Wings in White at home?

Puckguy14

Watching the intermission of the Sharks game on OLN, and even the commentators were perplexed why the Red Wings were in white. Anyone have the answer?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I was watching the game last night, and it was mentioned that the GM's had talked earlier in the season and planned on swapping jerseys for the night.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I like white jerseys at home for hockey and basketball, but that's becasue I'm more accustomed to seeing it that way. Also, I don't like it when teams go all black. That's hideous and I would only want to see all black if it's against a rival or a huge game where a team is trying to gain some sort of edge.

Dark at home/White on the road IS the way it should be and the way it has been for much of the existance of the NHL. Changing it up isnt too bad every now and then, but I'd much rather see darks at home anytime.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

In pre-television era, the colored base jersey was the principal one. We don't have to forget that in hockey the white base jersey have been created to avoid same color match-ups in greater arenas (Detroit vs Montréal, etc.)

In my mind, teams should have the choice of their jerseys at home in any game. It's a matter of tradition: Per exemple, Habs should not be told what jersey to wear at home when they face the Nashville Premustards.

In general, if I was the g.m. of any team I would use these ones:

Actual Color base:

MON, TOR, OTT (the red one), BOS (70's black)

NYR, PHI (orange), PIT,

ATL, CAR, TB, FLA (red), WAS

STL, NSH, CBJ, CHI

MIN, COL, CAL (the '04 run was awesome!)

DAL, LA, PHX, SJ, ANA

White base:

BUF ('80s White)

EDM, NYI, NJ (both teams won cups with them at home)

DET (I agree with a previous comment)

VCR (Any but the actual dark)

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

I don't care if the NHL had dark at home in the 50s, it makes more sense to have the home team in white. Basketball and baseball do it, works for them. Football probably should as well

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree. I don't care what was done 50 years ago. For my entire life NHL teams wore white at home and that is what I like and am used to. The NFL is the only exception to this and since they have always been like that, it is fine with me.

It seems like the NHL made this decision for no good reason.

The rationale for it is an even better reason why white should be worn at home.

Maybe the Red Wings can do a Cowboys deal in the meantime, just wear the red and white full-time unless forced into all red.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't care if the NHL had dark at home in the 50s, it makes more sense to have the home team in white. Basketball and baseball do it, works for them. Football probably should as well

How does it "make more sense" to wear white jerseys at home? :blink:

WHy not take the soccer approach and let both teams wear their darks if there's no problems of contrast?

Because it's so logical that it'd work. Besides, if you don't like separate home and road uniforms for your hockey teams, then you're against America... and the terrorists win.

:lol: I apologize profusely. And I am actually in full agreement with WM - a main color jersey and a "clash kit" would be more than enough. And think of it - the Flyers in the '80s versions of the orange jerseys almost all the time. Ducks in jade with eggplant clash sweaters. Preds in mustard yellow. Bruins in gold. It could definitely be done.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I have been, and always will be, an advocate for the dark jerseys at home. I've been hoping for this since i was 8 (i've always been a historian :P )

Now they've done it, and everyone hates it? why? White at home is soooo boring. Darks at home forever.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived