Washington Wizards Logo

ltravisjr

I don't know about this Wizards logo. I think the current logo is much better compared to this.

wizardslogo.gif

Something about the face on that ball reminds me of this:

JacksonvilleSuns_PL.gif

...and I don't know if that's good or not.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about this Wizards logo. I think the current logo is much better compared to this.

wizardslogo.gif

I love that wordmark, but if you want to clean up and simplify the logo this is not the way to go. The logo is much more complex and busy than the current one. Its unique and original, but too much too look at.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Never saw the correlation between naming your team the Bullets and high crime rate. It didn't endorse, cause, or glorify violent crime.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

wizardslogo.gif

Gotta agree with that. I like the simplicity of the current one. I wonder how this would look (improve?) if the face weren't forced into the basketball shape. It's a pretty good rendering of a wizard's head except for forcing it into the basketball shape.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I had always liked the old Bullets uniforms as a kid. The funny thing is that on the wordmark, I had always thought the two "l's" were supposed to be the end of a rifle with a bullet shooting out. I thought that was cool until I looked closer and saw it was actually two hands reaching for a basketball. Then I thought it was really cool.

LT

I don't mind the name, but that logo is a piece of crap. Has nothing to do with anything in their name. The only thing that the logo tells you is "well, we try to get rebounds while playing basketball." How it ties in with bullets (or even the concept of speed, if you want to go that route) is beyond me.

Between the old Caps and the old Bullets logos, DC had some stupid sports ID for a while. "Look! It's a stick- AND a puck! Those guys down there skating around must play hockey. Go figure!"

I don't think there's anything wrong with the name "Wizards"... it was based on fan voting, the aliteration is kinda cool, and there's lots of potential for good imagery.

The colors are cool too, IMO. I like the parallels to the Caps scheme, and I think they fit the Wizards name well.

I just think they need a new aproach to the logo. Something a little less abstract would serve them well, I think.

Maybe a crystal ball/basketball alternate mark would work well.

One reason, aside from the negative conotations with the "Washington Bullets", and the fact they were one of the higher per capita murder rates during the 1980's is the fact that they actually MOVED to Washington, DC. Originally the Chicago Zyphers, he team became the Baltimore Bullets and then moved to Capital Centre (USAir Arena) in Landover, MD and became the "Capitol Bullets", later "Washington Bullets". Changing the nickmane also coincided with the move to become DC's team. plus, look at Congress and how they use as US taxpayer funds. Wizardy?

http://www.nba.com/wizards/history/00400304.html#8

If the Bullets were associated with a Bullet Train, there probably wouldn't be any problem. But since the Baltimore-Washington area has been recently noted as having a high crime rate with a lot of gang violence, the owners probably decided that something that makes you think of a gun would not be the best choice for a nickname anymore.

What's the big deal? So they switched it. Times change. Names that were innocent at one time aren't anymore.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think it's ok that Washigton switched names. Clearly, problems existed with the old name, it's understood. The problem lies in the fact that they switched to Wizards. Finding a logo that works for that nickname would seem to be the holy grail of modern NBA logos. With as much history as Washington has(and our government as a whole), you would think something more approriate would have come up than Wizards. Personally, I like Washington Whippersnappers, nothing to do with location, just has a nice ring to it.

I don't mind the name, but that logo is a piece of crap. Has nothing to do with anything in their name. The only thing that the logo tells you is "well, we try to get rebounds while playing basketball." How it ties in with bullets (or even the concept of speed, if you want to go that route) is beyond me.

Between the old Caps and the old Bullets logos, DC had some stupid sports ID for a while. "Look! It's a stick- AND a puck! Those guys down there skating around must play hockey. Go figure!"

That's not a rebound, that's a jump shot.

And maybe simplicity is better? The old Detroit Pistons logo that was just a blue and red basketball was better than the teal horse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived