Washington Wizards Logo

ltravisjr

With the Wizards advancing in the playoffs I figured I would ask about their logo. Is it just me or is it rather complicated for what it is representing? I get the idea that the W is the Wizard's beard and that the basketball crecent doubles as a moon, but why include the whole wizard guy with his arms, legs and all? Would it be better if they just used something like this:

WIZ1.gif

or even this?:

WIZ2.gif

Maybe it is just me, or maybe I am missing something, but it just seems there is too much going on with what they got. Any opinion?

LT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...because otherwise the wizard looks like an amputee?

Wow, I thought that was a tongue-in-cheek reply, but you are right - the beard then looks like legs without arms. Well, I guess that is why I don't do this for a living! :P

LT

I was living in DC while in college when they changed the name from the Bullets to the Wizards. Used to go the Bullets/Wizards games whenever the Celtics play in town. I understood the name change. Crime rate in DC was high back then. But Wizards? They could've come up with a better name than that.

ugh i'd hate for any major league team to have a cartoon logo like that fort wayne logo.

but, if you guys go to rozilla's web page (Atomic Duck Designs), he has a pretty cool wizards concept worth taking a look at:

Atomic Duck Designs

but i do think the wizards could've done a much better job than what they have now.

im not a big fan of the name wizards, i would much prefer the name Magi (not magic but magi).

I didn't like the fact the Bullets had to change for PC reasons. so theres already a bias there against the wiz. as a team name wizards or magi as i prefer for another city like New Orleans or Charlotte i wouldn't mind. the logo doesn't bother me to badly i could be used for any city with the team name Wizards.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

however you rerrange or layout that Wizards logo it is crap. I've hated

it since it's unveiling. I think it's one of,(if not the #1) worst logo

in pro sports. It remins me of a childrens book illustrated

with cut paper and pipe cleaners.

Getting rid of the arms and legs was a great start. Now, make the rest of it disappear and put a decent logo in place of this abomination... :mad:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

but, if you guys go to rozilla's web page (Atomic Duck Designs), he has a pretty cool wizards concept worth taking a look at:

Atomic Duck Designs

Sorry roz, that site is very hard to navigate through

Really? :blink: I thought it was pretty cool and intuitive.

Atomic Duck Designs

Sorry roz, that site is very hard to navigate through

Really? :blink: I thought it was pretty cool and intuitive.

Oh it looks cool, no debating that -- i just had a hard time finding that Wizards logo, nothing told me what logo was linked in those thumbnailed preview images.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Magi? When they throw a game away, would it be called "Gift of the Magi" in the next morning's papers? :D

I agree that the logo is terrible. It needn't be - surely somebody could come up with something interesting involving a wizard's hat or something - but it is. Too complcated by far.

I don't know about this Wizards logo. I think the current logo is much better compared to this.

wizardslogo.gif

I honestly can not tell what the hell that is. Is it a fish? Is it a really fat grumpy man's head? Is that gold W suppose to be part of his cap?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I agree that the logo is terrible. It needn't be - surely somebody could come up with something interesting involving a wizard's hat or something - but it is. Too complcated by far.

I came up with something. I can't promise it's interesting, but ask and you shall receive...

wizardslogo.jpg

This is what happens when you're stuck using MS Paint ghetto-style and have a few minute to kill. :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

They need to change their name back to the Bullets, and their logo should be a gangbanger firing off a 357 Magnum, and the secondary logo should be spent shell casings lying on the sidewalk after another driveby shooting.

:grin:

That would be great...

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Archived