Best Response to Nike Uniforms

rockchalk

Okay, so I'm an idiot too, but I still hate Nike's uniforms.

I?m getting extremely tired of all the people talking bad about NIKE and the uniforms that they have created recently.  All we ever hear about is how bad they are and how sick NIKE is....now the other side's voice needs to be heard. I am a 20 year old college student and D2 football player.  Everyone on my team loves the new jerseys of VT, Miami, Florida, and Oregon.  WE wish desperately that our team could get them.  WE should poll the age of all the people that complain about NIKE's uniforms because most of the player, young people, and high school recruits love them.  Alumni at VT were pressuring Beamer to never wear those orange sleeved jersey's again but he said he asked all the recruits that he visited after the BC game what they thought and they overwhelmingly loved them.  So lets not be too quick to bash NIKE, they might know exactly what they are doing.... thanks, GO VT. ? Greg J.

A: You?re an idiot. I don?t mean that as a slap to you personally, I mean that because you?re a 20-year-old college student, and all 20-year-old college students are idiots. I was an idiot when I was a 20-year-old-college student. My pappy was an idiot when he was a 20-year-old college student. His pappy was an idiot when he was a 20-year-old college student.

I'm obviously joking. Being old, I'm now part of the problem and after spending the weekend with my sister, who's off to college next year, I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets to go off to school. But I do remember what its like to not have any taste.

Let me guess; 96% of your T-Shirts have something written on them. You think 50 Cent is great but have never heard of Erik B. & Rakim. You can?t get into a bar without a fake ID. Simply put, 15 years from now you?ll look back on your life and realize, as those of us who had mullets or hi-top fades back in the day are now able to realize, that you are simply wrong. Then again, I?m 35 and appear to be taking lessons on how to look and dress from Dave Grohl, so what do I know?

It?s not Nike?s fault on the jerseys. You?re right; they?re geniuses at market research and knowing what idiots, er, kids like.

Source

Well put Fiu, well put.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Nike is out of hand. They aren't in it for improving uniforms or being originators. They are in it to $ell and they don't care how they market their product anymore. I highly doubt that any D1 recruit chose Miami, VT, or FL because they have a jersey with one orange sleeve. As far as a D2 school is concerned...they only want one to draw attention to themselves because nobody cares. As far as the 20 year old, when I was 20, I was worried about my education, my money, and most importantly having fun and meeting girls. Nowhere once did an orange sleeve have importance to me. There is a point when you can be hip or make a fashion statement, but there is also the point where you have to listen to people (the majority no matter age) say you look a bit silly and you shouldn't wear that.

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't care for the Nike uniforms really but that was an amazingly stupid and condescending response.

The guy is saying that when you're 35 you realize how stupid you were at 20, but it seems just as likely that when you turn 35 you go around saying, "today's stuff sucks, the stuff that was around when I was 20 was the greatest."

I wouldn't have as big of a problem with them if they were just new unique uniform designs. That I can stand. I don't like the look, but you know, whatever. THere are things I don't like that everyone loves.

But the simple fact that the sole purpose of them was to promote a product, that's what was sick about this whole thing. Yes I know the entire uniform is product placement, but this is a new level where teh uniform design was based on an under garment. I mean, is Fruit of the Loom going to have a different colored crotch to promote their new Jockstrap next season?

Its like those ugly "elite" jerseys. Those were not made for the sole purpose of promoting a silver nike undershirt. I don't like them, but I can live with it.

Nike is out of hand. They aren't in it for improving uniforms or being originators.

Agreed...

As far as the 20 year old, when I was 20, I was worried about my education, my money, and most importantly having fun and meeting girls. Nowhere once did an orange sleeve have importance to me.

Agreed again...BUT, when you are a pampered D1 college athlete, (some)you don't worry about your education, because you have a free ride, you don't worry about your money, because of that free ride and $100 handshakes and envelopes full of $$$ from over-zealous alumni, you have the chicks flocking all over you so you have that at your beck-and-call, and your main focus is having fun and looking for that fat NFL/NBA contract.

So, when you don't have to worry about those things, that one colored sleeve on an undershirt looms large. Remember, there might be a big fat pro contract so you can buy you a ...... Well, I won't go there.

But for us that paid for our own education, the one colored sleeve is not a big deal.

I have to agree with what he said, most of the young'uns (like myself) freakin love the Nike uniforms.

Except for Oregon. That was garbage and killed Nike's image for me entirely.

What I don't like about Nike is the Eliteist (no pun) attitude it presents when outfitting its teams (Elite and otherwise) with uniforms that have arbitrary colors and stripes. I'm not talking about schools adding unnecessary black (that's a different point entirely). But to make a jersey with a different color sleeve, or adding a gray patch to to a team that doesn't wear gray, just because they can, it's like Nike is extending a big middle finger to the sporting public. It says "fluff you, we'll make them wear whatever we want, and they'll like it, because it's publicity".

What are the odds Nike makes a red Duke jersey? How about a purple Oregon uniform? One-piece football uniforms? Pinstriped codpieces?

At this point, nothing seems out of the realm of possibility anymore. They'll do it because they can.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Let me guess; 96% of your T-Shirts have something written on them. You think 50 Cent is great but have never heard of Erik B. & Rakim.

It?s not Nike?s fault on the jerseys. You?re right; they?re geniuses at market research and knowing what idiots, er, kids like.

Source

Well put Fiu, well put.

Sorry, but a few points were docked for trying to appear old school by name checking Eric B & Rakim, but then spelling the name wrong. ;)

Other than that, it's fine.

Archived