Ot: canadian baseball league to fold (sort-of)

Roger Clemente

I just knew this was going to flop since day one.

July 17, 2003

Canadian Baseball League to conclude inaugural season after All-Star Game

Vancouver, B.C. ? The Canadian Baseball League announced today that in an effort to move the league forward in 2004, it will suspend play following the CBL All-Star Game, July 23 in Calgary.

?We are grateful to the CBL fans, CBL cities, players and managers, and all of the men and women of the CBL who have created history in this first season,? said CBL Chairman Jeff Mallett. ?We have determined that the best way to achieve our goal of a high quality, professional baseball league for Canada requires us to take the time now to organize, plan and structure the league for a positive course ahead. The next step is to fulfill our obligations to our business partners and our employees, and then focus our attentions on opportunities for the league in 2004 and beyond,? continued Mr. Mallett.

A league champion and Most Valuable Player for 2003 will be named at the All-Star Game in Calgary.

?The All-Star Game is a great way for the league to showcase the talent that has emerged in our inaugural season,? commented Mr. Mallett, ?and it is a great way for the league to thank our fans across Canada for their support.? The CBL All-Star Game will be broadcast nationally on the Score Television Network beginning at 6:00 pm local time (8:00 ET, 5:00 PT).

?We truly appreciate the support our local CBL communities have shown,? said CBL President and CEO, Charlton Lui, ?it is this passion that will carry us forward toward the future.?

Canada?s only member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Ferguson Jenkins, will remain as Commissioner of the CBL, and will continue to play an important role in leading Canada's professional baseball league.

"Our inaugural season has produced some memorable moments and some superb on-field performances,? said Mr. Jenkins. ?Our managers, coaches and players should be applauded for their efforts and the level of baseball skill displayed. I am hopeful about the prospects of the league and I am committed to working towards a successful future," continued Mr. Jenkins.

Source: http://www.canadianbaseballleague.com/arti...articleid=45637

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

At least the National Basketball League lasted the whole season.

And who was the best team in their only season?  The Cape Breton Breakers! (although we lost the finals)  I still have their pennant.

champssig2.png

Didn't the Winnipeg Thunder weasel their way into the finals of that league?  I know in our first year in the IBA, we made it to the finals despite a dismal record, because we and Dayton were the only two teams with enough cash to finish the season...

Hey, 11,000 people in Winnipeg Arena for crappy basketball.  Not too shabby...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Didn't the Winnipeg Thunder weasel their way into the finals of that league? I know in our first year in the IBA, we made it to the finals despite a dismal record, because we and Dayton were the only two teams with enough cash to finish the season...

Hey, 11,000 people in Winnipeg Arena for crappy basketball. Not too shabby...

No, it was the Cape Breton Breakers vs. the Saskatoon Slam.

Oddly enough, the other six teams were in major Canadian cities with like 500,000 or more.  Sydney has 30,000.

champssig2.png

The league isnt dead, it will be coming back next season.

Most leagues that have to cut a season short, or go on hiatus for a season, never come back.  Those that do usually fold not long after. (See: RHI)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the49erfan15

Group: Members

Posted: July 19 2003,00:39

30,000? Man my town has about 50,000 and we don't even have a minor league team.  

Hey we have well over 600 000 with only a junior hockey team. But of course we have the Toronto teams to fall back on!  :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, we had 30,000 people and a record shattering Calder Cup Playoff run in 1993.

And now we've got Marc-Andre Fleury (well, maybe not anymore).

champssig2.png

Well, it might be because of our closeness (30 miles) to Charlotte that we don't have any teams. We did have a few different minor league teams when everybody had a small minor league baseball team in the '40s, and we had the Rock Hill Cardinals in the '70s, but not any since...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The XFL lasted longer :D

Oh the humanity!  My beloved Demons!  Come back! :(

(for the newbies, I used to work with the San Francisco Demons of the XFL)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

30,000? Man my town has about 50,000 and we don't even have a minor league team. :(

my town's bigger than that (over 80,000) and we don't even have an ice rink, let alone a professional team at any level...all we got is a semipro football team (albeit the Notre Dame of semipro ball) :angry:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The league isnt dead, it will be coming back next season.

Most leagues that have to cut a season short, or go on hiatus for a season, never come back. Those that do usually fold not long after. (See: RHI)

See also, USFL.

In this case, however, I hope I and my fellow eyebrow-archers are incorrect.  Independent, minor-league baseball is still about the game and the fans and you just can't have too much of that.  Perhaps, with Montreal scheduled to come into the revenue stream next year (they played all games on the road this year), they will have a better financial base with which to work.  I wish them luck.

Archived