Just heard on Rome Is Burning

Cyclopsis Joe

Not intentionally, I was watching NFL Live and it just went off.

The MLB is telling the Houston Astros that they have to keep their stadium open tonight.

Is there any credible {Ooooo..low blow) proof of this? Jim Rome said it was something about a blimp shot?

On the 'Stros side, they say that the noise is an advantage.

Discussion? Some Proof of this? Anything?

(I know I made two topics in 5 minutes..it's a coincedence)

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Wow, I really don't agree with this at all...it's basically limiting the home field advantage that the Astros have had throughout the playoffs. Crowd noise is a part of the game, just like the freezing wind and rain was in Chicago. Let them close the roof like they have throughout the playoffs.

AM.gif

I'm sorry, but MLB telling the Astros to keep the roof closed in utter BS. Who runs the the ballpark, the Astros do. Who cares if MLB doesn't have their precious blimp shot with the field in view, they would still have a blimp shot just of the stadium with it's roof shut, whats the big deal!!!!

I'm sorry, but MLB telling the Astros to keep the roof closed in utter BS. Who runs the the ballpark, the Astros do. Who cares if MLB doesn't have their precious blimp shot with the field in view, they would still have a blimp shot just of the stadium with it's roof shut, whats the big deal!!!!

Did you keep the roof closed throughout the season?

Did you have policies in place during the season? (above 50 and below 80 degrees open if I remember right)

Its not stupid. MLB has always controlled this in the WS, the Astros knew they would do it. Its about consistancy. there are plenty of quirks that make the Juice Box have a significant Home Field advantage as it is. Its not about keeping them down. They've (The Astros) have made it a big deal by going on about the crowd noise factor when they didn't have to.

And I'm not bitter, cause I'm really not rooting for or against either team.

Crowd noise is a part of the game, just like the freezing wind and rain was in Chicago.

Not quite...wind and rain actually affect the play in a physical sense...crowd noise, not so much.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Let them close the roof like they have throughout the playoffs.

I agree. The home team should be allowed to have their advantage in this case.

Although, the White Sox have played pressure games in hostile environments all year with the MLB best road record. For a great team, this fact is very good, but the Sox are not a great team, so their road record could come into play tonight and tomorrow.

Roy O said the Sox had their advantage in the cold and rain. That's an idiotic statement. The Sox haven't played in that weather since April.

Close the roof, I'll wear earplugs at the Juice Box! (please don't slap my wife!)

Go Sox! Sweep!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Its not stupid.  MLB has always controlled this in the WS, the Astros knew they would do it.  Its about consistancy.

Which is why they should let them keep it closed like they have throughout the playoffs.

AM.gif

Its not stupid.  MLB has always controlled this in the WS, the Astros knew they would do it.  Its about consistancy.

Which is why they should let them keep it closed like they have throughout the playoffs.

Why didn't they do it througout the season? What changed in the playoffs?

They shouldn't have made a big deal out of it cause now it is going ot be a big deal.

I have no problem with the MLB doing this. They should keep it open if the policy permits.

They are well within their rights to do this. MLB regulates this in the WS and the Individual League Offices in the LDS and LCS.

I just wish the Astros would have been forced to do this throughout.

Certain quirks in a park are homefield advantage but play the same for both sides, this is not one of those cases, and that's one reason it shouldn't be allowed.

I read that Morgan Ensberg said this about the situation, "MLB is completely overstepping their bounds. You're taking away a large part of our home field advantage. Our crowd does take teams off their focus."

While, as already said, MLB is well within their bounds. Also, it's not necessarily a completely fair home field advantage. And finally, good fans don't need the roof closed to make the noise. For what it's worth, I think Houston fans are up to that challenge.

Anyways, I think this is the right thing to have happen, I just ask why now?

But yeah, I am bitter about it. That said, the few times I have watched the games, I was rooting for Houston to win. I'm not really rooting at all though. There's a few good reasons I could root for either side, but in the end, niether one of them is the right team and I'll be glad when it's over.

If Houston had won EITHER of the first two games, none of the Astros or their fans would have a damn thing to say about it. The 'Stros and their fans are desparate for something, for ANYTHING to keep the focus off them throwing up on themselves in Games 1 and 2. I'm tired of this bellyaching crap. Wanna talk, win a game. Both teams had to play in the slop and cold in Chicago. If it's 70 degrees the damn roof should be open. It's baseball, man. It's supposed to played outside, right?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They are well within their rights to do this. MLB regulates this in the WS and the Individual League Offices in the LDS and LCS.

The individual League offices were disbanded after the 1999 season. The Commissioner's Office regulates the League playoffs as well as the World Series.

The individual League offices were disbanded after the 1999 season. The Commissioner's Office regulates the League playoffs as well as the World Series.

Okay, well, that was in an article...or I thought.

But it confused me, because I figured if the league offices were still around it had to be a formality anymore...cuz at this point the only differences between the AL and the NL are the names and the DH. (Okay, style of play is different too, but yeah.)

I'm hearing no talk of this now that the Astros just lost a VERY close game. Just as it should be, this was a non-issue. As for my two cents, I don't see why they should close it seeing as how the weather was nice out. That's the way baseball should be. If they want the crowd to always be a factor (which I think is crock), they should just close the roof and bolt it down, or just go back to the Astrodome. The roof should only be closed if needed.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the fact that it rained during one of the games of the 2001 World Series (I want to say Game 7, but I'm not sure, all I remember was Randy Johnson coming in in relief). Whether or not they closed it afterwards I forget.

philly.png

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the fact that it rained during one of the games of the 2001 World Series (I want to say Game 7, but I'm not sure, all I remember was Randy Johnson coming in in relief). Whether or not they closed it afterwards I forget.

I was trying to forget that. MLB ordered the roof opened for game 7 of the 2001 World Series. It rained I think during the top half of the ninth. In the Bottom of the ninth Rivera threw the ball into centerfield so having the roof opened cost the Yankees a World Championship.

Archived