The New NHL Logo unvieled

jkrdevil

That font been popular in sports lately.

Anyone know what font that is?

So if the ascending letters are supposed to indicate success, does that mean the Rangers will come out with, on their jerseys, ascending letters instead of descending? (I tried to get it to print and it wouldn't, so imagine the R at the lower left and the S at the upper right.)

Packers-2.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it's modern "look", but:

1.) Go back to orange. This is as colossal a chromatic identity blunder as when the Flyers ditched their orange sweaters for the ugly black ones.

2.) REVERSE THE ANGLE OF THE TEXT BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL.

Here's how it should look...

98r2xh.jpg

Now that they have no TV deal they dropped the orange no they can save on printing costs, heck the CBA went from 150 pages to over 600.

I thought they were with NBC

Signature intentionally left blank

Actually, you read up to down naturally, so the new NHL logo is indicating going backwards if you read it that way.

Very fitting for Gary and Bob.

Yea, I look at it I see the L first and think it's the french version when just glancing. The direction is the only thing they messed up. Other than that it's fine.

I'm enhancing my stance on this thing.

I not only like it, I love it. I expect to hear hearty disagreement, especially from this detail/tradition-oriented crowd, but that's ok.

It's still a shield, it's still has a "sash", and they've been using silver to emulate the cup in certain situations for a while now. It's crisper, more modern, without having abandoned any of the elements that comprised it.

They are trying to subtley enhance the brand, and with that goal in mind it's as successful a mod as the Badgers, Cards, Seahawks.......UPS.......anybody has rolled out.

For you and I and the hardcore out there, it may always look "wrong" somehow. But the masses it will be an almost subliminal and positive shift.

I am very pleased.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

they've been using silver to emulate the cup in certain situations for a while now.

Maybe because the Cup really is silver? What other color would you depict the Cup as?

...and here I thought the cup was orange and purple.

He wasn't questioning their use of silver, BSB. Disaster averted.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I don't think he was complaining that they used silver BroadSt.

Anyways, I tend to agree with Sterling. It's a great update. I'm not a gradiant fan, but for a league logo it's OKAY...especially because I am sure it will be just a plain silver outline in many, many cases.

As for the reversal of the text direction...well...it looks weird....AT FIRST...but gimme a couple of hours of staring at it...I'll get used to it.

It's a pretty good update.

I don't think he was complaining that they used silver BroadSt.

Anyways, I tend to agree with Sterling. It's a great update. I'm not a gradiant fan, but for a league logo it's OKAY...especially because I am sure it will be just a plain silver outline in many, many cases.

As for the reversal of the text direction...well...it looks weird....AT FIRST...but gimme a couple of hours of staring at it...I'll get used to it.

It's a pretty good update.

I think it's going to look wierd untill the NHL updates all of it graphics on it's site. Because the still have the now old logo every where so you see them right next to each other.

i like it. it always bothered me that the leauge logo had the same colour scheme as the flyers (yes, i know the logo came first). im awair that in the othe big 3 leauges (nba, nfl, mlb) the leauge logos are red, white and blue, and each leauge has at least one red, white and blue team. the difference is that red, white and blue is a common colour scheme, while orange and black is not.

no nhl team uses only silver and black, so this gives the ls own leauge its own identity. i would also like to see the officials whear the all grey jerseys they wore during the last world cup of hockey.

04wch%20can%20cze%20800a.jpg

Not what I was expecting. Thought they would have a player outline maybe.

I like it, but it's not as instantly identifiable without the orange. At least not yet.

Doesn't really matter though, hockey is back! They could make the logo a big orange T and I'd still . . . well, maybe not.

I like it and i hate it .

I like it because it looks more moderate, and more slim and a different atttiuted and has a cathcing eye to it.

I hate it becuase i dont like how the "nhl" is places. They should of kept it going from top right to bottom left coner, instead of left coner to top right. I also dont like it because the logo was orignal , and you dont see MLB, NBA changing their logo, and they been on strike before too, so i dont get why they change tradition. I would of kept the logo as it was.

ps: the font in the new logo, what type of font is it ?

4kv29i.jpg

1005shield.gif

From NHL.com

Who wants to bet that at some point in the presentation somebody said, "the new direction of the letters represents a league going upwards where the old logo symbolizes a league going downhill."

Too many marketing classes in my youth.

Archived