An Open Question

rockchalk

So I was thinking earlier about how KU has beaten Mizzou and Nebraska this season, but other than those two games, it has been an ugly year, with no real highlights outside of the defense. Would you rather your favorite team go through the season with their only losses being to their bitterest rivals or beat the rivals and be mediocre. I've gotten my answer this year.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

So I was thinking earlier about how KU has beaten Mizzou and Nebraska this season, but other than those two games, it has been an ugly year, with no real highlights outside of the defense. Would you rather your favorite team go through the season with their only losses being to their bitterest rivals or beat the rivals and be mediocre. I've gotten my answer this year.

Good question, rockchalk...

I think it depends on the bitterness of the rivalry. I don't have a team in college football, so I might not be the best person to answer this, but I do follow the Virginia teams a bit. I would choose to lose to only the rival(s) but win all of the other games. I'd rather for Tech go 10-2 or 11-1 with the losses being only to UVa and/or Miami (or UVa to go 10-2 with the losses being only to Tech and Maryland) than to see them go 2-9 or 1-10...

Maybe the OSU-Michigan, Auburn-Alabama, Oregon-Oregon State, Arizona-Arizona State, USC-UCLA, etc., rivalries may elicit the opposite response...

DirtyCurty, please don't criticize my post because I didn't put USC first...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Having given up on the notion that my team (Mizzou) will ever contend for a national title, at this stage of the game I'll gladly trade a loss to KU for a winning season.

And apparently that's what happened this year.

The Same with Yale, since Arizona State will probably never win a National Championship, I think a win versus U of Arizona is bigger. But on the other hand, I am also a Michigan Fanatic and contending for the National Championship and then beating Notre Dame and THE Ohio State, oops sorry Destroying Ohio State is successful, anything else is a failure

as a bama fan I can honestly say that isn't really the case. You always hear the saying "If Alabama finished 1-10 and beat Auburn everything would be fine"- but that is hardly the case.

Don't get me wrong beating your rival is sweet, but not sweet enough to erase the bitter memories of a horrible season.

Destroying Ohio State is successful, anything else is a failure

Bring it on Blue Fan! We'll be there. And you had it right the first time. It's THE Ohio State University! :D

As an Ohio State fan it's hard to say which is better. We have had years that went both ways. The John Cooper era was very successful but one of those losses every year except twice was to Michigan. He ended up losing his job over it.

Last year we had a rough season but beat Michigan and that more than made up for the other losses. Luckily for me we don't see too many 2-8 seasons so the successful season vs. beating a rival question is not quite the same for Ohio State or Michigan fans. We are usually playing for both. I suppose that's a big reason why the game is so huge.

To answer the question. Would I trade a 10-2 season and a trip to a BCS bowl with a loss to Michigan for a 9-3 season with a win over Michigan and a trip to the Outback Bowl? Yeah I think so.

Every once in a great while it works out perfectly. Like in 2002

OSU 14

Michigan 9

Ohio State Buckeyes 2002 National Champions. Now if every season could be like that one.

Good luck tomorrow Lilg.

GO BUCKS!

BB52Big.jpg

The winning season--although the other can be a nice consolation prize-(like the season the Flames beat the Oilers late in the seson causing the Oilers to miss the playoffs--they both missed that year--it was a sweet consolation).

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Being a U-Dub fan, three things are always, always expected: A bowl bid, a shot at the Pac-10 title, and the yearly ass whupping of Waz-Spew.

Now, that the title and bowl bid are gone, what's left is the whupping. Right now, it's worth it, but under normal circumstances, that title and bowl bid makes it much more sweeter.

Since my Heels snatched defeat from the jaws of bictory last week against Maryland, they're all but assured of not making a bowl (they have to win at Va. Tech next weekend). Personally, I miss the Mack Brown years of 9 or 10 wins every year (except against the 'Noles), but since we're not going bowling this year...

UNC 24, DOOK 21 feels pretty good for the time being.

And the Victory Bell rings loud across Kenan Stadium for another year, painted Carolina Blue. ^_^

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Hail to the Victors...THE Ohio State Buckeyes!

That's 4 out of the last 5. This is what separates a great season from a good one. Beat Michigan, wait for a BCS at large bid (hopefully) and cruise through the holidays.

Hey Michigan have fun at the Outback Bowl.

GO BUCKS! :D

BB52Big.jpg

Given the choice as a Notre Dame fan, the two sort of go hand in hand cus we have a lot of rivals (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Navy, and of course South Central). We lose to our rivals, we likely dont' go bowling.

as a Wisconsin fan, I want a Rose Bowl. If we only beat Minnesota and Iowa and lose the rest of em, it's a failure.

same with Georgia Tech: a 10-1 season where Tech wins the ACC but loses to UGa is a success overall but plop for that week. the reverse, 1-10 with the only win being over the Mongrels is a failure with only one bright spot.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Given the choice as a Notre Dame fan, the two sort of go hand in hand cus we have a lot of rivals (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Navy, and of course South Central). We lose to our rivals, we likely dont' go bowling.

as a Wisconsin fan, I want a Rose Bowl. If we only beat Minnesota and Iowa and lose the rest of em, it's a failure.

same with Georgia Tech: a 10-1 season where Tech wins the ACC but loses to UGa is a success overall but plop for that week. the reverse, 1-10 with the only win being over the Mongrels is a failure with only one bright spot.

Damn dude how many favorite teams have you got? Who do you root for if say Wisconsin plays Tech in a Bowl game? :D

BB52Big.jpg

Archived