New Big East logo

SteveR

This may very well be old, but with the big turnover today (losing 1 school & adding 5), the Big East appears to have unveiled a new logo:

bev_prim2c.jpg

This replaces the arched one that was conveniently in the same colors as the New York Knicks.

BTW, why hasn't the Big East just gone and bought its own floor for the tournament? Having all those extra lines and markings makes it one busy floor. Too busy, if you ask me.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

It may have been posted a while ago but today was the day that South Florida, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati officailly joined the Big East. I dont think it was a good idea for South Florida to join, the closest teams are Louisville and West Virginia

Signature intentionally left blank

There was news posted about this around the time of the Big East basketball tournament, but this is the first time I've seen the logo. There might have been a different logo released at the time, but it might have just been generic arches text or something like that.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It may have been posted a while ago but today was the day that South Florida, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati officailly joined the Big East. I dont think it was a good idea for South Florida to join, the closest teams are Louisville and West Virginia

true, but that's the sacrifice they must make to play big time college hoops and football (although the BIg East isn't so "big" in football any longer).

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Still, it isn't as bad an idea as BC choosing to leave a conference made up of many small, Catholic schools in the Northeast to join the ACC. As an alum of an ACC school (I'll let you guess which one... ^_^ ), part of what made the conference great is that the rivalries were geographic. We could drive to every school except FSU in a day's drive. You grew up with and worked around people who went to rival schools. It was a close-knit group of schools, mostly large, public universities (Duke and Wake are the exceptions, but are geographically perfect for the conference, their excellence in competition notwithstanding).

Now, add a school thousands of miles from 2 of the other schools in the conference, a school that has zero common bonds with the rest of its new rivals, and so much in common with the conference it spurned.

If the ACC wanted 12 teams, go back and get South Carolina. Get Louisville. East Carolina, William & Mary, Charlotte... any of those schools would've made more sense than BC.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It may have been posted a while ago but today was the day that South Florida, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati officailly joined the Big East.  I dont think it was a good idea for South Florida to join, the closest teams are Louisville and West Virginia

Still, it isn't as bad an idea as BC choosing to leave a conference made up of many small, Catholic schools in the Northeast to join the ACC. As an alum of an ACC school (I'll let you guess which one... ^_^ ), part of what made the conference great is that the rivalries were geographic. We could drive to every school except FSU in a day's drive. You grew up with and worked around people who went to rival schools. It was a close-knit group of schools, mostly large, public universities (Duke and Wake are the exceptions, but are geographically perfect for the conference, their excellence in competition notwithstanding).

Now, add a school thousands of miles from 2 of the other schools in the conference, a school that has zero common bonds with the rest of its new rivals, and so much in common with the conference it spurned.

If the ACC wanted 12 teams, go back and get South Carolina. Get Louisville. East Carolina, William & Mary, Charlotte... any of those schools would've made more sense than BC.

On a side note, what happened to ur boy Zoubek in the tournament of champs? Choker?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

On a side note, what happened to ur boy Zoubek in the tournament of champs? Choker?

I don't know. He's probably exhausted from taking HMHS to consecutive state titles, and ran out of gas :P .

He's only my boy for one more year. He's going to Duke. Doesn't he know the legacy of Coach K's failure to develop big men? Excluding Elton Brand, who was so ridiculously good even Krzyzyvferbwjwxaski couldn't screw him up (and he didn't stay long enough), name one Duke big man who lived up to his potential.

DANNY FERRY: Picked #2 (1989), averaged 7 points per game for his career.

LAETTNER: Picked #3, hasn't averaged double figures since the '98-'99 season, zero titles, 45 playoff games in 13 years (and 13 came this year, when he contributed a whopping 2 points a game for the Heat).

CHEROKEE PARKS: Picked 12th, 4 points a game, 2 NBA playoff games.

ERIC MEEK: Next...

GREG NEWTON: See Eric Meek...

SHAVLIK RANDOLPH: The latest in a long line of failed big men. Do you realize he was the #1 recruit in the country, and he couldn't put up more than 6 points a game in college? And Coach Ratface told him "I think you're ready to make it in the NBA"? BULL:censored:! He wanted to wash his hands of his latest failure. So much for that phony crap he spews on those American Express ads about caring about you as as person and preparing you for your life.

I was really hoping Zoubek would go somewhere better for his game. This is not going to be a good move for him. Hell, Carolina got Marty Wenstrom, Kevin Salvadori and Serge Zwikker into the league, and the 3 of them didn't have 1 set of skills between them.

