Rockets new logo

Phil

Well, I agree the matter of logos being art is completely subjective. Here's the thing: I'm all for change, and I'd even be up for a new style for logos to be done in... as long as it was good. This new stuff we've been seeing like the Bobcats, the Rockets, the Atlanta Falcons... it's not good. It's downright ugly. Logos don't all have to be rendered in comic book style and I am by no means saying that's the way it should be. I'm a fan of effective, beautiful logos and the last few we've been given are neither. That's all I'm saying.

I think the point you're making about the logos in the past being a step above painting a price tag on something is very relevant. Owners don't give a crap what the logo looks like. They're finding that new logos, good or bad, sell more merchandise. That really bothers me, because that's pretty much the way the world is going. They're starting to forget about style and substance. "Let's take a dump in a box and sell it to people because as long as we tell them it's new and improved, they'll buy it."

I'm just trying to fight for something I love because I hate seeing such hideous designs being awarded with multi-thousand dollar sums with no regard to what the fans want.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know that I made one part clear. I was saying that not too long ago...wearing sports branded material was not the mainstream. It was a rare thing to acquire a jersey from another state, sport , country.

It took work to find, work to possess and seemed much purer.

NOw, it's different.

Hey i hear ya, me personally i take pride in being probably the only person in Topeka, Kansas with a Toronto Argonauts Jersey.

I think everyone should take a look at the thread on this over at FanHome (if you haven't already)...it looks like this logo being "leaked" out is a "flat" version, and that the "official" logo may have more color and possibly more depth.

Geez...the Houston Chronicle even published the new Pantones in their updated article this morning...

Red 200 C, Silver 877 C...

Except that the HR part of the logo is trumpeted on the rockets own website as being 'the next big thing'. And its still gropwing on me! I think maybe one of the reasons we don't jump about and get excited about any new logo is that it takes time for the branding thing to take hold, of anything not just sports! I still think with a classy uni this logo could just be the thing, all we have to do is wait a couple of months to see what the rockets come up with. And in the meantime mull over the thousand and one rockets concepts we will all post on here!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I have to agree with Nirtoseed and to be truthful a branding campaign shouldnt make you like the logo any better. Then all you are doing is buying into the hype and proving the point to management that fans dont care what it looks like because it will sell.

Me personally I am not a big fan of the new logos and the way logos are being done for sports franchises these days. The sense out there is to go back to flat 2D images Ex. Falcons, Bobcats or Rockets. I think they went real simple, but what was left out was Depth and a bit of Realisim. If you are trying to depict a rocket, a falcon or bobact, shouldnt the emphasis be on trying to capture what each stands.

Rocket = Speed, Power, Burst

This doesnt have to be accomplished with dark outlines (which I am a fan of) or in a catroonish way, yet should not be accomplished with a 2D flat image that doesnt not even hint of action.

Hopefully the future of sports logos doesnt come full circle where we put an SF in and oval and call it a logo. That to me although a classic is not a design at all. As a designer it pains me to see that creativity is lost, so who will help me find it.

PANTONE - hopefully you are right and they do go with more depth, would make one designer happy.

I'm with you guys.  Don't get me wrong.  If Houston comes to me instead, it looks nothing like that.

I had this thought while at work today...the logo, or the branding effort, marketing campaign..what have you.....is supposed to do all of the things that marketing does for any company.  Enhance you, make you look professional, entice people to purchase your product, and subliminally or blatantly describe what your company is all about..what you stand for, what you represent etc.

In sports, the product is the game itself...i.e.  They want you to buy tickets to their games or watch their games on television at the very least to earn them greater revenue that way.

But it's changed now.  Now, in many ways..the marketing materials (the logo) IS THE PRODUCT.  

Take a moment to think about how odd that is.

It's like collecting coupons, or taping commercials, or requesting spam emails.

They seem to have decided that attendence is an "X" factor that fluctates with; whether or not you are a good team, your team has a storied history, or whether you have flashy players or are visited by flashy players.

So in absence of working on a better product to make more money, they offer us the option to pay for their marketing materials.  We pay for the privelege of advertising for them.  And now, they hold press conferences to announce that they have new marketing materials.  This is fairly unheard of.  Advertising can be either subtle or in your face, but either way it's not supposed to be SO evident that we (the consumer) is being played.

I'll give you an example:  Many of you visually inclined people might have realized that UPS changed their logo within the last few months.  It's a simple, stylized improvement over their box with ribbon one.  Well, they didn't announce that they changed it to everyone on TV or in ads...THey didn't sell T-shirts.  they just did it.  And sooner than later it will seem in, take hold and be what people associate with their company.

So it is even stranger to me now, after my revelation...that the Houston ROckets organization has us all in a stir, essentially about their ALL NEW ,FAT FREE, LOWEST RATES IN TOWN, 25% OFF, LOW SODIUM, HASSLE FREE marketing campaign.

Please don't misunderstand.  I know why we all follow this so closely.  It interests us , always has..  Even before it was big business.  But the secret is out now, they know our weaknesses and it is going to get more frequent and lamer and stranger.

