College football Upsets

FiddySicks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iowa State defeats Iowa is definately an updset, but one reason for the loss was the injury to drew tate

In all seriousness, it is an upset and all, but should we really think it's an upset if one team beats another team 6 times in 8 years?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You guys are forgetting one here....

SMU 21, #22 TCU 10

That's no typo, folks. SMU beaten a ranked for the first time in 19 years.

SMU over the same team that beat Oklahoma in Norman last week?? Wow. I guess this means OU really sucks this year.

6uXNWAo.png

Vanderbilt 24, Wake Forest 20. (at Wake Forest)

Vanderbilt 28, Arkansas 24. (at Arkansas)

'Dores are 2-0 for the first time since 1988. They've won 2 road games in a row for the first time since 1999. They've won their conference opener on the field for the first time since 1990 (the 1993 game against Alabama that they lost was later given to Vandy as a forfeit).

And - their next five games are at home. Is it too much to think that Vanderbilt could be bowl-eligible for the first time since 1982?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

You guys are forgetting one here....

SMU 21, #22 TCU 10

That's no typo, folks. SMU beaten a ranked for the first time in 19 years.

SMU over the same team that beat Oklahoma in Norman last week?? Wow. I guess this means OU really sucks this year.

And that OU/Tulsa game was much closer than the final score indicates. AP saved the Sooners again. I smell Mack Brown getting a win at the Red River Shootout (oops sorry, can't call it a shootout anymore, lest I offend the sponsors), which turns my stomach (Mack's sudden departure from Chapel Hill forced an unsuspecting Tar Heel Nation to endure the Carl Torbush Era, where a team ranked as high as #4 in the land suddenly became bottom-feeders, from which we still are recovering, and slowly at that).

Ohio over Pitt is HUGE. Why is Pitt even playing that game? It's like fighting your little sister - if you beat her, it's not a big deal; if you lose, you'll never hear the end of it.

Most impressive upset would be ND going into the Big House and beating Michigan; it would've been TCU over Oklahoma, but I think Oklahoma's going to be revealed as frauds this year.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Vanderbilt 24, Wake Forest 20. (at Wake Forest)

Vanderbilt 28, Arkansas 24. (at Arkansas)

'Dores are 2-0 for the first time since 1988. They've won 2 road games in a row for the first time since 1999. They've won their conference opener on the field for the first time since 1990 (the 1993 game against Alabama that they lost was later given to Vandy as a forfeit).

And - their next five games are at home. Is it too much to think that Vanderbilt could be bowl-eligible for the first time since 1982?

Looking at their schedule, I think 6-5 is a good possiblity.

Is it too much to think that Vanderbilt could be bowl-eligible for the first time since 1982?

I think so, they still play in the SEC, the toughest conference in college football, year in and year out. I love the Commodore head logo though!!!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Biggest one of the year so far is Ohio U beating Pitt...I mean, jeez...Ohio U hasn't been to a bowl game in nearly 40 years and they've had about 3 winning seasons since the 60s...

Pitt played like plop all game long (even on that drive where they tied it up, they weren't that impressive) and Ohio U was keyed up seeing it was their home opener, their first time ever on national TV, and they also have a pretty decent coach (that Frank Solitch ain't too bad with a clipboard last time I checked)...

Think maybe Pitt should have thought twice about letting Walt Harris go?

Congrats, Wannstedt, you've made the Big East officially into a two team race between Louisville and West By Gawd Virginny....and teams like Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers are thankful for the fact that you can't coach your way out of a paper bag despite the talent ya got there...means those schools have a legit shot at a bowl berth when it might have been a bit doubtful :D

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Looking at their schedule, I think 6-5 is a good possiblity.

Heck, Vandy is going to win the SEC and then beat Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl. :P

Not quite, but it's not unforseeable that they could end up squaring off against Nebraska in the Independence Bowl.

Speaking of Nebraska, good for their former HC Frank Solich and the Ohio upset of Pitt.

Archived