More "Offensive" NCAA Mascots.

hormone

Heres just a little history lesson for you :notworthy::shocked:

a Cornhusker are people who take the outsides off of corn. they wont get offended easily because its just a stupid job they do.

a Sooner is from when the 1800s when people lined up on the outside of oklahoma and at a certain time, they could all run in and take a bunch of land and didnt have to pay for it. the people who went in eariler were called sooners. so thats how they got their name. dont ask how i know that.

i dont think irish people are going to flip out because of Notre Dames logo.

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a Sooner is from when the 1800s when people lined up on the outside of oklahoma and at a certain time, they could all run in and take a bunch of land and didnt have to pay for it. the people who went in eariler were called sooners. so thats how they got their name. dont ask how i know that.

Keep in mind that the Sooners were allowed to take land that was designated as Indian territory. So under definition, a Sooner is a hostile invader to indians.

(I don't agree with this. I just see this argument forthcoming). <_<

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

there are a lot of high school teams that could be offensive. i think this whole thing is gay. its not like were making fun of the teams with indian mascots, were just using them to show who we are. after all, they were here before us. one school thats in the area has to switch from the indians to the patriots. idk maybe some people think the name patriots might offened people. :wacko:

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

Heres just a little history lesson for you :notworthy::shocked:

i dont think irish people are going to flip out because of Notre Dames logo.

That's awfully ironic of you, Natsfan. Here's a lesson for you.

"Fighting Irish" was a very derogatory anti-Irish, anti-Catholic slur coined by Northwestern fans over a century ago, when it was less than fashionable to be Irish. The name was given by WASPs who were deriding Notre Dame's students, the "strange" religion they practiced, and their "ethnic" customs and accents. The name was adopted by the school almost 30 years later, AFTER the Irish Revolution in the 1920s that got the British out of all but 6 counties on the island, which remain under the British Crown to this day. It was adopted ironically after the fighting spirit of Irishmen freed most of their island from foreign rule. The team's early successes in the '20s and '30s made the name easier to accept.

Don't try to be glib and make a flip remark about Irish people not flipping out about the logo. The logo and nickname have become accepted, even revered, but only through historic events and timely athletic success. It was every bit as much an ethnic slur with zero complimentary connotations as "Savages"; time and cultural assimilation by the Irish into American society have made it almost unbelievable that "white" people from other European countries (Irish, Germans, later Slavs, Italians) were targets of discrimination by the WASP majority. But it did occur, and was the impetus for Fighting Irish.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

If this was done in the 4 major sports. MLB: Reds(communism), Indians, Braves, Dodgers(originated from the term "Trolley Dodgers" making fun of the Brooklyn people), Yankees.

NFL: Cheifs, Redskins NHL: Blackhawks, Canucks, Canadiens NBA: Celtics,

ny_mets.jpg

If this was done in the 4 major sports. MLB: Reds(communism),

"Reds" is a shortening of "Red Stockings". Learn some history before throwing around accusations :censored:

The Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe are now opposed to UND's logo and nickname.

FORT TOTTEN, N.D. - Members of the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe have voted to oppose the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Opponents of the school's nickname and Indian-head logo packed a tribal administrative building Tuesday night and presented a draft resolution calling for change.

"(The tribe) finds that the use of the Fighting Sioux and Sioux names by the University of North Dakota is both dishonorable and an affront to the dignity and well being of the members of Spirit Lake," the resolution read.

The matter is expected to go next to the Spirit Lake's tribal council for formal adoption.

North Dakota officials have said the school had support from the Spirit Lake tribe to use the nickname. But former tribal chairman Skip Longie said that authorization, granted to the university in 2000, came with a string of conditions, including required sensitivity courses for all incoming freshman and visits to all of North Dakota's Indian reservations.

"To my understanding, I don't think the university has done any of those things," Longie said.

Tuesday's strong showing of tribal opposition came on the same day that North Dakota issued a formal appeal to an    NCAA decision barring the school from hosting tournaments or wearing Indian-related imagery in the postseason after Feb. 1.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

It's been my observation that the University of North Dakota has done little in talking with the different tribes in North Dakota (Sioux and non-Sioux) about the nickname.

This is a huge mistake. In some cases, they just want dialogue with the school. But if they can't get the tribes' support, the Sioux nickname is dead.

What would people here change the most common Native-themed schools to if they had to comply with the NCAA's lunacy?

For Example, What woud FSU be if they couldn't be Seminoles?

Crimin-oles?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What would people here change the most common Native-themed schools to if they had to comply with the NCAA's lunacy?

For Example, What woud FSU be if they couldn't be Seminoles?

Crimin-oles?

:lol:

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

"Reds" is a shortening of "Red Stockings". Learn some history before throwing around accusations :censored:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

A lot of NCAA nicknames came from terms that were supposed to be derogatory by those who orginally came up with them, and the teams started wearing that name with pride...Cornhuskers for one, the Nebraska student newspaper originally used the name to make fun of the Iowa football team, then other schools did it to them and they accepted it. Fighting Irish is another...A Jayhawk was a derisive term to Kansans who basically looted cities after the Army came in and burnt it down, but they took it the "wrong way" and loved the title and it stuck.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

so? they changed the name was communism on the fore front of everyones mind, that doesnt change that it is a shortening of Red Stockings and saying a team is communist based on a completley different reason is just asinine.

so? they changed the name was communism on the fore front of everyones mind, that doesnt change that it is a shortening of Red Stockings and saying a team is communist based on a completley different reason is just asinine.

Nobody is saying they should change or that they are communist. You said to the other poster "learn your history A-Hole."

I just thought I'd put it up. They droppsed the "stockings" after about 1900.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nobody is saying they should change or that they are communist. You said to the other poster "learn your history A-Hole."

I just thought I'd put it up. They droppsed the "stockings" after about 1900.

they dropped the "stockings" because the Red Sox came into the league and having a "Red Stockings" and "Red Sox" is redudant. and if you had a point to make about why just add a link? and the first guy said it was a communist name.

Archived