3) Eliminate TV broadcasts.

(4) Eliminate radio broadcasts.

(5) Pull all non-hand-operated scoreboards and advertising boards off the stadium walls.

(6) Take the train to all road games.

(7) Play all games during the day.

(8) Forfeit all games that do not involve the Red Sox, Tigers, White Sox and Indians, since none of those other teams were around in the great Yankees days of yore. They also cannot play the Philadelphia Athletics since they're not in Philadelphia anymore, or the St. Louis Browns since they're not in St. Louis anymore.

Of course, you won't be able to read this since, by tradition, the Internet shouldn't exist either.

Packers-2.png

The Montreal Canadiens also have a huge winning tradition in their league, and they didn't seem to have any problems putting their names on the backs of their uniforms.

No, but the Toronto Maple Leafs did.

I also haven't seen the Red Sox put names on their home uniforms yet.

No, but they did put the names on the roads, the batting jerses, and I think the alternates as well.

But I'm not talking about all uniforms, just the road ones. I see no problem with the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers and Cubs being name-free at home. I want to see names on the roads...I don't follow the other teams much, so when they come to Boston it's easier to know who the other teams' players are.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Doesn't matter if they're the '05 Yankees, they'll just get stranded on base anyway

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Yankees truly do suck.  The modern team only wins because its precious mega-media contracts funnel millions of dollars at them.  I say slap names on them, and pick a "NY" logo already.  I hate that inconsistency.  Same can be said for the Tigers.

I absolutely disagree. I love the fact that both teams have two versions.

Oh, and put names on the backs of your jerseys. Your not better than anyone else, and if putting names on the backs of the jerseys is gonna ruin your tradition, you might as well not have a tradition.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I have to disagree, mush as I hate them the unis can't be touched. Plus, I think that white outlines on numbers on white jerseys is the single most pointless innovation in uniforms of all time.

Are you kidding me? I think all of the pinstripe teams should do this. It really helps everything to separate from the pinstripes and be more visible.

They don't need names. Just leave the Yankees alone. The team doesn't want them, the fans don't need them, everyone likes it the way it is. I think if what you're trying to do is standardize the uniforms across the majors, jettison all the vests. It'd be like a handful of NBA teams playing in t-shirts or pants.

The only thing that I'd want to standardize is names on every jersey, no exceptions.

Absolutely!

BTW, I also have a high definition television and 20/20 vision (thanks to my contacts).

The Yankees truly do suck.  The modern team only wins because its precious mega-media contracts funnel millions of dollars at them.  I say slap names on them, and pick a "NY" logo already.  I hate that inconsistency.  Same can be said for the Tigers.

I think he's referring to the fact that the NY on the Yankees jersey differs from the one on the hat.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think he's referring to the fact that the NY on the Yankees jersey differs from the one on the hat.

I know. And I like it.

Would I be making any sense to suggest that tradition aside, people also be willing to comment on the merits of the design itself, whether or not the existing design is "untouchable"? I like to see people's ideas for teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Packers, Penn State, etc., even if the team actually changing is totally impractable.

That said, I like this minor tweak. In fact, I would welcome any change to the Yankee unis because I have never liked their look, traditional or not. Nevertheless, I realize their current design is and will remain timeless.

LT

I have a hi-definition television and I have 20/20 vision.

Well than slap your eye doctor, demand a refund, and go somewhere else, because your not getting your money's worth. When Chris Young was pitching against the Yankees Saturday, the first thing I looked for to identify him was the name on the back of his jersey. Names should be required, not just an option. Otherwise, what's to keep me from saying "I don't want Majestic's marking on my jersey" or "I don't want any patches but my team's own"? If you let one do it one way, everybody will do what they want. That leads to chaos.

I have a hi-definition television and I have 20/20 vision.

Well than slap your eye doctor, demand a refund, and go somewhere else, because your not getting your money's worth. When Chris Young was pitching against the Yankees Saturday, the first thing I looked for to identify him was the name on the back of his jersey. Names should be required, not just an option. Otherwise, what's to keep me from saying "I don't want Majestic's marking on my jersey" or "I don't want any patches but my team's own"? If you let one do it one way, everybody will do what they want. That leads to chaos.

Apparently you haven't looked at the Yankees sleeve the did refuse to put the majestic logo on it.

As for tv, yes if it is a closeup you can read the name but not at a regular medium shot. You can see letter but barely make them out. At at the game you definatly can't read them without binoculars.

I personally think with baseball it should be up to the team. I think baseball uniforms look fine without names. I watch the Yankees play the Red Sox at Fenway and I can tell who is who just fine and easily with out names. Not having names on the back of their uniform is a huge part of Yankee Tradition with their uniforms. That can not be debated. I like most Yankee fans never want to see names on the back of their uniforms. We have a difference of opinion, let's leave it at that.

Please explain how not having names on the back of the uniforms are huge Yankee traditions.

The interlocking NY? Yes, that's a huge tradition.

The pinstripes? Yes, huge.

The navy blue and white? Absolutely huge.

But beyond that, there is some room for leeway. One of them is names on the backs of the uniforms.

No, I'm not a Yankees fan. But I am a baseball fan. I love the game and I love the traditions of the game, such as the ones I mentioned. But I also want to know who's who in a game because that enhances my feel for the game. I associate better with a player if I know his name. And I can't always tell a person's name just by seeing his number.

Again, my idea is not to dismiss tradition. It's to add information.

Archived