Where will the Saints go, post Katrina?

totc

Where will the Saints wind up, post Katrina?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The New Orleans Saints are in one of the smallest markets in the NFL with a very small corporate base. Tom Benson, the owner, apparently was seeking direct subsidies from the state of Louisiana to keep the team in town.

Now that the Superdome will have to be either repaired or razed after Katrina, do you think the Saints will stay permanently after the 2005 "road" season? Where will they go?

I think they'll wind up in LA with NOLA getting a Browns-like promise from the NFL to replace the team when the proper facilities and ownership can be secured. While the 32 team format works well and certainly provides divisional congruence, the league will not hesitate to change it if it can bring in 2-4 more profitable franchises.

My guess is San Antonio because the owner already has relations with the city and they also have an NFL-ready stadium in the Alamodome. I know that the city already has a huge following of Cowboys fans, but eventually, the city will beome loyal to their hometown team, just like other expansion teams.

After the evacuees establish lives elsewhere, I do not believe a team will exist in New Orleans. San Antonio has an outside shot, being favored by Benson. However, I think the odds on favorite has to be Los Angeles. Tagliabue (and the rest of the league for that matter) desperately want the #2 market back in the NFL family.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I have this since they will end up in LA.

The NFL wanst a team in LA because its the second biggest media market.

As the dust settles and New Orleans tries to rebuild it will be a smaller city many evacuees/refugee wont wait to return they will look at where they have been evacuated to and lay roots.

So New Orleans wont be a big market anymore.

With the Superdome being damaged and teh Saints wanting a new building to start with It wont be priority to rebuild a new stadium, so without a home, and with a new stadium not being economical feesbale or sensable, the NFL will nudge the Saints to LA.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I can see San Antonio for this season, beyond that I'm not sure. In my opinion the fans there are pretty big front-runners and wouldn't support a mediocre team over time. Maybe I'm wrong.

In other news our local sports station just reported that the NFL and San Antonio were very close to an agreement that would have the Saints play four 'home' games at the Alamodome. They didn't say where the other three would be.

......and way off topic. I think it would be cool if the team wore a sticker on the back of their helmet to pay homage to the tragedy. My initial thought was the classic ribbon shape, maybe banded in Mardi Gras colors. I realize that is Nola specific, but it's their team and most understand the region involved anyway.

my .02

newsig.jpg

Let's go through these one by one, shall we?

San Antonio - Most Plausible, though last I heard..the NFL didn't like the idea.

Los Angeles - To put it as my dad does so well "If they wanted a football team, they wouldn't have run off the last two."

Memphis - This isn't such a far flung idea. When the NFL expanded and added the Panthers/Jags (I think) Memphis was one of the other cities trying to get a team.

Shreveport - Too Close, not big enough.

Portland - Really hard to call. Probably better markets that POR. (Get it? POR=Poor? No? Fine.)

Las Vegas - Man, that debate has been played out many a time.

Hampton Roads - Wha? Middle of Nowhere, Virginia

Birmingham - Too close, too small.

Sacramento - No stadium.

New Orleans - Say what? You want to move the Saints from New Orleans to New Orleans? How would you go about that?

Honestly, I'd really like to see San Antonio..but none of them are really great choices.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Where's Hampton Roads? :blink:

Southeastern Virginia...

Not gonna happen, not even on the radar, but I voted for it anyway, since I was born in that area!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I believe they will remain the New Orleans Saints.

This year, of course, they will be a "nomad" team. But there will be a place in their home city for them.

No one really knows what the status of the Superdome is. Maybe it is repairable. Maybe only the roof is damaged, and they could remove it and make an open stadium.

Anyway, staying in New Orleans is best for everyone.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I believe they will remain the New Orleans Saints.

This year, of course, they will be a "nomad" team. But there will be a place in their home city for them.

No one really knows what the status of the Superdome is. Maybe it is repairable. Maybe only the roof is damaged, and they could remove it and make an open stadium.

Anyway, staying in New Orleans is best for everyone.

Remember though The Sainst demanded a new stadium last year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Redskins would have a holly heart attack if they put it there no way will they put a team that close to Washington.

Didn't seem to matter much when the Ravens were moved within 40 miles of DC, did it? Hampton Roads is over four times that distance away. Doesn't matter though. No way in hell that area could support a pro franchise.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Memphis - This isn't such a far flung idea. When the NFL expanded and added the Panthers/Jags (I think) Memphis was one of the other cities trying to get a team.

Would the Titans have anything to say about this?

Memphis has proven that they aren't a viable NFL market. The Oilers drew so poorly there that they moved to Vanderbilt's stadium in Nashville the next season before Adelphia Coliseum was completed.

The league will do what it takes to get Los Angeles a team. The city might say they don't want a team, but they would still come out and watch them play. Move the Rams to the South Division, and get the San Francisco-Los Angeles rivalry going.

Archived