New Orleans, Louisiana on the Gulf Coast Saints

BRYWHIT

Just a couple years ago, the Saints were talking about building a new stadium in SW Mississippi, west of Bay St. Louis. (near the Stennis Space Center if anybody knows where that is)... and they would have been called the Mississippi Saints. That talk lasted about 2 or 3 weeks though.

While the team is in limbo, they should just un-officially not refer to them as the New Orleans Saints. That's basically what the Angels are doing now, the only name on thier jerseys is "Angels" - no Anahiem. Certainly no Los Angeles or Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that both Mississippi and Alabama, both share an intrest in the Saints, being that we are the closest to the two of them to have an NFL team other than the Falcons, Dallas or Houston, I don't however agree on the name change. I think

it should remain the New Orleans Saints, at least for now. I am from New Orleans,

and in dealing with the city's situation and Tom Benson, punching out local camera

crew's, I don't see the team moving back to the city regardless of how many letters

Benson's, public relations person post's to their website about their desire to do so.

The only solution(s) I see are these, and feel free to comment:

1) Move the team to San Antonio or Los Angeles, but sell the image, colors, logos, etc. to the city for possible future expansion team (Not likely, but at least the name

and such would have died with the city so-to-speak)

2) Move the team to San Antonio. Sell the images and such to the city for an NFL

''promised'' expansion team to go along with an expansion team in Los Angeles, and have the NFL help build "twin" stadiums in both cities (Possibly by tearing down the Superdome, and building a state-of-the-art facility on the same site considering that it will take at least five years to complete each one if started at the same time they could possibly be finished at the same time) another reason would be because those who had to endure being dis-placed to the Superdome, would not enjoy being in the facility for whatever reason even if for football (Too

many bad memories)

3) The same could be said for Los Angeles, as in solution #2 if the Saints, should decide to move to LA, the NFL could grant San Antonio, an expansion team to go

along with New Orleans, but instead divert the majority of the funding if not all to

the developement of a new stadium. A good faith gesture for the many years of

having a dedicated fan base in such a small city that has proven time and time

again that they love their team.

It remains to be seen if any one of these will happen being that this is just my

opinion on what Tom Benson, The NFL and city of New Orleans, could agree to in

terms of dealing with it's franchise. I would say the same for the Hornets, but the

arena did not suffer any damage and it was only used for extremely sick people

and the elderley. It has since been cleaned and put back to normal without any type of renovating being that it is still considered a state-of-the-art facility. The

only problem would be that the Hornets, would not return to the city which would

just be a double kick in the ass that I hope doesn't happen that way.

Another solution would be and I doubt that this has ever been done before in

any team's history, is that both the Saints and Hornets, sign a temporary lease

with both Oklahoma and San Antonio, to basically "adopt" both team's until the

city can recover to some what of a financial stability. And maybe in the Saints,

situation like I said before, possibly have the NFL build them a stadium while they

are in San Antonio, so the team would have a "home" to come back to.

The only reason the team doesn't call themselves "Los Angeles Angels" is because they need to let the court case end first.

But everyone else does in fact call them "Los Angeles" - check out the scoreboard, or the tickets, any place they play.

not everyone.

the Giants tenative 2006 schedule has them listed as "ANA"

You know, it was actually that type of "adoption" plan with the then-Dallas Chapperals that allowed the start of the San Antonio Spurs, and well, the rest is history.

I do believe that a Cleveland deal would be the cleanest way for the Saints to deal with imminent relocation. I understand that there were more legitimate reasons around the Browns, yet the Saints would have at least an almost PR-related ordeal that could help keep the identity in New Orleans.

From the looks of things, Benson seems most likely to move the team on to San Antonio, as oppose to L.A. And while I would be dissappointed if Benson kept the identity, I honestly wouldn't be too peeved since I have lived in San Antonio for 16 years. Still, the homebase has gone through too much to be left in the cold.

Though any actual expansion team would have to be held back. The NFL would probably wait with the situation in N.O. and S.A. to see about the NFL back in Los Angeles. It is very possible that San Diego will end up moving there...it's just if someone moves there, say the Saints, then New Orleans will still remain with the identity, though I wonder if the league would allow San Antonio a chance with a fresh new team.

So, best case scenario: New Orleans stays put in N.O., the next two expansion teams go to San Antonio and Los Angeles.

Second-best scenario: The Saints move to S.A., change identity, the next two expansion teams are the New New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles.

Third-best scenario: Saints move to S.A., change identity, San Diego moves to L.A., next two expansion teams are the New Orleans Saints and perhaps San Diego?

Fourth-best scenario: Saints move to L.A. and change identity, the next two expansion teams are San Antonio and New Orleans Saints.

Fifth-best scenario: Saints move to S.A and remain as such, next two expansion teams are New Orleans and Los Angeles.

Sixth-best scenarion: Saints move to L.A. and remain as such, next two expansion teams are New Orleans and...hopefully San Antonio?

Yikes...and I didn't even include Jacksonville into the equation. This relocation business has turned into a dang chess game.

GR30a5H.png

I think its pretty well established that there will not be any more expansion teams in the NFL. Paul Tag already stated this many times in the last few years. If they would've done any expansion it would've been into LA one of the biggest TV markets/population markets in the country WITHOUT an NFL team.

If the Saints moved from NO (a tiny TV market as compared to LA) it would be more than beneficial to the NFL if they went to LA. All of this talk about LA not being able to support football is basically nonesense. If you look at how other NFL teams support their teams (attendance) Arizona, Oakland, Indianapolis were all below average the NFL average of about 60,000+ fans a game. (Arizona was below 40,000!!!)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance?year=2004

But it maybe a result of the stadiums. Arizona will get a new stadium in 2007-08, Raiders need a new stadium badly, and Indianapolis arguably has one of the best teams but crappiest, boringest stadiums in the NFL.

The reason why no one came out to see football in LA was the cavernous Coliseum. If they built a state of the art stadium I would be shocked to see an LA team's attendance to be below 65-70,000.

The only reason the team doesn't call themselves "Los Angeles Angels" is because they need to let the court case end first.

But everyone else does in fact call them "Los Angeles" - check out the scoreboard, or the tickets, any place they play.

I never liked the name change, since "Los Angeles" translates to "The Angels", basically, they are "The Angels Angels." <_<

I never liked the name change, since "Los Angeles" translates to "The Angels", basically, they are "The Angels Angels." <_<

Along the same lines "San Antonio Saints" would be Saint Anthony Saints

metslogo_215.gif

not everyone.

the Giants tenative 2006 schedule has them listed as "ANA"

You're right on that one - good catch.

Who'd have thought it? The Giants are actually following the Dodgers' lead. :P

If you look at how other NFL teams support their teams (attendance)  Arizona, Oakland, Indianapolis were all below average the NFL average of about 60,000+ fans a game. (Arizona was below 40,000!!!)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance?year=2004

By no means do I want to defend the Indianapolis Irsays, but that site notes that they played to 94.7% of capacity in 2004. The reason their attendance was so low is that they play in a crappy, boring, SMALL stadium (with a replacement on the way). Using the same statistics, Pittsburgh was 26th in the league in home attendance and I don't think anyone would suggest that the Steelers are not well supported.

Okay, now I can exhale. I was starting to hyperventilate from being too nice to the Mayflowers and Stillers.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have one:

Washington Well Not Really, We Don't Even PLAY in DC,  More Like Laurel Maryland Redskins. ^_^

Actually the part of Landover they play in is inside the Beltway while Laurel is 40% of the way to Baltimore.

Jack Kent Cooke tried to build in Laurel, but was shot down by the county. The theory was (I guess, theory is the right word, since I don't think there is any smoking gun) that by building basically halfway to Baltimore, he could make a stronger claim to the Baltimore market and kill any chances for Baltimore to get an expansion team. Of course, I think Tags took care of that part for him by propping up Jacksonville to the bitter end (and "bitter" just may be the right word now, given the strength :upside: (proposed sarcasm smilie) of that market).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

GULFCOASTSAINTS.jpg

Well done, but I think the Jags might not take too kindly to your inclusion of the Florida Panhandle.

I'm guessing that this doesn't make it any better?

16gj1.png

:upside:

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Best case scenario: Saints stay put but rename themselves Gulf Coast Saints but I know many of you hate that so let's just say they rename tehmselves the Louisiana Saints , The Chargers move to LA. No expansion.

I don't think Louisiana Saints works b/c the Cowboys are the team in the part around Shreveport.

Archived