Best Sports Team Ever

nwtrailtrekker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I despise them, I cannot fathom how you could omit the Montreal Canadiens from this rather subpar list. It's OK if you're not a hockey fan, but to place the Broncos of the 1990s on the list and ignore the Habs is irresponsible at best.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I cannot fathom how you could omit the Montreal Canadiens from this rather subpar list. It's OK if you're not a hockey fan, but to place the Broncos of the 1990s on the list and ignore the Habs is irresponsible at best.

I was thinking that too.

teamsnew2.png

1996bulls.jpg

1995-96 & 1996-97 Chicago Bulls

72-10, 69-13, respectively.

That is ridiculous. They win it BY FAR, IMO.

NFL: 85 Chicago Bears

NHL: The whole damn Oilers Dynasty

MLB: 98 Yankees

NCAAF: 1958-67 Oklahoma Sooners

NCAAB: 70's UCLA Bruins

we've always thought about the best team ever in a sport, but how about any sport. i know its hard to determine because of he leagues' varying skill level, but lets try to give it a go.

all time?

90's broncos?

00's Patriots?

60's Celtics?

mult. decades Lakers?

Yankees?

how about current?

'90s Broncos? Why?

The Broncos can't even be considered the Team of the '90s. That distinction goes to the Cowboys, whose 3 Super Bowl titles trump the pair the Broncos won.

The '90s Broncos aren't better than any Team of the Decade: '80s 49ers, '70s Steelers or '60s Packers. Were you serious with that?

By the numbers, the most dominant team in any sport in the US is UNC's women's soccer team. 18 national titles in 26 years. 26 losses in 26 seasons. 16 Olympians. 9 players on the current national team, and dozens more on previous national teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Please clarify for us:

Best Dynasty (which is how most of us apparently interpreted this) or Best Single-Season Team? What are you looking for?

The way you wrote it, and the list you included, leads me to think you meant dynasty.

(Either way, the answer sure as hell ain't "'90s Broncos"... <_< )

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Best One-Season Team:

1948 Cleveland Browns or 1972 Miami Dolphins, take your pick. Going undefeated in pro football, then or now, is hard as hell.

Best Multi-Season Team:

Boston Celtics, 1960's. The Bulls might've won 6 in 9 years, but the Celtics won 8. In a row.

Best Multi-Decade Team:

New York Yankees. You could kinda make a case for the Canadiens, but most of their Stanley Cups were won in an era when the NHL had 6 teams and 4 made the playoffs every year.

nav-logo.png

Come on now. Give the 1998 Broncos some credit. They did start out like 12-0 or 13-0 and rolled straight through the playoffs.

Nah man. By that logic, they're not as good as the '85 Bears, and those Bears aren't as good as the '72 Dolphins, who did the same thing. And didn't one of the 49ers teams go 15-1 ('84?), and start out on fire (9-0, 10-0)? A few other teams have gone 14-2 and won Super Bowls ('91 Redskins come to mind). What about the '62 Packers (13-1, won 10 in a row)?

Still not buying it. They were a great team, but his post was Best Sports Team Ever. I don't even know if that team makes the All-Time Top 10.

2007nleastchamps.png

NFL: '89 San Francisco 49ers

NBA: '96 Chicago Bulls

NHL: '84 Edmonton Oilers

MLB: '04 Boston Red Sox

NCAAF: '04 Southern California Trojans

You know there were sports before 1980.

2004 Red Sox? Come on they didn't even win their division.

1906 Cubs..

'27 Yankees..

'42 Cardinals... (won 43 of the last 51 games)

'55 Dodgers

70s A's

'93 Blue Jays...

'98 Yankees...

there were many many more teams better than the '04 Red Sox.

NFL: '89 San Francisco 49ers

NBA: '96 Chicago Bulls

NHL: '84 Edmonton Oilers

MLB: '04 Boston Red Sox

You know there were sports before 1980.

2004 Red Sox? Come on they didn't even win their division.

1906 Cubs..

'27 Yankees..

'42 Cardinals... (won 43 of the last 51 games)

'55 Dodgers

70s A's

'93 Blue Jays...

'98 Yankees...

there were many many more teams better than the '04 Red Sox.

I'm not much of a baseball fan outside of the Cubs, sorry. BUT, I think what the Red Sox did in the post season on the Yankees then sweeping the Cardinals made it the greatest post season run of all-time, or at least my era.

6uXNWAo.png

Come on now.  Give the 1998 Broncos some credit.  They did start out like 12-0 or 13-0 and rolled straight through the playoffs.

Nah man. By that logic, they're not as good as the '85 Bears, and those Bears aren't as good as the '72 Dolphins, who did the same thing. And didn't one of the 49ers teams go 15-1 ('84?), and start out on fire (9-0, 10-0)? A few other teams have gone 14-2 and won Super Bowls ('91 Redskins come to mind). What about the '62 Packers (13-1, won 10 in a row)?

Still not buying it. They were a great team, but his post was Best Sports Team Ever. I don't even know if that team makes the All-Time Top 10.

A conversation about the Broncos without me, well that didn't last long.

Seriously though, the '98 Broncos were, I believe, the 3rd greatest NFL team of all time, behind the '72 Dolphins & '85 Bears. They started 13-0 and lost two consecutive games to the Giants & Dolphins (hmm, same two teams they lost to this year). They totally dominated through the playoffs, the only rough stretch was the first half of the AFC Championship game, other than that, they owned. Would have been a better Super Bowl had it been Minnesota instead of Atlanta.

Do I believe they belong up as one of the greatest teams ever? Only in the NFL, in all sports they don't crack the top ten.

If you think about it logically and speculate, the Broncos could have won four straight Super Bowls. I know you're all laughing but bear with me here. They were the best team in the NFL in the regular season in 1996, and if Elway hadn't retired, they most likely would have rolled to a third straight at least in 1999. So that could have been four consecutive. But we all know that didn't happen, therefore they are just known as a good team of the 90's and by far not the best dynasty as they never got a chance to build one up.

Would have been a better Super Bowl had it been Minnesota instead of Atlanta.

What the hell? Minnesota obviously didn't deserve to be there, since the Dirty Birds beat em on their way there.

Wait...you've been saying this year's USC team is the greatest ever? What gives? Did you finally wake up?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived