The Q

Burning River

Also announced with the Cavaliers signings was the really important news. Gund Arena will be re-named "Quicken Loans Arena". The logo is to emphansise the letter "Q", so the nick-name "The Q" can catch on... similar to "The Jake" regarding Jacobs Field. I don't like the corporate names. But, I am happy to get entirely rid of any "Gund" association.

They will do some updates to the arena such as a new scoreboard and getting new seats installed... a different color!! Say good-bye to the baby blues seats.

Say good-bye to the baby blues seats.

I used to get Raptor and Cavs home game highlights mixed up back in the mid 90s since the SkyDome and Gund Arena seats look identical.

Blue and empty (pre LeBron)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The thing I don't like is that they are trying to establish a nick-name for the Arena. Over time, stadiums and arenas develop the nick-name.

It's sort of like the NEW Browns Stadium regarding the forced Dawg Pound theme. The old stadium simply became the Dawg Pound. Nothing was Pre-Determined about it. The new place was all about marketing and forcing the issue.

I agree about nicknames. As a die hard White Sox fan, the news that our beloved Comiskey park was renamed US Celular Field came on stond ears. It took a while, but we have narrowed the list of nicknames down. The Cell, US Comiskular, and a new one, the Joan, in respect of Joan Cusack, who does the comercials for the damned cell phone company. I wish we had gotten off easy with a obscure name like Quicken Loans Arena, then we would all get together pretty quick to solidify a nickname, as the Cavs fans obviously have with The Q.

I agree about nicknames. As a die hard White Sox fan, the news that our beloved Comiskey park was renamed US Celular Field came on stond ears. It took a while, but we have narrowed the list of nicknames down. The Cell, US Comiskular, and a new one, the Joan, in respect of Joan Cusack, who does the comercials for the damned cell phone company. I wish we had gotten off easy with a obscure name like Quicken Loans Arena, then we would all get together pretty quick to solidify a nickname, as the Cavs fans obviously have with The Q.

Screw that, it's still Comiskey to me.

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

don't remind me because remember when what is now Ameriquest Field in Arlington used to be The Ballpark in Arlington. With no sponsor! Now, fortunately, most fans even though it's now got a sponsor name attached to it, most people still call it The Ballpark.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

That name is going away probably after this season since Bank One and JP Morgan/Chase merged.

well then, what should they name the ballpark?

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Quicken Loans Arena sounds just so silly, almost like it's too corporate. I don't see why they don't just shorten it to "Quicken Arena", since it's practically the same thing, still gets the corporate name across, and sounds better.

Same with the TD Banknorth Garden - they should just drop the TD and call the place the Banknorth Garden. At least they got it right with the Great American Ballpark.

don't remind me because remember when what is now Ameriquest Field in Arlington used to be The Ballpark in Arlington. With no sponsor! Now, fortunately, most fans even though it's now got a sponsor name attached to it, most people still call it The Ballpark.

As well they should. I never referred to Candlestick as anything but Candlestick.

And Joe Robbie will always be Joe Robbie to me.

Milwaukee already has The Cell, it's what we call US Cellular Arena. Go for Comiskular.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Quicken Loans Arena sounds just so silly, almost like it's too corporate. I don't see why they don't just shorten it to "Quicken Arena", since it's practically the same thing, still gets the corporate name across, and sounds better.

Same with the TD Banknorth Garden - they should just drop the TD and call the place the Banknorth Garden. At least they got it right with the Great American Ballpark.

Because "Quicken Loans" is the name of Gilbert's company, known in metro-Detroit as "Rock Financial" (title sponsor of the Pistons, FYI), and Gilbert founded QL 20 years ago as Rock Mortgage, changed it to Rock Financial, sold the company to Intuit in the late 90s, Intuit changed the name to "Quicken Loans", to tie into their software, and Gilbert bought the company back in 2002, but didn't want to change the name, because Quicken Loans became the national brand, and he signed an agreement to use the name as a registered trademark of Intuit. There was discussion last year of changing Quicken Loans to Rock Financial nationwide, but the test market wasn't so hot, so he was forced to keep the Quicken Loans name. Gilbert's not a fan of the QL name, but has no choice. Yeah, I used to work under him at QL until June, I know it's boring. ^_^

spikes.jpg

Hey, new poster here so I relaly dont know the proper way to post the image, but thought u guys would enjoy this. The arena's new logo was shot down by the city it was so bad. Here's a link to the article talking about it: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/...9840.xml&coll=2

and here's a link to a thread on a Cavs message board that has the image of the actual rejected logo out of the newspaper since the online article didnt show it: http://mb3.scout.com/fclevelandcavaliersfr...start=1&stop=20

Archived