A plea to sports news reporters

Andy

Stop calling the leigon of fans that follow a team a "nation." Red Sox Nation. Steelers Nation. Leafs Nation. There are many other ways to refer to these fans without making you sound like an idiot.

Thank you.

Stop calling the leigon of fans that follow a team a "nation." Red Sox Nation. Steelers Nation. Leafs Nation. There are many other ways to refer to these fans without making you sound like an idiot.

Thank you.

You're just upset cause there is no "Penguins Nation"... well not until they head north anyways :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Of course not. We're the State of Hockey. ^_^

The Pens should have moved to Portland so the alignment could be fixed. Columbus goes in Pittsburgh's spot, Minnesota goes to the Central, Portland to the Northwest. Done. :P

(And Winnipeg's not getting an NHL team.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thank you.

You're just upset cause there is no "Penguins Nation"... well not until they head north anyways :P

A excerpt from Stan Fichler's "Bluelines" article from 2 weeks ago.

Those who believe the new Salary-Capped CBA paves the way for an NHL return to Winnipeg and Quebec City should forgedaboutit. Not a chance!

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?art...orts=ice-hockey

Even with the new CBA there is no reason why the NHL to go to those cities. They are still 2 small canadian markets, meaning if a team moves there he league would get even less for a US tv deal.

But we are a nation.

nation_581x128a.jpg

WTF is that anyway? A membership into "Red Sox Nation?" lol.

Nation, when referring to sports fans, is stupid. I hate it when writers use the word nation in articles (I've done it once when talking about a friend of mine who's a Red Sox fan, but that's it). I guess it's just something that writers go with in stories...it adds flavor, I guess.

I agree that WInnipeg isn't getting an NHL team...but I also agree that in the meantime, us CFL fans shouldn't call ourselves "Bomber Nation."

W will assume we're terrorists, and you know what'll happen next. He'll bomb us back to the stone age, or as I like to call it, Saskatchewan-time.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

There are a few teams that can be called Nation becasue their fan base truely streches beyond their local boarders. I'm talking, you go to any fairily busy sports bar anywhere in the country, and you more than likly find 5 fans of these teams in the bar at that moment. That or you can name at least one friend in your home town that is a friend of one of these teams. Try it....

(US Teams only cause I can't say what teams are followed most in Canada or England other than Man U and Aresenal are all over here, you could probably throw Celtic and Rangers in there too)

MLB

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers

Dallas Cowboys

NBA

Chicago Bulls (again...90s and this is a stretch)

NHL

Los Angelos Kings (yeap...80s, this too is a stretch, I just remember the Kings being VERY popular in the gretzky days all over the place)

Detroit Red Wings (I find their fans all over the place)

Soccer

Manchester United

Arsenal

There are a few teams that can be called Nation becasue their fan base truely streches beyond their local boarders. I'm talking, you go to any fairily busy sports bar anywhere in the country, and you more than likly find 5 fans of these teams in the bar at that moment. That or you can name at least one friend in your home town that is a friend of one of these teams. Try it....

(US Teams only cause I can't say what teams are followed most in Canada or England other than Man U and Aresenal are all over here, you could probably throw Celtic and Rangers in there too)

MLB

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers

Dallas Cowboys

NBA

NHL

Los Angelos Kings (yeap...80s, this too is a stretch, I just remember the Kings being VERY popular in the gretzky days all over the place)

Soccer

Manchester United

Arsenal

proposed amendments ...

NFL

How can one forget the Raider Nation?

NBA

Lakers. Their bandwagon stretches from coast to coast.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

You can't call these folks bandwagoners.

Many became Lakers fans because it was often the Lakers vs. the Celtics in the NBA Finals, and not everyone was rooting for the Celtics.

Another reason for Lakers fans is the style of play they had in the Magic Johnson years.

My uncle, who is 77, has been a Lakers fan all of my life because he was a George Mikan fan.

Me, I root for the Lakers because I'm a Phil Jackson fan.

So there are many reasons other than being bandwagoners.

There are a few teams that can be called Nation becasue their fan base truely streches beyond their local boarders.  I'm talking, you go to any fairily busy sports bar anywhere in the country, and you more than likly find 5 fans of these teams in the bar at that moment.  That or you can name at least one friend in your home town that is a friend of one of these teams.  Try it....

MLB

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers

Dallas Cowboys

NBA

NHL

Soccer

Manchester United

Arsenal

proposed amendments ...

NFL

How can one forget the Raider Nation?

NBA

I actually had the Raiders on there, but I thought that was more an 80s/90s thing and didn't really exist anymore. But since I considered, and you confirmed, its on the Official list :D

Lakers is one I did miss however. There are tons of lakers fans everywhere. You'd think there would be alot of celtics fans, but I can't say I've ever meet a celtics fan outside of new england before.

Archived