BIG TEN JERSEYS

pittfan11

Most of the recent changes have been covered; Minnesota last changed in 1997 when Mason went on board; this jersey IMO is the best in the Big Ten, or at worst, better than Wacker's rotate-a-jersey (remember the double M across the shoulders?)  Wisconsin I think hasn't changed since Alvarez came on board.  Pretty much everyone else that wasn't mentioned (Michigan, OSU, PSU, Iowa) has that "DON'T TOUCH" jersey.

And yes, Chief Illiniwek on the helmet would be sweet.

Michigan tweaked this years roadie with the yellow piping. A few years ago they did the ghosted "M" on the shoulders. Anyone remember that?

OSU, during the Earle Bruce era, the jersey stripes matched the hemlet and pant stripes. Any Keith Byers, Art Schleichter and Chris Speilman pics will reflect this.

Befgore that, the Woody era and after Earl, the John Cooper era right down to today, they have gone with what Woody called "The Buckeye stripe" on the jerseys.

Its a slight tweaking and Im glad they are back to "the Buckeye stripe", but still a tweaking none-the-less.

I didn't mention the Michigan changes because they're very subtle. I'm looking forward to seeing the new jerseys in use this weekend in Madison. The embossed "M" on the shoulders was awesome. My favorite Michigan unis. Too bad they ditched em after 1997. You can barely see it here:

cwdsn-13.jpg

spikes.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tough call. The "Randel El" era ones are ugly as sin, but the other ones are a DIRECT rip-off of Oklahoma.

Yeah: The IU was a Cowboys/49ers combo ripoff. I hated those. The black made no sense for IU and the IU in the oval had no sense of Indiana U tradition whatsoever.

These are sharp uniforms. But you cannot deny that they ripped off OU. All they'd have had to do is make one or two changes, such as not having the "hoosiers" across the top or maybe having a stripe down the helmet (or a white helmet?). Things like this would have made it less blatent.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Don't forget, Iowa veered away from the traditional Hayden Fry Hawkeye look and used the stripe jersey in the Tim Dwight-Tavian Banks era.

Yes, we Iowa fans are still trying to forget these ones:

FB_SB952_58.jpg

They then went to these, which are probably my favorite uniforms that they have worn.

UIH1003F.jpg

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

There's been word that Zook wants to change the uniforms and helmets at Illinois. However, the addition of the outline could be what the change was.

I wouldn't be opposed to a complete overall. Its not like Illinois has had a huge winning tradition since the days of dick butkus and more than likely, since the days of Red Grange. I mean...there's been some quality players in the last 25 years (Jeff George, Kevin Hardy, Simeon Rice, Brandon Lloyd to name a few.) , but as far as winning goes...meh.

These are sharp uniforms. But you cannot deny that they ripped off OU.

Both schools began using red helmets with the "Block" letter in 1966(according to Helmet Project)...hard to say who ripped off who. The school's colors are very similar...i would hardly call having the interlocking IU a rip-off of Oklahoma...

Both schools began using red helmets with the "Block" letter in 1966(according to Helmet Project)...hard to say who ripped off who. The school's colors are very similar...i would hardly call having the interlocking IU a rip-off of Oklahoma...

OK, so maybe the interlocking letters and colors are coincidence ... but the exact same helmet, jersey number and lettering, pants striping are a little hard to overlook.

Don't forget, Iowa veered away from the traditional Hayden Fry Hawkeye look and used the stripe jersey in the Tim Dwight-Tavian Banks era.

That's right...the feathers on the shoulders and different pant stripes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They then went to these, which are probably my favorite uniforms that they have worn.

Those were great. I wish they'd have kept them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

No. Any Iowa look other than the Steelers ripoff -- and particularly those hideous winglike things (stolen from the Iowa Barnstormers, or vice versa?) -- is not proper.

Speaking of ripoffs ... how many ways do Wisconsin's uniforms look like Nebraska's? (The UW uniforms are a couple of designs removed from the early '70s UW ripoff of the St. Louis Cardinals, by the way. Can nothing original be done with cardinal and white?)

Packers-2.png

OK, so maybe the interlocking letters and colors are coincidence ... but the exact same helmet, jersey number and lettering, pants striping are a little hard to overlook.

As was stated, they both started wearing them around the same time. IU went away from the look, but came back to it.

If they started at the same time, how is that a rip off??? Maybe OU ripped off IU...

No. Any Iowa look other than the Steelers ripoff -- and particularly those hideous winglike things (stolen from the Iowa Barnstormers, or vice versa?) -- is not proper.

Speaking of ripoffs ... how many ways do Wisconsin's uniforms look like Nebraska's? (The UW uniforms are a couple of designs removed from the early '70s UW ripoff of the St. Louis Cardinals, by the way. Can nothing original be done with cardinal and white?)

1994_tim_dwight.jpg

spikes.jpg

I loved reading about the Big Ten unis. The 2002 MSU uni's were a disgrace. However, they are pretty tame compared to some of the crap out there now. I have to say that I love the alternate uni's of the NFL but appreciate the old school college unis especially prevalent in the Big Ten. UM, OSU, Iowa and Penn State are immediately recognizable. I don't mind MSU current unis but would love to have the white pants have a single green stripe, eliminate Michigan State and leave blank like OSU, Penn St. etc and change the helmet logo to the old school spartan. I will see if I can find it.

I loved reading about the Big Ten unis. The 2002 MSU uni's were a disgrace. However, they are pretty tame compared to some of the crap out there now. I have to say that I love the alternate uni's of the NFL but appreciate the old school college unis especially prevalent in the Big Ten. UM, OSU, Iowa and Penn State are immediately recognizable. I don't mind MSU current unis but would love to have the white pants have a single green stripe, eliminate Michigan State and leave blank like OSU, Penn St. etc and change the helmet logo to the old school spartan. I will see if I can find it.

I personally liked the single sided "S" from the Lorenzo White/ Tony Manderich days. Plus, it was a duller green rather than the sparkly green they wear now.

And the jerseys had the thick stripe outlined by the thinner stripes. It was a cool, unique look. Anyone have a pic??

I loved reading about the Big Ten unis.  The 2002 MSU uni's were a disgrace.  However, they are pretty tame compared to some of the crap out there now.  I have to say that I love the alternate uni's of the NFL but appreciate the old school college unis especially prevalent in the Big Ten.  UM, OSU, Iowa and Penn State are immediately recognizable.  I don't mind MSU current unis but would love to have the white pants have a single green stripe, eliminate Michigan State and leave blank like OSU, Penn St. etc and change the helmet logo to the old school spartan.  I will see if I can find it.

I personally liked the single sided "S" from the Lorenzo White/ Tony Manderich days. Plus, it was a duller green rather than the sparkly green they wear now.

And the jerseys had the thick stripe outlined by the thinner stripes. It was a cool, unique look. Anyone have a pic??

I love MSU's current jerseys, but i did love the Cedric Irving era triple stripes. The Spartan logo on their helmet now is just pure beauty.

I watched on Saturday, and man, Michigan State looked absolutely flawless on the field. (Visually, of course. :P They were lucky to come away with the victory.)

And I am in the minority, but I love those Earl Bruce-era Ohio State jerseys. It's because I dislike striping that doesn't match the other striping on the uniforms. The "Buckeye Stripe" was not invented by Ohio State, so I don't see it fair to call it that, either. It doesn't match anything else on the uniforms, though, and I don't like it one bit. I'll take the Cris Carter jersey, or a plain scarlet one, maybe with a buckeye leaf on the sleeve or chest.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I appreciate all the props for my beloved MSU unis! The George Perles era uniforms were a slight knock-off of the Steeler uniforms of the 70's and today. George Perles was the D-coord. for the Steelers in the Steel Curtain day. The single pant stripe, the one-sided logo and the jersey are all a nod to Pittsburgh albeit the colors are obviously different. I will put a link on here for you to see.

MSU uniforms

I didn't like the Nick Saban era green unis. It was too Kelly green and not enough Hunter green like now!

I appreciate all the props for my beloved MSU unis! The George Perles era uniforms were a slight knock-off of the Steeler uniforms of the 70's and today. George Perles was the D-coord. for the Steelers in the Steel Curtain day. The single pant stripe, the one-sided logo and the jersey are all a nod to Pittsburgh albeit the colors are obviously different. I will put a link on here for you to see.

MSU uniforms

I didn't like the Nick Saban era green unis. It was too Kelly green and not enough Hunter green like now!

I liked these MSU unis. The "S" on the helmet with a single white stripe is awesome. I don't like the spartan head. I also like the white collar and sleeve stripe.

spomsu250.jpg

spikes.jpg

Archived