Cedar rapids red storm concept

nitroseed

Well, here's a preliminary idea I have going for the Cedar Rapids Red Storm (I believe for Mockba). It utilizes the god theme that we've been kicking around for a while:

redstorm.gif

I'm not completely happy with this though, as it's a bit rough and there are some color issues. I was hoping some of our illustrators could help me with this one and hammer out a good concept. What do you think of it so far? Good? Bad? Godawful crap? Let me hear what you think as well as some ideas to carry this baby all the way through to the finish line.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I don't see anything wrong with it.

But if you're going to collaborate with anyone on this Nitro, I'd say collaborate with Mockba and Taj, they've generously committed time to work on it since I am extremely artistically challenged.

It would be awesome to see all three of you guys come up with something. I feel if you guys worked together it would make for an awesome logo.

sig09.jpg

I actually like that rough style a lot. I was just now hoping to achieve a similar feel on a different drawing, but failed.

The lightning bolt is kinda thin. If you keep with the God theme, I envision this entirely different.

I see a cloud (with red, menacing highlights) horizontally.

Above that is your figure (waist up) throwing one bolt straight down (overlapping the cloud) and holding another bolt in the other hand. His arm is bent, ready to toss another one.

The perspective is looking upwards a bit, so you see some bottom of the cloud- He's above you. If you can get a bottom-lit effect, great.

If you want me to email a crude sketch, I can.

You may not want a do-over, which I understand. I just saw it that way.

It's not bad, I think red needs to be emphasized a little more.  The left hand is a little unsettling to me.  I like it, I can't think of anything that needs adjusting right now, but I think I need to look at this for a little bit before I can think of anything.  I do like the god idea.  I'll be interested in hearing what others think.

This wasn't for me, it's IowaFan's CFA team; I just made a shoddy attempt at it.

This is amazing stuff, Nitro.  I'll echo the comments about the bolt--it needs to be bigger, be more intimidating.  The figure, on the other hand, is pretty darned close to perfect.

And here I was thinking I'd recycle my failed attempt at this and try to spruce it up for a hockey concept.  But, I'm thinking there's no point now that you've done this.  Wow.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thats really cool stuff.

Well this was my take on it before, he said he was looking for a frontfaced kinda intimidating god. I went germanic with the god, and made him kinda nasty. The Helmet is kinda eh, but, well whatever here.

redstorm2.gif

I think you idea is great, maybe just make him an evil god rather than zeus.

the second just kinda happened, i like it, there are two other versions where the c are clouds, but he liked this version the best.

Thats really cool stuff.

Well this was my take on it before, he said he was looking for a frontfaced kinda intimidating god. I went germanic with the god, and made him kinda nasty. The Helmet is kinda eh, but, well whatever here.

is it just me or do those logos you did look like osama bin laden?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Holy cow Nitro! That is perfect, I wanted an intimidating god-like logo and I think that fits the discription perfectly. But I still need a secondary and a script so take a shot on those.

BTW, I do like Taj's CR logo, but if it could be rendered to compare to Nitro's logo that would be awesome.

Thanks for everyone's work.

BP

sig09.jpg

I would never have thought of having the god's toga/body morph into a lighning bolt, but it looks GREAT! Some random thoughts/suggestions to be ignored/used at your discretion...

1) He needs something in that right hand: a lightning bolt that he's about to hurl, a cluster of bolts that he's about to throw, a hammer (see #2)... something.

2) You could address the concern I voiced in #1 by putting a "lightning hammer" in his right hand and making him a Thor-like Nordic god. If I were to do that, I'd give the god a Nordic-style helmet and have the head of the hammer encircled by a "fan" of small lightning bolts (similar to the lightning effect that the National Women's Football Association's Pensacola Power has surrounding the team name in their logo). If you went the Nordic route, I would also suggest rendering the god's garment as a bit more "fur"-like.

3) If it weren't for the name of IowaFan's fantasy team (Red Storm), I don't think that I'd ever be moved to use Red as the primary color in a design for a lightning and/or thunder storm-themed logo. I don't know why... I'm just saying. With that in mind, and not advocating you leaving IowaFan hanging, I'd love to see a treatment of this logo in a couple of other color schemes. What do you think of either...

a) Black, Dark Royal Blue, Silver-Grey, Yellow or Gold, White

B) Navy Blue, Powder Blue, Silver-Grey, Yellow or Gold, White

I'm generally not one for having too many colors in a team's palette, as it can result in a rather "busy" look. However, I envisioned Yellow or Gold being used in the effort to effectively render the lightning bolts. I'm not saying that Yellow/Gold couldn't be used elsewhere in the logo, but I felt that the other colors in each scheme could be used to render the god/clothes/etc. I would think that the Yellow or Gold could really help the lightning bolts "pop" in the overall composition of the logo.

3) Is there any way to have a wrinkle/highlight/shadow within the toga "expand" (for lack of a better word) downward into the lightning bolt shape? I guess I'm just looking for the toga to stand on its own a bit more and the main lightning bolt to stand on its own a bit more, while both still being connected. I worry about rendering the toga and lightning bolt in all one color, because said color-block could end up dominating the logo... as the Red seems to do now. Am I making any sense?

4) The god's right chest, shoulder and bicep seem to be rendered in a more "finished" (i.e. curving, detailed) style than the left arm or right forearm (which seem "blocky" by comparison). These need to be standardized. While I was initially intrigued by the blocky, unfinished style, there's a lot to be said for the more sweeping style as well. One needs to be chosen, though. Or find a happy medium.

All in all, great work as usual nitro!

Brian in Boston

The god morphing into a bolt by Nitro is amazing.  I only have two concerns.  First, is that the god does need something in his right hand.  Second, is that his left hand kind of looks like a shoe to me.  I'd reposition the thumb or something.  But, wow, this is some good stuff.  You never disappoint with your work, Nitro.

Archived