Outdoor NBA/NHL arena?

nsentv

I was thinking about it, and part of the reason that football and baseball are so popular is because a majority of their stadiums are outdoors. Now, with hockey, I can kind of see why there wouldn't be an outdoor stadium in, say, Tampa. But, there's no reason there couldn't be a retractable roof stadium in Toronto or another northern city. The NBA, meanwhile, doesn't have the same types of restrictions in terms of temperature. Why not have, at the very least, one team play outdoors?

These games are winter sports. You wanna see basketball outdoors in Toronto in January?

It would certainley spice things up

Yea it would. That'd be cool actually. Basketball in the ice. Make them wear their usual uniforms. :hockeysmiley:

teamsnew2.png

These games are winter sports. You wanna see basketball outdoors in Toronto in January?

Yea it would. That'd be cool actually. Basketball in the ice. Make them wear their usual uniforms. :hockeysmiley:

Does That go for the cheerleaders and dance teams too? :D

Signature intentionally left blank

Does That go for the cheerleaders and dance teams too? :D

What do you think they were talking about, the players? :P

Ohio State and Wisconsin are playing outdoors in Green Bay this year and there's speculation about Boston College/Boston University playing at Fenway.

I want to see another Michigan/Michigan State cold war. Only held at the big house this time. That would be crazy.

As for the NHL, Toronto could possibly do that. The WHA was planning on putting a team in the Skydome and play some games with the roof open.

And didn't the Raptors play in the Skydome with the roof open once?

in Australia, years ago we used to paly open-air games in the NBL at Rod Laver Arena (home of the Australian Tennis Open) they had about 5 scheduled over the years on Boxing Day but they usually got washed out so they closed the roof.....it was awesome, hoever, when they did get to have it opened, i believe the only game to have been played without a roof.......awesome sights i tell ya...these days we dont play them cos no one palys there anymore, they all moved to less expensive stadiums

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

As far as basketball goes, there's this little thing called wind that would make the game less than enjoyable. You think shooting percentages are down now? Wait until Iverson plays in Boston with the roof off.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Don't forget that technically, you can do this in Pittsburgh too... Mellon Arena is the original retractable roof stadium (built in the 60s).

However, there's a reason the roof hasn't been opened in close to 20 years. There's just no compelling reason to do so for a game.

I thought Mellon Arena's roof had to be permanently shut after some of the upgrades to the stadium several years ago. IIRC, a new scoreboard needed stronger supports and adding those made it so the roof couldn't be opened anymore.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

I've always been curious as to how it would actually be opened, though. Is it like Olimpic stadium, where a giant arm basically lifts the roof up? IIRC, neither stadium is really "retractible", but more "removable."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived