Bobby Clarke

Moose Dupont

Bobby Clarke

Mel Bridgman

Bobby Clarke

Paul Holmgren

Bobby Clarke

and now, Peter "Floppa" Forsberg

It'a a tradition of hatred dating back to 1974.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just another reason to hate the Flyers

What are your other reasons?

Orange jerseys

Bobby Clarke

Broad Street Bullies

Bobby Clarke

Eric Lindros

Bobby Clarke

Ron Hextall

Bobby Clarke

Dave Schultz

Bobby Clarke

Gary Dornhoefer

Bobby Clarke

Jeremy Roenick

Bobby Clarke

Moose Dupont

Bobby Clarke

Mel Bridgman

Bobby Clarke

Paul Holmgren

Bobby Clarke

Wow. That's a lot of hate.

Sucks to be you :P

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does anybody know if Peter Forsberg will be wearing an A on the road? Just want to know if I have to get an A for the Forsberg Flyers jersey I just had made up.

From a Philadelphia Inquirer article on Sept. 8:

"The Flyers will have four alternate captains this season, rotating two players at home and two on the road."

I don't think they've been named yet.

With all due respect to the post above, Clarke is the one reason why this team will continue to watch others celebrate with the cup. He still does not realize that adding defensemen and great scorers does not overcome shoddy goaltending in the playoffs. Sure, you can win a ton of regular season games this way, but when your goalie allows a floater from the blue line in for a cheapie, the pressure starts to mount on the scorers to perform. Further, the defense starts to take chances because they do not have faith in the netminder. Esche is no better than any of the other crap the Flyers have put in the nets since Hextall in his prime.

With all due respect to the post above, Clarke is the one reason why this team will continue to watch others celebrate with the cup. He still does not realize that adding defensemen and great scorers does not overcome shoddy goaltending in the playoffs. Sure, you can win a ton of regular season games this way, but when your goalie allows a floater from the blue line in for a cheapie, the pressure starts to mount on the scorers to perform. Further, the defense starts to take chances because they do not have faith in the netminder. Esche is no better than any of the other crap the Flyers have put in the nets since Hextall in his prime.

I disagree. Esche one of the better goalies in the eastern conference. In 2004 he, along with Keith Primeau, carried the Flyers to the conference finals. He beat the best goalie in the world in the first round, a very solid Cujo in the second and came up one goal short of the eventual Cup champion. I think he has proved him self as an elite NHL starter. He is also one of the top three, if not the top American goalie playing today.

Anybody else think rotating captains is absolutly stupid?

rotating Captaincy, very stupid... (minnesota... buffalo... i'm looking your way)

rotating Alternate captain, not so much... you can only have 2 per game... many have 4 leaders who deserve the recognition.

Do the Avs use their normal "A" logo as the alternate captain's "A" on their 3rd jerseys?

If not, should they?

The only team I can think of, and I'm sure I'm wrong, that doesn't use the standard lettering font is Calgary.

Do the Avs use their normal "A" logo as the alternate captain's "A" on their 3rd jerseys?

If not, should they?

The only team I can think of, and I'm sure I'm wrong, that doesn't use the standard lettering font is Calgary.

and even then, they only use the Atlanta A, and not another calgary C... i think they used to use the calgary C for captain, but thank god they stopped. that looked awful.

just as bad as the blackburn rovers kits saying lonsdale twice.

If not, should they?

and even then, they only use the Atlanta A, and not another calgary C... i think they used to use the calgary C for captain, but thank god they stopped. that looked awful.

Yeah, just the Atlanta "A."

Just another reason to hate the Flyers

What are your other reasons?

Orange jerseys

Bobby Clarke

Broad Street Bullies

Bobby Clarke

Eric Lindros

Bobby Clarke

Ron Hextall

Bobby Clarke

Dave Schultz

Bobby Clarke

Gary Dornhoefer

Bobby Clarke

Jeremy Roenick

Bobby Clarke

Moose Dupont

Bobby Clarke

Mel Bridgman

Bobby Clarke

Paul Holmgren

Bobby Clarke

So I take it you hate Bobby Clarke, eh? ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

So I take it you hate Bobby Clarke, eh?  ^_^

It's not just one Bobby Clarke either.

It's ALL of them.

Bobby Clarke 1972 Summit Series - deliberately trying to break Kharlamov's ankle. It's one thing to be a goon hack, but it's another do it on a world-wide stage.

"Russia would have to play the game without their flashiest superstar in Valeri Kharlamov, who was sitting out this game with a badly bruised ankle thanks to the dastardly Bobby Clarke in Game 6. At the urging of Team Canada co-coach John Ferguson, Clarke wielded his stick in axe like fashion to chop down the flashy star. Clarke would later admit he had every intention of breaking the ankle he was aiming for."

It's Bobby Clarke Philadelphia Flyer player. Captain of the Broadstreet Bullies, the most deplorable hockey team to ever discrace the Stanley Cup.

Bobby Clarke General Manager.And it's not just my opinion either;

Sports Illustrated; 1/11/1999

YOU MAKE YOUR OWN BAD BREAKS

No hockey executive has had a sorrier last 18 months than Flyers general manager Bobby Clarke, chief saboteur of his team's championship hopes. Since Philadelphia was swept in the 1997 Stanley Cup finals by the Red Wings, Clarke has replaced two coaches and made several misguided trades that not only have weakened the Flyers' still formidable lineup but also contributed to dressing-room dissension.

Here's another one from http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/

It's mind-boggling a team could go into the playoffs with so much dissension. Surely GM Bob Clarke should be held responsible for keeping a coach so clearly tuned out by the players

One more thing, I forgot to add Keith Primeau to my eariler list of why to hate the Flyers.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It's Bobby Clarke Philadelphia Flyer player. Captain of the Broadstreet Bullies, the most deplorable hockey team to ever discrace the Stanley Cup.

He's a disgrace because he was the leader of a team who found a new and exciting way to win hockey games, simple by striking fear in your opponents. It was a welcome change to the :censored: French Canadian style of play. If you tried to play like a little bitch, Dave Schultz and company pounded your face in. You'd have to understand this city to realize why the fans loved that team so much.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I grew up in Philly, albeit as a Blackhawks fan, and I can respect why Philly likes Clarke and the Broad Street Bullies. However, that does not make the man a great GM. He was a tough player with some above average skills, but I will restate my point above that the Flyers have not had quality goaltending since Hextall. The problem with Flyers fans is that if a guy, like Esche, gets hot and as a nice playoffs, they are willing to deem him the next Roy. Case in point, Brian Boucher. They guy had a fabulous playoff run and the next year went back to normal and was run out of town. My guess is Esche will do the same thing because he is an average goalie at best, look at his stats. In the end, Esche still got beat by the best goalie in the league bar none, and I don't just say that because he now minds the nets for the Hawks. As a result, the Flyers are still without a cup because Bobby Clarke refuses to realize that goaltending wins.

I'll agree with the post about Clarke underestimating the value of quality goaltending. It is amazing considering how big a role Bernie Parent played on the cup teams. Case in point: 1997 they sign an aging (cheaper) Beezer instead of Cujo, and Beezer is a major reason they fail to win a cup.

Since then, Boucher, Cechmanek, Esche. All mediocre. Esche will not be the goalie come playoff time. Nittymaki will be. And, he will be good. I think they really got lucky with that kid.

Give Clarke this: he is never satisfied, and even though some of his moves (coaches, etc.) have sucked, he always tries to improve the team. I don't like him personally, but lots of fans would wish that their organIzation tried as hard as the Flyers do to win.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Case in point: 1997 they sign an aging (cheaper) Beezer instead of Cujo, and Beezer is a major reason they fail to win a cup.

What makes you say Curtis Joseph a free agent in 1997?

Cujo was with the Oilers from 1996-98 and not a free agent until after the '98 season.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived