NY Giants to wear red this Sunday

Gmac1018

I knew that the Giants used to wear red, but I never saw a picture of them in action until I found this:

1949 Giants-Steelers

I like the way these look (even though it looks like one guy is wearing a red helmet).  And I actually like the current reds, too.  Use them once a year as an alternate, and I'm cool with it.

They are great pictures. I love seeing photos/films of games played in old baseball stadiums (Wrigley, Fenway, Griffith, Briggs/Tiger, etc.), where the fields are sort of shoehorned in and there are occasional large stretches of the field with no seats around them. They just always look very cool.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one red helmet is killing me!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :evil:

Worst alternates in the league. I freaking hate them. HATE them. If we have to have an alt, just use the classic 80s royal blue throwback.

We're BIG BLUE. Not BIG RED.

Red has been a major part of the Giants identity since they adopted blue and red in the 1930's. Just because someone gave them a nickname doesn't mean it should set the benchmark for their uniforms. Jesus.....

At least they aren't Orange and Black like they were for the first few years of their existance.

I like the Red Alts, but i don't like the losing that occered in them. If we don't beat the Cowboys, bury those things.

(P.S. Would it not be cool if they went with the "Flying Wing" helmet to fit that era of uniforms?)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

(P.S. Would it not be cool if they went with the "Flying Wing" helmet to fit that era of uniforms?)

Do you mean something along the lines of the Mel Hein helmets? Wouldn't those be a few years ahead of the era in cmm's pictures?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I really like the red alts. They're simple, classy, and they chose the right color for an alternate (not black).

Just enjoy the fact that these are some of the nicer alternates in football, and keep in mind that if a certain company ran the world they would be wearing these:

giants.JPG

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I knew that the Giants used to wear red, but I never saw a picture of them in action until I found this:

1949 Giants-Steelers

I like the way these look (even though it looks like one guy is wearing a red helmet).  And I actually like the current reds, too.  Use them once a year as an alternate, and I'm cool with it.

They are great pictures. I love seeing photos/films of games played in old baseball stadiums (Wrigley, Fenway, Griffith, Briggs/Tiger, etc.), where the fields are sort of shoehorned in and there are occasional large stretches of the field with no seats around them. They just always look very cool.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past.htm

Some pretty cool ones here, though it's OT

1949 Giants-Steelers

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past.htm

Some pretty cool ones here, though it's OT

Keeping it off-topic, I actually found those pictures on this website:

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/index.shtml

Not a ton of old pictures here, but this guy actually makes diagrams of each MLB stadium. I think it's pretty cool. I usually go to http://www.ballparks.com/index.html when I'm in the mood to look at some old pictures of old stadiums.

Maurice: Where are you giants from?

Alex the Lion: We're from New York.

Julian: All hail the New York Giants!

Madagascar-crate_L.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Red has been a major part of the Giants identity since they adopted blue and red in the 1930's. Just because someone gave them a nickname doesn't mean it should set the benchmark for their uniforms. Jesus.....

At least they aren't Orange and Black like they were for the first few years of their existance.

Actually, their colors have always been blue & red since the team's inception in 1925.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Actually, their colors have always been blue & red since the team's inception in 1925.

All right, which one of you has the backup on this?

According to Pantone's project, they've always been red and blue:

PDF of team colors (see page 107)

Also, the Maple Leaf Productions plaques only show red and blue.

I meant a RELIABLE source. :P

P.S. Interesting side note on the Maple Leaf Productions site -- if I am seeing things correctly (and I may not be because the images are small), none of the Ravens prints depict the flying shield logo at all (obviously because of the litigation).

I know for a fact it was stated in the Giants 75th anniverasy video that the team originally wore Orange and Black, as well as having seen it stated in print in many NFL history books. And honestly, it's impossible to show photograpic evidence because by the time color photography was widely availible, the Giants had switched to Blue and Red.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived