The Ballard Leaf

BJ Sands

I've been on this board for a while now and have noticed that any new Leafs concept always ditches the current leaf. I've always thought that the current, or Ballard, leaf is much cooler and a reasonable update of the old leaf.

Why all the hate? Is there some design intricacy I'm missing, or is just hatred of anything having to do with Harold Ballard?

Just for reference purposes...

The current leaf

TORONTO_MAPLE_LEAFS.jpg

The old leaf

leafs1.jpg

The old leaf has character, it has.. a look to it that makes it unique. The newer leaf just looks so.. cold, machine-like. It's not a bad design, but i've always considered the older design to be superior.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I've been on this board for a while now and have noticed that any new Leafs concept always ditches the current leaf. I've always thought that the current, or Ballard, leaf is much cooler and a reasonable update of the old leaf.

Why all the hate? Is there some design intricacy I'm missing, or is just hatred of anything having to do with Harold Ballard?

Just for reference purposes...

The current leaf

TORONTO_MAPLE_LEAFS.jpg

The old leaf

leafs1.jpg

I love the current Leaf, but with the whole Throwback craze, there is no wonder why people are liking the stuff from the past. I myself like both leafs, I have nothing against the current leaf, and in fact, I think the 70's Leafs jersey is the nicest set they have had, same with the 70's Rangers. I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, but I just think it looked mighty slick.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It's a number of things.

First, as JQK pointed out, the old Leaf has character, and has the same "feel" the Canadiens' "C", the Yankees' "NY", and the Celtics Irishman have. As far as design goes, the Ballard leaf is a nice update, but it's just so updated it just dosn't have the "feel" of the old leaf, or even 1967-1970 leaf logo (the one basded off of the leafs on the Canadian flag).

Secondly, Harold Ballard is someone fans of teh Toronto Maple Leafs would like to forget. I wasn't even alive for most of his reign of terror, and I still despise him for what he did, or tried to do to the Leafs. He scarpped the 67-70 Leaf jereseys and logo (which were actually nice updates of the old leaf most of us perfer) and replaced them with those awful modern unis used from 1970-1992(?). With those awful unis and disrespect of tradition came the current leaf, so it was doomed from the start as an icon of disrespect for the Leafs tradition.

Finally, the Ballard Leaf is the only Leafs logo that has never "won a cup." Infact, they havn't even been to the finals since they introduced it in 1970. So it carries a stigma of bad luck (I know technically the Leafs havn't won the cup since 1967, when the Canadian flag leafs was still used, but at least that Leafs logo got a cup win, as opposed to zero for the Ballard Leaf). The old leaf, now used as the logo on the club's throwback/alternate jerseys, represents the glory years of the Toronto Maple Leafs franchise, when they won 9 of their 13 Cups. The Ballard Leaf represents years of frustration and faliur, as well as the man Harold Ballard himself.

It's a number of things.

First, as JQK pointed out, the old Leaf has character, and has the same "feel" the Canadiens' "C", the Yankees' "NY", and the Celtics Irishman have. As far as design goes, the Ballard leaf is a nice update, but it's just so updated it just dosn't have the "feel" of the old leaf, or even 1967-1970 leaf logo (the one basded off of the leafs on the Canadian flag).

Secondly, Harold Ballard is someone fans of teh Toronto Maple Leafs would like to forget. I wasn't even alive for most of his reign of terror, and I still despise him for what he did, or tried to do to the Leafs. He scarpped the 67-70 Leaf jereseys and logo (which were actually nice updates of the old leaf most of us perfer) and replaced them with those awful modern unis used from 1970-1992(?). With those awful unis and disrespect of tradition came the current leaf, so it was doomed from the start as an icon of disrespect for the Leafs tradition.

Finally, the Ballard Leaf is the only Leafs logo that has never "won a cup." Infact, they havn't even been to the finals since they introduced it in 1970. So it carries a stigma of bad luck (I know technically the Leafs havn't won the cup since 1967, when the Canadian flag leafs was still used, but at least that Leafs logo got a cup win, as opposed to zero for the Ballard Leaf). The old leaf, now used as the logo on the club's throwback/alternate jerseys, represents the glory years of the Toronto Maple Leafs franchise, when they won 9 of their 13 Cups. The Ballard Leaf represents years of frustration and faliur, as well as the man Harold Ballard himself.

Awww, I'm like Braden in the sense of liking something most others dont. Actually, the first time I wore my 70's away Leafs jersey this year they won a game, so it isnt that bad of stigma. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

While the old leaf looks very 40's-50's in design, the newer one looks very 70's

I say, time for a new-new leaf. With respect to the old leaf, which i find very cool.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

It's a number of things.

Awww, I'm like Braden in the sense of liking something most others dont. Actually, the first time I wore my 70's away Leafs jersey this year they won a game, so it isnt that bad of stigma. :P

so you would add more graphite to teh leaf?

The old leaf has character, it has.. a look to it that makes it unique. The newer leaf just looks so.. cold, machine-like. It's not a bad design, but i've always considered the older design to be superior.

Ditto

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I love the Ballard Leaf. I was suprised when I realized most on here don't. Though I know nothing of the history of the two logos.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well heres something to know the Leafs have never won a Cup with the Ballard Leaf and I think part of teh longing for the better leaf is with in that fact too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like the Ballard Leaf, although I agree that it doesn't have as much character as the classic Leaf. But for some reason, I never really liked the classic Leaf as much. I agree with Gothamite that the 1967-70 Leaf is a pretty fair compromise between the two styles.

What I liked, though, was in the 90's and early 00's when they had both Leafs on the uniforms -- the Ballard Leaf as crest and the classic Leaf on the shoulder, mius the wordmark, along with the more modern number font (that's still being used for the surnames). That was the best instance I've seen of a team updating to a modern look while keeping the integrity of the old look.

philly.png

I like the Ballard Leaf, although I agree that it doesn't have as much character as the classic Leaf. But for some reason, I never really liked the classic Leaf as much. I agree with Gothamite that the 1967-70 Leaf is a pretty fair compromise between the two styles.

What I liked, though, was in the 90's and early 00's when they had both Leafs on the uniforms -- the Ballard Leaf as crest and the classic Leaf on the shoulder, mius the wordmark, along with the more modern number font (that's still being used for the surnames). That was the best instance I've seen of a team updating to a modern look while keeping the integrity of the old look.

I didnt really like the number style on that uni, but I agree. I liked the shoulder patch on those 90's sets better than the TML. However, I like their current set, with the underarm/side mesh and name-style better than any they've had.

Archived