The latest team threatening to move...the SONICS?

Saint Zephyr III

Below is an excerpt from ESPN:

SEATTLE -- If the city and the Legislature don't respond to requests to upgrade Key Arena by the end of the 2006 legislative session, the Seattle SuperSonics will begin entertaining offers from other cities, team chief executive Wally Walker says.

Walker made the comments Monday, after the Seattle City Council made clear it would not complete its information-gathering process with regard to potential renovation of the arena until February. That leaves the Sonics little time to put together a financing package to present in Olympia; the legislative session begins in January.

If lawmakers don't consider the issue next term, the next chance for resolution would be in 2007, Walker said -- too close to the team's 2010 lease expiration for comfort.

"If the city can't make up its mind whether they want us here past 2010, then we have to look at all our options," Walker told The News Tribune of Tacoma.

Last year, lawmakers rejected a request to finance a $200 million Key Arena expansion.

Other cities interested in landing an NBA franchise include Kansas City, Mo.; Oklahoma City; Anaheim, Calif.; and Las Vegas.

Personally, the Las Vegas Sonics don't sound too shabby.

GR30a5H.png

Okay, this is simply insane!!! First we get the shocking news that the Charlotte Colisseum, built way way back in 1988, was too old to house an NBA team, the Memphis Pyramid is unsuitable for NBA basketball despite its beiing built in 1992, the Target Center in Minneapolis is nearing obsolescence (and it was built in 1990!) and now the Sonics are pushing for a new arena despite it being just around 10 years (or less) since Key was totally overhauled? What is it with NBA teams going through arenas like the White Sox went through uniforms in the 70's and 80's?

I can understand where buildings dating back more than 30-40 years might not be able to support an expansion of luxury boxes (although they didn't seem to have much of a problem fixing Oakland's gym up), but buildings built around or after the time I graduated college? I think not. What a terrible waste to even consider replacing these arenas.

Okay, this is simply insane!!! First we get the shocking news that the Charlotte Colisseum, built way way back in 1988, was too old to house an NBA team, the Memphis Pyramid is unsuitable for NBA basketball despite its beiing built in 1992, the Target Center in Minneapolis is nearing obsolescence (and it was built in 1990!) and now the Sonics are pushing for a new arena despite it being just around 10 years (or less) since Key was totally overhauled? What is it with NBA teams going through arenas like the White Sox went through uniforms in the 70's and 80's?

I can understand where buildings dating back more than 30-40 years might not be able to support an expansion of luxury boxes (although they didn't seem to have much of a problem fixing Oakland's gym up), but buildings built around or after the time I graduated college? I think not. What a terrible waste to even consider replacing these arenas.

Its fine with me as long as teams foot most of the bill. But there have been a few publically paid for ones that were really needed that people bitched at: GABP and PBS in Cincy and the new Indiana Stadium here in Indy. Some people say it isnt needed, but it is. The RCA Dome sucks, and we can use an expanded convention center.

Below is an excerpt from ESPN:

SEATTLE -- If the city and the Legislature don't respond to requests to upgrade Key Arena by the end of the 2006 legislative session, the Seattle SuperSonics will begin entertaining offers from other cities, team chief executive Wally Walker says.

Walker made the comments Monday, after the Seattle City Council made clear it would not complete its information-gathering process with regard to potential renovation of the arena until February. That leaves the Sonics little time to put together a financing package to present in Olympia; the legislative session begins in January.

If lawmakers don't consider the issue next term, the next chance for resolution would be in 2007, Walker said -- too close to the team's 2010 lease expiration for comfort.

"If the city can't make up its mind whether they want us here past 2010, then we have to look at all our options," Walker told The News Tribune of Tacoma.

Last year, lawmakers rejected a request to finance a $200 million Key Arena expansion.

Other cities interested in landing an NBA franchise include Kansas City, Mo.; Oklahoma City; Anaheim, Calif.; and Las Vegas.

Personally, the Las Vegas Sonics don't sound too shabby.

OKC is getting the Hornets, Anaheim should get the Clippers

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

seattle deserves a team..they deserve to keep the sonics..this is kind of crazy to keep threathening cities if they don't build "new" arenas..most of these cities can't afford housing, roads or schools anymore..

i guess as long as las vegas is around these threats will come up

how many minor league teams have even been successful in las vegas?

Key Arena was just rebuilt 10 years ago what are they kidding me?

I was thinking this too. I've been to Key Arena, it is VERY nice, I dont understand why they feel like they need a new arena already. Seattle fans are very passionate, although at times get carried away with profanity, but they definitely support the Sonics.

metslogo_215.gif

It's just a bargaining chip being used by the Sonics brass to get what they want out of the city and state govt....and expect to hear a lot more of Vegas/KC/OKC/Anaheim in these kind of roles as long as they don't have teams...

Just fluffin idiotic...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

It's just a bargaining chip being used by the Sonics brass to get what they want out of the city and state govt....and expect to hear a lot more of Vegas/KC/OKC/Anaheim in these kind of roles as long as they don't have teams...

Just fluffin idiotic...

The state has a horrible record when it comes to not giving in to sports teams, though. Safeco Field, Qwest Field, I'm looking at you.

Just fluffin idiotic...

The state has a horrible record when it comes to not giving in to sports teams, though. Safeco Field, Qwest Field, I'm looking at you.

That's very true in that regard...

But, the Hawks and M's needed new facilities badly...

KeyArena was redone in 1996. Looking for a new arena just a decade after massive renovations were done looks rather greedy on the part of the Sonics.

I'm willing to bet the city and state are going to view it in the same regard, seeing (and I hope I'm correct on this) they footed the bill for the renovations of Seattle Center/KeyArena.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I would hate to see the Sonics move from Seattle, especially they are the city's oldest major league sports franchise. But they do play in the NBA's oldest building (opened in 1962), regardless if they consider the KeyArena as a "new building", it's still the same existing structure as the Seattle Center Coliseum. However, like RickV mentioned, it does still look very nice (at least from watching it on television, last night's game in particular). It does baffle me that arenas built in the mid to late 1980s, such as the Bradley Center, Arco Arena, Charlotte Coliseum, and to a lesser extent the Palace of Auburn Hills are considered obsolete by NBA standards.

I know they have plans for renovations of Bradley, even some small ones have taken place in the last couple years, and I know the people of Milwaukee don't want to foot the bill for another $200+ million sports facility after the mess with Miller Park. I think we all know the story of the Maloofs trying to get the people of Sacramento to build the Kings a new arena, and with Charlotte, by looking at the Coliseum last year when the Bobcats played there, they just let the place just totally deteroiate. Even about five years ago, the Hive still looked in very good shape, to me, instead just wasting 200-300 million to build the Bobcats Arena, they could just simply spent at least half of that to renovate the Coliseum, or just planned ahead and built the luxury suites that were needed in the first place.

From what I read that was posted the Sonics are not looking for a new arena. They are asking for expansion and renovations to Key. THat's entirely different from a brand new arena. Now you can still make the argument that expansion of the arena isn't needed because they renovated majorly about 10 years ago. I'm sure it needs some renovations.

Again, I'm not saying the Soncis are right I'm just pointing out that they are not asking for a brand new arena.

seattle fans are definately devoted.

there is this one dude, got hurt at work, and collected big, never have to work another day in his life. has gone to every sonics, seahawks, mariners, and storm game for the last few years. big fat guy, always seen at seahawks games with his "SEA FENSE" sign

what im getting at is i dont think they'll ever move, along with the mariners or seahawks, they're here for better or worse.

i watched a local show recently hinting to a "Bellevue Sonics" future...hmm...

I know they have plans for renovations of Bradley, even some small ones have taken place in the last couple years, and I know the people of Milwaukee don't want to foot the bill for another $200+ million sports facility after the mess with Miller Park.

I think ol' Herb Kohl could cough up some more money to the Bradley Center and not use state or city funds for renovation.

I don't think the Sonics will move...the city will give in, me thinks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

From what I read that was posted the Sonics are not looking for a new arena. They are asking for expansion and renovations to Key. THat's entirely different from a brand new arena. Now you can still make the argument that expansion of the arena isn't needed because they renovated majorly about 10 years ago. I'm sure it needs some renovations.

Again, I'm not saying the Soncis are right I'm just pointing out that they are not asking for a brand new arena.

They have before and they were shot down. They also asked for a larger package than they are this time and were also rebuffed. Now they are asking for what they think they can get. Let 'em leave I say and remodel it for the Birds. ^_^

I think NBA and sports owners should make do with what facilites they've got, c'mon gees whats wrong with what they have now? do you see AFL clubs relocating because they have :censored: training ground? No, do you see European sports clubs moving cos they have a small stadium? No, bloody hell guys, they should stop whinging, if they want a new stadium, pay for it yourself, you should be tied to the city you started in FFS full of whingers these owners.....thats why i think membership ownership is better, members vote on changes....works over here

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived