The New NHL Logo unvieled

jkrdevil

Ok, it hasn't been unvieled yet but it should be at the press conference later today (friday). So I figured to start a thread for it. I've been looking for leaks but haven't found it. I have read that there will be a new logo. Bob McKenzie metioned it in a June 30th article on tsn.ca. Scott Burnside metioned this in a June 22 article.

The campaign, which will also include a subtly redesigned NHL logo, will likely begin in earnest sometime in August building toward the start of the 2005-06 season. That's assuming, as most hockey observers have, that a deal is completed sometime early in July.

So we know there will be a new logo and and that it will probably be a subtle change which will probably piss a bunch of people here off. We shall find out at 4 o'clock.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's on page c-1 of today's (7/22/05) usa today. the "sash" for the nhl now runs from lower left to upper right instead of the normal upper left to lower right.

the orange is gone. the sash and "nhl" is white. the shield remains black, with white and some sliver sheen trim.

it's the first major overhaul of a league logo (discounting the cfl) in n.a. sports since the nba adopted the "jerry west" logo circa 69-70.

do NOT like it.

how far back does the nhl logo go? iirc, i have seen it in ancient photos of nhl refs when they wore the off-white v-neck sweater (with dress shirt and neck tie) in the late 20's!!

tb

As much as I might not like it, I am just happy that the NHL is back. They could have replaced the old logo with an outline of Carmen Miranda on skates and I really wouldn't care at this point.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

it's on page c-1 of today's (7/22/05) usa today. the "sash" for the nhl now runs from lower left to upper right instead of the normal upper left to lower right.

the orange is gone. the sash and "nhl" is white. the shield remains black, with white and some sliver sheen trim.

could you scan it/take a digital pic?

I like it.

I wish it was still orange. Heck, I wish they hadn't even touched it. But I wish a lot of things.

Given how bad it could've been....I think it looks really nice.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I like it.

I wish it was still orange. Heck, I wish they hadn't even touched it. But I wish a lot of things.

It's a sad state of affairs when this is a ringing endorsement for the NHL.

I like it.

I wish it was still orange.  Heck, I wish they hadn't even touched it.  But I wish a lot of things.

It's a sad state of affairs when this is a ringing endorsement for the NHL.

hey it could be worse.... :D

brewcrew.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

Well I rather have the Brewers glove anyday over the ABAs Charlotte Krunk

That new NHL logo will have to grow on me first. The Orange in the sheild was the only one I knew

Signature intentionally left blank

Think of the change caused by the new orientation of the sash - your eyes track up rather than down, and I'm sure some design theory says that kind of eye movement subconsciously implies success/potential/strength rather than the negative connotations of a logo that leads your eyes downward.

I'm happy to see that they didn't go overboard with the gradient, using it only on the beveled contours of the border.

Do you think they'll leave it monochromatic, or maybe change up the color scheme to match where/how it's being applied like MLB does with the logo on the backs of caps/jerseys? I wouldn't be surprised to see it rendered in blue and red for the Habs but in green and yellow for the Stars, etc.

The typeface reminds me of the logotype used for Gary Fisher bikes (compare the H):logotype.gif

Archived