Wrong helmets in SI

katz22b

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that SI has used the wrong helmets for five teams where they mention the projected starting lineups in their NFL Preview. The issue is the Sept 5th issue.

The teams and wrong helmets I believe are:

Lions: There is no black outline around the lion

Falcons: The older helmet without any red detail in the bird

Seahawks: Silver helmet, wasn't that only a prototype? and they decided on seahawk blue

Cardinals: Last years helmet and logo.

Colts: Blue face mask

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of these.

If any more are wrong please mention those, as I'm sure there are details that I am missing that you all will pick up on.

lions: a minor change, nobody probably even noticed it

Falcons: suprising, i thought they'd put a new one on by now.

Seahawks- were just tucked away in the middle of nowhere so it seems, so who cares about it seattle? thats probably what the editors are thinking, trust me, i've still seen merchandise being sold w/ the old logo on it. it's like they don't even know.

cardinals- very very minor change, need a magnifying glass to tell the diff

colts- facemasks are always getting messed up

whats new eh?

Seahawks- were just tucked away in the middle of nowhere so it seems, so who cares about it seattle? thats probably what the editors are thinking, trust me, i've still seen merchandise being sold w/ the old logo on it. it's like they don't even know.

cardinals- very very minor change, need a magnifying glass to tell the diff

The Seahawks change was (h)uge! And they sell old merchandise for guess what? $$$!!!

The Cardinals is not a small change. Magnifying glass? Maybe for someone over 70 years old.

I haven't seen the issue, but I find it really disappointing since SI's probably has an enormous design staff that ought to be keeping up with details like this.

Though, it's pretty common for smaller publications -- especially daily newspapers -- to not update things. The paper I used to work at was using the old, late '90s Angels logos for a lot longer than the team did.

The helmets look like Riddell's own catalog/merchandise shots that were used from 2000-2001. Old and outdated. I doubt SI took any time to research these and make sure they were accurate. I'm sure someone said "Hey, you have helmet photos? For all the teams? Great! Throw 'em in there!"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Maybe a black or red facemask would have caught their attention.

Apparently not. If they missed obvious changes, facemask changes wouldn't have mattered either.

I do these graphics every season; here is what their reference should have been:

NFL_Helmets_2005.jpg

...oh, and only the Bills, Chargers and Redskins throwback helmets are shown here...the Cowboys and Lions aren't designated in the official stuff I've seen for some reason.

Didn't you tell us they don't put Thanksgiving throwbacks in the official stuff? Am I nuts for thinking you did tell us that?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

...oh, and only the Bills, Chargers and Redskins throwback helmets are shown here...the Cowboys and Lions aren't designated in the official stuff I've seen for some reason.

Didn't you tell us they don't put Thanksgiving throwbacks in the official stuff? Am I nuts for thinking you did tell us that?

They did away with Thanksgiving throwbacks this year, so maybe that's why they're not listed.

6uXNWAo.png

Ravens: probably not but it looks purple to me

Are you saying its not purple in the NFL preview?

The helmet in the SI preview looks purple ubstead of the black that it is.

I thought so too, but if you look at the Falcons helmet, it looks purple as well in the same spots, so it might just be the lighting. Or just me.

Archived