Oh well, at least he'll be back to get the Dawgs a 3rd state title...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 3 weeks later...
It may have been posted a while ago but today was the day that South Florida, DePaul, Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati officailly joined the Big East.  I dont think it was a good idea for South Florida to join, the closest teams are Louisville and West Virginia

no they schould of gotten West Virgina its a perfect fit

William & Mary in the ACC? That might be the dumbest thing ever posted on this board.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

William & Mary in the ACC? That might be the dumbest thing ever posted on this board.

Granted, they suck at sports. But there is a movement among alums (I married one) in the wake of their reaching the I-AA National Semis in football to improve the athletics at the school to boost visibility for the school. Getting a football game on national TV whetted their collective appetite, and there is money to be donated. The same can be said of Rutgers (I grew up the child of an RU alum)... they're just not having much luck at it. Kids in Jersey grow up without a local team to identify with (Penn State is more than 3 hours into the wilderness).

Back to W&M. It sounds ridiculous now, but there's no reason they couldn't be better athletically. Michael Vick, Ronald Curry and Allen Iverson grew up in W&M's backyard, so there is recruitable talent closeby. And there are other schools in D-I that emphasize academics - Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame - and do well in sports. The emphasis on sports hasn't been there at W&M, but now people are starting to realize how cool it was that the country got to see their school being showcased. Good teams put your school's name into the public conscience. Besides, they'd beat Duke in football...

WVU was a good suggestion, but I think the ACC would want a more... ahem... academically rigorous school. (Which, it has been said before, is why ECU doesn't get a shot at joining.) But they'd be a great fit athletically. My point is just that while there aren't a lot of possible schools to grab up as the ACC's 12th member, certainly there are schools in the Southeast or Appalachian Mountain area that are a better fit, culturally, historically and geographically than a Catholic school tucked away in New England.

If BC gave a damn about its student-athletes, why are they joining a conference where their closest opponent is over 400 miles away (6 1/2 hours by car, longer by bus, really expensive by plane), three opponents are over 1000 miles away - and Clemson practically is [990 miles]? This move will cost money and will further erode one of the best things about the ACC - the geography fosters familiarity. Familiarity breeds contempt. You live in ACC country, you live and work with fans of your rival's school. And you play them every fall in football, and twice in basketball. It's all around you down there. It's not in Boston. I don't like it, and I submit that there are plenty of schools that would have been more sensible. Or just stay at 11 - it works for the Big Ten...

2007nleastchamps.png

A D-I-AA program isn't going to join a conference who completely changed the landscape of college sports to EXPLICITLY MAKE THEM A BETTER FOOTBALL CONFERENCE!

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

A D-I-AA program isn't going to join a conference who completely changed the landscape of college sports to EXPLICITLY MAKE THEM A BETTER FOOTBALL CONFERENCE!

No, but it would make them $20 million richer by allowing them to have a conference championship in football. :P

There have been some schools that have made the jump, and given time it could be done in Williamsburg.

But let's not fixate on one less-than-ideal suggestion and miss the point. My point is that there are a handful of teams geographically more proximate to the rest of the conference members that would be a markedly better fit than BC. Besides, they aren't close to the powerhouses that have joined the ACC most lately - FSU, Miami, Va. Tech. All have more impressive pedigrees than BC, plus the advantage of geography.

Seriously... a small, private Catholic school in New England in the ACC. :blink:?

2007nleastchamps.png

Would anybody else go out on a limb with me and agree that the Big East is going to be one of, if not the best, basketball conferences in the country? Football on the other hand? Yikes

I'll go out on that limb.

I'm not saying it'll support us or anything but I'll go. :D

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

there is a movement among alums (I married one) in the wake of their reaching the I-AA National Semis in football to improve the athletics at the school to boost visibility for the school. Getting a football game on national TV whetted their collective appetite, and there is money to be donated.

I understand the desire to improve the program but my point was that moving W&M to one of the elite sports conferences in the nation and getting beat by 90 every week isn't the way to do it. It was just a poorly thought out thing to say.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

Should be interesting to see how the Gilded Pigeons do in the ACC....personally, I think they're in for a rather rude awakening with that ACC football opener vs. Florida State. This was a team that was lucky to be in the hunt for a title in a very watered down Big East last year (as much as I'm a Big East supporter, Pitt, the 'Cuse, and WVU weren't exactly world beaters last year)

And G-d help em in basketball...they thought dealing with the likes of Syracuse, Pitt, and UConn was a challenge (granted they won the conf. reg. season title last year, only to go out like PUNKS in the first round of the Tourney at the Garden...that was kinda sweet :lol: ), I can only imagine what it'll be like when they make that first trip to the Dean Dome or Cameron or even Joel Coliseum...

I won't feel a bit of pity for them if they get slapped around...serves them right, IMO. Miami and VTech made sense in leaving for the ACC...BC going makes ZERO sense....and a part of me wants to see it crash and burn in a glorious manner.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived