Illustrator Help

pcgd

is there a feature in Illustrator were you can take 2 objects and contour them toeghter, Im making so vinyl graphics and for plotting purposes i need to have all the shapes and paths combined so any info would be awesome

Open the pathfinder palette and click the combine path option. Hope this works.

Doh!

is there a feature in Illustrator were you can take 2 objects and contour them toeghter, Im making so vinyl graphics and for plotting purposes i need to have all the shapes and paths combined so any info would be awesome

Open the pathfinder palette and click the combine path option. Hope this works.

awesome thanks

I love you.

that's just not something one dude should say to another dude

Who cares? I was just happy that a problem that had been frustrating me for a while was finally fixed.

Goldmember: Dr. Evil, You look very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh.

Dr. Evil: You know, Goldmember? I don't think that's something one dude should say to another dude. Yeah. A little creepy. Mmhmm.

Can someone help me with this?

Let's say I use the Line Segment tool to create two seperate lines (in this case, spokes on a wheel). Between those two spokes, I want to shade in the area with a different color -- I've used green for the spokes, but want to fill in the area in between with a blue color. I've tried to select the two segments and Fill the area with blue, but nothing happens. How do I color this area in?

I love you.

that's just not something one dude should say to another dude

Who cares? I was just happy that a problem that had been frustrating me for a while was finally fixed.

Goldmember: Dr. Evil, You look very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh.

Dr. Evil: You know, Goldmember? I don't think that's something one dude should say to another dude. Yeah. A little creepy. Mmhmm.

I think the fact that you care so much is a little bit creepy.

Untitled-1.png

Can someone help me with this?

Let's say I use the Line Segment tool to create two seperate lines (in this case, spokes on a wheel). Between those two spokes, I want to shade in the area with a different color -- I've used green for the spokes, but want to fill in the area in between with a blue color. I've tried to select the two segments and Fill the area with blue, but nothing happens. How do I color this area in?

I don't know if there's an easier way to do this, but you can just draw a shape in the desired area and fill it with the appropriate color, then send it to back.

Or copy and paste the two lines and join the ends of the lines together to form the shape to fill the color in and send it to back.

Hope this helps.

Doh!

OK- I am not a Graphic Artist, but I play one on TV.

I have AI 10.0, and I am totally learning this whole thing from the start.

My problem: I am trying to do a semi-simple wordmark for my t-shirts.

I have Raytown South in red, but I need to arch it and put black trim around each letter. I can't get the program to create an outline to put around the red font.

This is what I'm trying to do- The green R is a sample of what I need to do, then I want to arch it. I've done it on bitmap, but it's too grainy.

HELP :blink:

rs.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Put the fill color as red and the stroke color as black. Use the stroke width option at the top to adjust thickness. If you want a double outline simply copy the text and place it exactly on top. Then make the bottom layers stroke width higher till it creates a double outline look (not sure if this is the easiest way but its how I do it).

As for the arching select your text and go Effect>Warp>Arch (or arc depending on how you want it).

Hope this helps.

Untitled-1.png

Thanks for the answer - but I still don't know how to 'create' the outline.

What do I do to create it - the rest of the advice make sense.

Thanks - :wacko:

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

You just create your text, switch to direct selection tool the tool, click on the text, and choose your stroke color and size. It should then automaticly create the outline once you increase the stroke weight (not width, my bad).

The stroke weight box is in between the box that says Stroke and the character box.

Untitled-1.png

Honestly, you want to avoid using outlines for wordmarks and letters in general.

Why you ask?

Well, what an outline does it it places a line of whatever width you want, directly on the outside edge of a shape. So you put a 4 pt outline onto a letter, you are going to lose 2 pts the entire way around. (make sense?)

What you should do is one of 2 things. Depending on you, one way is easier and the other way is harder. Its pretty much personal preference.

You have your wordmark. Don't put an outline on it.

Option 1:

Convert text to outlines. Then expand shape the number of points (or inches, or mm's if you are a canadian) you desire. You can repeat the process 4 times if you are designing the new NHL logo. (not recomended)

Option 2:

keep you text active. (this is the advantage to option 2) Now copy and paste behind. Put an outline around this text, not your top text. It might be best to split this up into layers so you can lock out the layers you don't want to change. (the disadvantage of option 2, you can't directly select each "outline") Now you can add outline width to your hearts content.

Before any kind of production like t-shirts or printouts that aren't on your desktop printer, you will always want to both convert your text to outlines, and convert your paths (or outlines) to shapes.

Just a little tip for you guys. Had to learn it myself, but if you are dealing with say, a 12 pt font, and put a 2 pt outline on it, you will shrink your word(s) by 2 full points. This, needless to say will not look right.

BINGO - that did it pcgd. Thanks. I did what you said, played around with some 'formats' and came up with a simple ARC text with the trim.

To me it's a classic look, as well as looks nice on white t-shirts.

This shows a drop shadow, which I changed to an outline on the text.

2005SMSCampshirts.jpg

Edited by KCScout76

OK, I've got a good one:

I've vectorized a number I had in a PSD file but I need to know how to get rid of the area marked "Here" on the below picture:

Image2.png

I surmise it has something to do with setting up a clipping mask, but when I set one up only the "Here" area is left. What am I doing wrong?

[EDIT: I meant I want it transparent.]

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

OK, I've got a good one:

I've vectorized a number I had in a PSD file but I need to know how to get rid of the area marked "Here" on the below picture:

Image2.png

I surmise it has something to do with setting up a clipping mask, but when I set one up only the "Here" area is left. What am I doing wrong?

[EDIT: I meant I want it transparent.]

First, make sure the "hole" part is in the front and the main outline is in the back. Also, be sure they are not grouped with each other or with anything else.

Select both the hole and the main outline.

Click "Object", "Compound Path", "Make".

That should do it.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Ok, I have AI 10 at home. When I was still going to college (working on my degree in Graphic Design Tech.) we were using 9.0 and 9.2 at the time. On there I could do the WELDING (it may have been called something else on those versions but did the same thing.). On 10 at home, I have nothing on there that I can do any type of welding with. So when I want to combine objects, example: text, into one object, I can't. I've learned to deal with it and just group them together but it would be so much easier and better if I could weld them.

Anyone know how to do this on AI 10?

P.S. I know I ramble a lot as evident on this post, but I just.................sorry, I'm doing it again. I shutup now. B)