What would a turn of the century player have thought about alternate jerseys??  "For what now??  So you can sell 'em?  Jebus, son..I don't care what color the shirt is just lemme play!"

Also, I think in regards to my earlier post.  When I referenced that it never even used to occur to people to "wear what the pros wear".........that aside from the baseball cap, which became part of pop culture: no GM, coach, player, fan, or casual observer would've considered wanting or owning or wearing on the field merchandise as recreational fashion.  ONce again, folks like you and me...with our Pro-Line catalogs have changed the world.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I can agree - it isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but it isn't bad, either. I had a little trouble finding the "H" in the design, but then again I didn't figure out the Milwaukee Brewers famed "MB" baseball glove design (my favorite, incidentally) for 5 years after it hit. :P

No doubt, bro.  I also had trouble w/ the "H" -- having it below the "R" makes it look like Rockets Houston.

But for all-time unfathomable logos, how about the Expos?  The "M" contains "e l b" for Expos le baseball.  Comment?   Qu'est que c'est?  Whatever.

I also detected a vaguely Asian quality to the font.

I don't know that I made one part clear. I was saying that not too long ago...wearing sports branded material was not the mainstream. It was a rare thing to acquire a jersey from another state, sport , country.

It took work to find, work to possess and seemed much purer.

Word.  I grew up in Arizona and one summer I was in New Haven, Connecticut.  I came across this sports store that had gear for scores of teams -- man what a treasure trove!  I was so psyched, I musta bought 10 of those old Sports Specialties caps that summer.  You know, the wool adjustable ones w/ the city name in small block font on top and the team name in larger script beneath?  Awesome.  Blew my spending money for the entire summer in about a week.  What a moron I am.

:D

I want to like it. I want to like it because it is not the logo that they have been using since 95-96...

And although it is a vast improvement over that logo, This logo dosn't even measure up to the old Red and Gold logo.

Poor Job by the folks in Houston. Poor Job...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

One word- "BORING", you'd think with all the Big $$$ and creative think tanks they could tap into the front office people could of come up with something better.

I agree with the comment that when you first see something new, you usually don't like it.  My first impression was, it looked like a "bleeding" R and it was something  from the RockyHorrorShow, then I read jlucas4092 comment so I didn't feel like I was too far off track.

About the only thing I did like is that the top part of the R looks like a rocket.  It's just not real creative.  I think the Cleve Cavs have the lead in the NBA new logo race! ???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I want to like it. I want to like it because it is not the logo that they have been using since 95-96...

And although it is a vast improvement over that logo, This logo dosn't even measure up to the old Red and Gold logo.

Poor Job by the folks in Houston. Poor Job...

now guys, i am holding judgement on this until i see the full package. from what i've read online, the rockets gave the logo out because someone at the chronicle was gonna post a cruder version, and that the logo will have more than just the red in it. and IMODO you guys are being wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too harsh about it

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

I'm sorry... I just don't see how this "logo" is going to grow on me. I even feel ridiculous calling it a "logo". It's a glorified alphanumeric "font", is what it is! I'll keep this post mercifully short. I think that my previous posts in this thread speak volumes (quite literally) about how I regard the Rockets' new look.

Brian in Boston

I was hoping that the new logo would appear in China before it would appear in England!  :D

As for the now OLD logo. I really liked the font on the logo. If they just used the script on their uniforms instead of the entire logo and lost the pinstripes, we would have had a pretty decent uniform all those years!

As for OLD the red and yellow logo, I never liked it! The uniforms were OK though.

It will take a long time for me to get used to this logo. If this logo lasts for more than a decade, then I will probably say that this logo is a success.

It took me a long time to get used to the Mighty Ducks logo, but I have gotten used and actually have grown to like it now that they have been around a decade.

I saw, I came, I left.

I musta bought 10 of those old Sports Specialties caps that summer. You know, the wool adjustable ones w/ the city name in small block font on top and the team name in larger script beneath?

I know the ones. In fact mark my words -- their comeback is just around the corner. What is Sports Specialties waiting on? I figure with the mesh caps just getting back in 'style' (NFL Draft), those will be next.

I was just wearing my red Bulls cap the other day -- the original kind, with just black letters, adjustable and no outline -- while I watched LeBron's first 'game' in Orlando.

I can appreciate their simplicity. And the logos don't matter on those. In this case -- to stay on subject -- the Rockets hat would have shifted from red with yellow letters to navy with red to (now) red with white.

Can it be that it was all so simple then?

Son of a BITCH!!!

The logo is growing on me. It... it really dosn't look to bad. It's not a travesty, and it... i dunno...

...looks kinda good to me now...

Damnit.....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Son of a BITCH!!!

The logo is growing on me. It... it really dosn't look to bad. It's not a travesty, and it... i dunno...

...looks kinda good to me now...

Damnit.....

I hear you.  That white, 3D-ish rendering of it makes it look reasonable.

I hate that.  Bah.  I still don't like it, but it's not quite as hideous to me as before.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived