New Orleans, Louisiana on the Gulf Coast Saints

BRYWHIT

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gulf Coast Saints is pretty weak. They've always been New Orleans's team, at least until now. Are people in southern Mississippi/Alabama going to like the Saints now if they haven't before, because they're "Gulf Coast" instead of New Orleans? Yeah that changes a lot! They're representing YOU now, with their one postseason win ever. Don't waffle on your location. Maybe people like a city's team because they like the city. That's why we don't have the Most Of The Midwest Bears.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know. Let's keep them the New Orleans Saints, but add a secondary logo somewhere on the uniform featuring the state of Louisiana. :D

Or they could just bring back the one they used to use, which would solve the problem of having the same logo on three different locations (helmet, jersey, and pants) on their uniforms.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I know.  Let's keep them the New Orleans Saints, but add a secondary logo somewhere on the uniform featuring the state of Louisiana.  :D

Or they could just bring back the one they used to use, which would solve the problem of having the same logo on three different locations (helmet, jersey, and pants) on their uniforms.

Um, I think that's what Gothamite meant.... (a little sarcasm never hurts)

It is what it is.

Gulf Coast Saints is pretty weak. They've always been New Orleans's team, at least until now. Are people in southern Mississippi/Alabama going to like the Saints now if they haven't before, because they're "Gulf Coast" instead of New Orleans? Yeah that changes a lot! They're representing YOU now, with their one postseason win ever. Don't waffle on your location. Maybe people like a city's team because they like the city. That's why we don't have the Most Of The Midwest Bears.

Actually, the Saints have always had a pretty strong fan base along the Gulf Coast, including the Mississippi gulf coast. Trust me, New Orleans fans aren't the only people upset about the Saints situation. The only problem is, the Mississippi gulf coast was devastated by Katrina more than New Orleans was. I just don't think the area can support a professional team at this point in time.

AM.gif

Actually, the Saints have always had a pretty strong fan base along the Gulf Coast, including the Mississippi gulf coast. Trust me, New Orleans fans aren't the only people upset about the Saints situation. The only problem is, the Mississippi gulf coast was devastated by Katrina more than New Orleans was. I just don't think the area can support a professional team at this point in time.

I was reading and participating in a NO Saints fan message board today. They are very much looking at the world through Black and Gold glasses, and not very tolterant of anyone who doesnt follow the "company line". Whenever I pointed out inconsistencies in their posts, or flat out misrepresentations, they went ballistic on me. They dont see any problem at all with the feasibility of New Orleans supporting the Saints, or playing in Baton Rouge. They hate Tom Benson, want to fire the coach, change QB's, change Offensive coordinators, etc.

metslogo_215.gif

I know.  Let's keep them the New Orleans Saints, but add a secondary logo somewhere on the uniform featuring the state of Louisiana.   :D

I thought he was being sarcastic, but you never can be too sure around here lately...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I know.  Let's keep them the New Orleans Saints, but add a secondary logo somewhere on the uniform featuring the state of Louisiana.  :D

I thought he was being sarcastic, but you never can be too sure around here lately...

Once again, we need a designated sarcastic font. I nominate Italics simply for it's ease of use

I know.  Let's keep them the New Orleans Saints, but add a secondary logo somewhere on the uniform featuring the state of Louisiana.   :D

Once again, we need a designated sarcastic font. I nominate Italics simply for it's ease of use

Good idea. If that doesn't fly, maybe a designated smilie. How about this one, since I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it before. :upside:

This is a critical issue for me, because I can't help myself about being sarcastic.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Personally, I like the idea of Gulf Coast Saints, but that's more because I'm enamored with names like Golden State Warriors, Tampa Bay Whatever, and any of the state-named teams. Very often, a team is representative of more the region than the city it plays in, and Gulf Coast Saints is especially apt in this situation.

Plus, besides the nomadic Cardinals, how often does an NFL team change its name? It's pretty much a rarity.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Personally, I like the idea of Gulf Coast Saints, but that's more because I'm enamored with names like Golden State Warriors, Tampa Bay Whatever, and any of the state-named teams.  Very often, a team is representative of more the region than the city it plays in, and Gulf Coast Saints is especially apt in this situation.

Plus, besides the nomadic Cardinals, how often does an NFL team change its name?  It's pretty much a rarity.

Boston/New England Patriots. They are the only example I can think of without a real move (assuming Boston to Foxboro is not a "real move", since it is just a move to the suburbs).

As for the regional name preference, I can live with state names (Florida, Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona, Tennessee, even Carolina), but I don't really like the regional names or state nicknames (Gulf Coast, Golden State, New England even). Tampa Bay, for reasons I can't articulate, is okay, perhaps since it has become so ingrained with all teams from that region (vs. Boston/New England, Golden State/Oakland/San Francisco/San Jose and the like) and still designates a fairly discrete area as opposed to a multistate region.

Even with the state names, I have always thought it is a little presumptuous for one team to adopt the state name when there are other cities in the same state represented in the league (Florida Marlins, California Angels, Texas Rangers, Golden State Warriors, Florida Panthers -- though at least the Marlins were alone once upon a time (not sure about the Panthers)). Perhaps that should be a rule -- if you come second, you can't claim the whole state. Someone get Bud, Paul, David and Gary on the phone.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Lightning were there a year before the Panthers, so the "Florida" thing is presumptuous, yes.

"Enamored" with inspecific names.

Most Of The Midwest Bears

Wisconsin And Just About Any Place In The Country Is Fair Game Packers

Generally Around Lake Ontario Bills

New York/New Jersey/Connecticut Tri-State Area Giants

Rocky Mountain Broncos

Pacific Northwest Seahawks

Southwest Cardinals

Bay Area 49ers

"Golden State Warriors" sounds kinda cool, but "San Francisco Warriors" sounds even better. At any rate, their uniforms are crappy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's pretty funny. There are those of us from Western New York that would be all too happy to see the Bills renamed, or even moved some place closer to Rochester or Syracuse. After the 1999/2000 season, we're pretty sure we deserve it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Boston/New England Patriots. They are the only example I can think of without a real move (assuming Boston to Foxboro is not a "real move", since it is just a move to the suburbs).

Foxboro isn't really a suburb of Boston. It's out in the middle of nowhere on Route 1.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Lightning were there a year before the Panthers, so the "Florida" thing is presumptuous, yes.

Rocky Mountain Broncos

Southwest Cardinals

Bay Area 49ers

"Golden State Warriors" sounds kinda cool, but "San Francisco Warriors" sounds even better. At any rate, their uniforms are crappy.

Great post, laughing so hard I practically was in tears. :D

metslogo_215.gif

Rocky Mountain Broncos

Southwest Cardinals

Bay Area 49ers

I have one:

Washington Well Not Really, We Don't Even PLAY in DC, More Like Laurel Maryland Redskins. ^_^

Even with the state names, I have always thought it is a little presumptuous for one team to adopt the state name when there are other cities in the same state represented in the league (Florida Marlins, California Angels, Texas Rangers, Golden State Warriors, Florida Panthers -- though at least the Marlins were alone once upon a time (not sure about the Panthers)).  Perhaps that should be a rule -- if you come second, you can't claim the whole state.  Someone get Bud, Paul, David and Gary on the phone.

The "Florida" thing is not the least bit presumptuous. Wayne Huizenga "decided to use Florida instead of South Florida in the team name when the state animal, the panther, was selected in a name-the-team contest" (In Miami, it will be the Florida Panthers). To have called them anything else would have defeated the purpose of bringing attention to the Florida Panther.

13wb1.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived